The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should we just leave our Supra's standard?

Getrag

This is just for open discussion as its been playing on my mind for a while...

We know that Toyota made a Superb car in standard form, so should we just leave it as that?

We upgrade to bigger wheels when the standards give the best handling. Wider wheels which give worse grip in the wet. The UK brake system, although old is still very very good, so why change to other systems that wear out components quicker. We use different BOVS when the standard recirc is best. We derestrict the ehaust system leaving boost to rise and decrease the life of the turbo's, not to mention leading to the need for better plugs, pump, r/ring etc. We change induction when the standard system is best.

Granted, the MKIV has a few mechanical flaws but its only because they are so few that we know of them so well.

So should we just leave our cars standard and enjoy 100's of thousands of miles out of them instead of increasing servicing costs and decreasing the life of the car all for a bit of extra power? Discuss....

After modifying my last couple of cars I don't think I'll ever be able to leave another one standard :)

The smile you get when a new mod works perfectly makes it all worth while... well thought out mods makes it feel like you're buying a new car each time you improve the handling / performance etc.

if u decat, does your mpg go down the pan with it?

Mine wnet slightly up :D

I think changing the sup is really each to his own. It looks great as it is, but i think the thrill of playing with the engine so that your car performs as good as, if not better, than some 60-100 thousand pound car is just too tempting. How many people on here still have a copletelly bog standard MKiV?

I dont have a standard car, as you can see but it was just a point of discussion. I agree that it feels great to have a "more-unique" (how can i do that to the English language) car when you modify it. However, for every mod you do, it leads onto another 2 that need to be done to keep up and another one on the side to keep it all safe etc..... When it was all running safe and well to begin with. Kinda like chasing your tail sometimes...

I dont have a standard car, as you can see but it was just a point of discussion. I agree that it feels great to have a "more-unique" (how can i do that to the English language) car when you modify it. However, for every mod you do, it leads onto another 2 that need to be done to keep up and another one on the side to keep it all safe etc..... When it was all running safe and well to begin with. Kinda like chasing your tail sometimes...

Don't forget that with your now new unique car, you now have cut down on the amount of people who may consider buying it if you ever decide to sell. Not that im sure any of us are thinking of just yet, but one day maybe.

Interesting question. For a long time, I wasn't a fan of modding. I though "If it's designed to do x, why try to make it do y?". I considered the matter philosophically for some time, and my eventual conclusion was "Awww, stuff it."

One point to consider is that although the original design of the Supra (and indeed most cars these days) is very good, it was built down to a price, so there's always room for improvement. If Toyota's engineers hadn't been limited by the need to make the car relatively affordable, no doubt they would have chosen some higher spec componentry as well.

I work for a car manufacturer, and their basic means of operating is that the engineers choose the best components they can regardless of the price, then the bean counters make them choose the worst components they can regardless of performance instead, then they have a big fight, and eventually management force them to meet somewhere in the middle (although usually slightly closer to the bean counters :( )

Speaking as a recent de-catter, I feel somewhat liberated by the experience (oh, and for the record my mpg has gone up slightly as well - weird).

From experience the only time I ever wished I had not modded cars was when i went to sell them. Seems a mint std car is easy sold, and the extra's and mods are worth pretty much bugger all! lol.

Decatting was good for me, got the impression mpg was up but didnt actually test it.

If I only ever did one mod to my Supra, it would have been to kill that awful tyre noise/roar, that I'll never regret!.

Don't forget that with your now new unique car, you now have cut down on the amount of people who may consider buying it if you ever decide to sell. Not that im sure any of us are thinking of just yet, but one day maybe.

Doesn't apply to me as the next owner of my car will be my dad! lol :D

Me too. I've always been into midding for the "unique" stance and it keeps me interested but I reckon if I h ad a real nice facelift supe I'd be happy. Aside from the brakes and maybe the wheels. DAMN IT!!!!!

Something tells me that you err slightly on the side of modifying things Rosie.....:innocent:

While I like the look of a lot of heavily modified cars my finances tend to restrict me to enhancing things to make it suit my own needs and preferences - a few updated parts here and there, a bit more power and replacing anything that's worn out with an uprated alternative... if I had more cash I'd definately get carried away though :)

I have a few touches that make the car mine but it's not much different to any other slightly modded Supra out there I guess, makes me happy though.

the supra exterior, facelifted alloys and GZ interior are all awesome , wouldnt change them at all, in fact mine came with 18's gold & silver alloys on, as soon as i saw Terminators with stock facelift alloys i knew they had to (and did ) go.

as for the engine, i think, "mod" away - money was the only problem for me on that count.

My personal feeling on this...is not to overcook anything...Wheels are the best mod to carry out on any supra, other than that just a few things to give it the edge.

You are right Getreg the Supra is such a wicked looking car but you just need a couple of tiny twitches I feel to keep it looking 'ahead' on the style front especially as shapes and styles are changing all the time....Alloys are a bit like like trainers too...got to have the latest ones or you get laughed at!

Mine's stock i think apart from the wheels.

300 odd bhp is enough for the road especially in the wet, and hitting the limiter in top is fast enough don't you think?

The previous owner of my car tinted the windows, not my style, but loads of money to remove.(but the tint has been very well done!)

Anyway i like the look of stunned supercar drivers(german and italian ones :p ) as you pass them.

Toyota spent thousands of hours developing a 500+bhp engine then strangled it to keep emissions bureaucrats happy. Keep the stock looks apart from that silly black lip and unleash those horses. It handles well as stock, but so much better with a different suspension set up and you have a much quicker car without touching the engine. If you have JDM brakes up grade to UK brakes and again your car will be quicker as you can out brake most other cars on the road.

If you are comfortable with stock, why not, it is a great car anyway and even stock as good as cars costing 8 to 10 times as much.

Once you have experience the difference once you start adding horses it would have to be another car rather than going back to stock. Finding another car that was so well engineered, so quick and good looking for the price would be a real challenge. So I guess it would have to be a stock MKIV and start modding again.