The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The future of Jakes SZ Supra Build

ripped_fear

So many of you will be familiar with both my car and my ongoing build. This story nearly came to an end the other day as I have always had a figure in my mind that I said would make me sell. Well someone offered me that number, and after thinking about it long and hard, I think I have just said no! :blink: NA 5 speed and the offer is over 7k, I must be mad but I don't think I can do it. Writing the Spec list for it made me realise just how much I have done to it.

So if she's staying I have got to consider the future of the car as it needs more power. NA-t is the route I have always been leaning toward so for the sake of this thread please reframe from "drop a TT lump in in it" comments please.

I have a couple of thousand sat aside just for the supra, both a safety net for the car and a Mod fund.

If you were in my position would you take a completely one off custom kit which looks to be well made second hand for a good price, or pay 3x the amount on a wifbitz kit?

The custom kit will need a clutch ecu and some injectors but that is practically it, other than fitting and mapping.

This custom kit looks great in the pictures, the buyer has been great at communication and questions, its just the worry of a second hand turbo, wastgate and fmic that worry me.

What would you do? Please discuss as I'm making my decision by tomorrow afternoon.

Despite going down this route (NA-T) and achieving over 500bhp I wouldn't recommend this route unless you've already got a six speed box. Your car is a very nice example Jake if it was me I'd sell it for top money right now with NA 5 speeds in demand and import a nice TT6. You may also thinking that you can limit the power for now to preserve the W58 box but it won't be long till your craving more power and it'll only be a matter of time till the box gives up.

However with a good offer in place I'd definitely sell and start again with a TT6. The fun part is always building the car anyway, once it's done you can get bored after a while.

Edited by Josh42 (see edit history)

Also don't bother with a syvecs etc if you do go down the route a piggyback will do just fine. Should the engine give up at any point a replacement is fairly inexpensive. If you have any questions on the NA-T conversion feel free to fire me a pm, like I said I did the conversion with good results and would be happy to help.

I'd probably go for the 2nd hand custom kit. A huge amount depends on who is selling it though (and if it's not the same person, who's car it has come from): I wouldn't touch some sellers on here or on the facebook group with someone else's bargepole, let alone my own.

How long has the 2nd hand kit been fitted to another car? How many miles has it done?

I know very little about forced induction, but I would guess the FMIC should be OK as it has no moving parts?

Complete conversions seem to sell for around £2200. I believe Noz is considering selling his. However whilst £2200 seems a lot it's still half the price of a v160/161 conversions and replacement box can be had for a few hundred.

Thanks abtin90

If Noz still has the box for sale in the new year I may make him a cheeky offer.

I think by doing a N/A-T you wont add value to your car ! so Its just preferance , If you want a reliable easy going car or one thats not quite as easy going or reliable but faster

I beg to differ there mate, because if I applied that logic to my own car, an NA-T with a built block, it's worth no more than a standard Aerotop converted manual.

I beg to differ there mate, because if I applied that logic to my own car, an NA-T with a built block, it's worth no more than a standard Aerotop converted manual.

Maybe but as he has already been offered £7k for this clean stock N/A , I really dont think putting 3K in it will return him a 10K N/A-T with a w58,

even your self I dont think the money you have spent doing the N/A-T will be added to the value of your car , you might see an extra 1k for it being N/A-T but I doubt much more .

I could be way wrong though just my thoughts

Ok I will try to answer everyone here as best as I can.

abtin90 - Thanks for the advice If I go for it I will fire you a pm to pick your brains a bit.

stevie_b- This kit was once fitted to an NA auto and i nearly bought it from this guy, I was to slow and the new owner bought it and he is now selling on, due to personal situation. Unkown how much mileage it has covered as it was built in japan, All parts are quality, greddy turbo, turst and HKS stuff all fabricated.

j_jza80 - V8 is not an option

Supraleeturbo- See above for details on the kit,

Hitbox Junkie - That is the good thing these turbos are still produced and around £800 new, plus they can be rebuilt too. The gear bix would have to wait though until I have more funds.

Coleboy- Would you fit a turbo kit?! if so then yeah maybe a few late nights :D

mike33- probably the best kit on the market readily available for sure, this other kit has thrown a spanner in the works though.

mellonman- Not looking to do it to add money as such, although I would not want to make it loose money! The car has already had over 20k spent on it so I will never

make back the money. but not looking to sink another 10k into it to gain 1k in value. If the car has the power I dont think I would even consider selling.

Josh42- We need to have a talk about the NA-t route again for sure. if you get the chance today drop me a message on FB please. Wouldnt mind picking your brains

Buy the used kit, buy a £300 NA engine from ebay/here, fit everything at your leisure to this, things will be so much easier re oil lines, sump drilling etc etc and then you can swap in and map in one go, whilst all the while enjoying the car as is and also if you change your mind the NA-T kit + engine will have retained nearly all it's value whatever stage of construction its in. If all goes well you'll have an NA-T ready for next summer, a spare NA engine waiting in the wings and minimal driving downtime.

If you aren't diy'ing the mechanical bits i'd definitely sell or keep and leave NA

Nearly every conversion thread of this type seems to be filled with anguish or excessive cost, sometimes both!?

I'd seriously consider selling, then getting a clean replacement, try and break the mod/tinkering cycle as despite the journey and undoubted great results and lovely car, part of you knows that a mint TT6 could be on the drive instead.