The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can supra performance keep up with new car arrivals?

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, I am looking forward to the return of my transformed Mk4, circa 400 bhp, i know i will be happy with this power on tap but i just looked at this last months Auto Express mag with a VW Golf putting out 395 bhp, from a 2 lit engine.

It still looks like a weekend milkman's car to me, but for £40K this must be a serious fast car.0 to 60 in 3.9 secs, and top end at 174 mph.

For me there is a real buzz in getting a mk4 Supra with superb looks and aerodynamics, circa 20 years old, to give the current high tech , high cost hot hatches a run for their money.

What do you think?

Thankfully, the Supras were so over engineered that tuning them, if done properly, is simple and reliable. (though fairly expensive) the NA's do have a hard time with some of the tdi's now, but TTs still have respectable performance as stock, and will see off 90% of cars when BPU. :)

Put it this way,

Take the £40k you're about to spend on a golf and stick it in a supra.

Then tell me what can keep up

:yeahthat:

Plus, the annual depreciation on the Golf would easily pay for the annual fuel, insurance and road tax. And the Golf looks like any other hatchback with a bodykit.

No brainer :)

Not to sure about the performance, but the Supra never fails to turn heads.

I had 3 young kids about 12 - 13 the weekend looking at my car parked up, saying 'god we got to sit and wait for the owner to come back to hear it running'.

They were taking photos, then asking for me to rev it up to hear the exhaust.

Their faces were an absolute picture, when I stopped and gave it a cheeky rev.

Hi Pudsey, It's not just young potential petrol heads at my pub occasionally the older clan are all out on the front on nice days and the car park is full of all the fancy modern day £40k+ stuff, most of them all look the same, then you hear my beast kick up, i do not rev it as just cranking and letting it tick over at 850rpm sounds great, a deep burble sound, i then taxi down the runway to where the car park meets the main road, there is a bit of loose gravel there and i am turning hard right, with a manual box and limited slip diff i just give it the bifters and the gravel flies as you roar off, in some ways some of us never grow up, i confess.

Friends at my pub tell me car looks and sounds great and the take off display is well received, just a few who say "look at that pillock" hope he gets booked, etc, great in it.!

Modern, high compression, direct injection turbo petrol engines are an entirely different ball game to old stuff like the RB26 and 2JZ engines. Totally different... 300 plus reliable BHP with super low end torque to boot, from 2 litres? Superb, don't try keeping up with some of the newer VAG 2 liter turbos out of slow corners, they are plain awesome and near as damn it lagless.

I wouldn't be doing the gravel spraying starts with your turbo add on. Sitting at the "end of the runway" with a box full of stripped gear teeth is rather uncool ;)

Just for comparison I have a BPU 94 TT6 and had a play with a 2013 C63 AMG the other day and pulled on it slightly through each gear.

I'm just waiting to get a good day to put it up against our C63 AMG 507 to get a direct comparison before going single.

I think it will be interesting.

Modern, high compression, direct injection turbo petrol engines are an entirely different ball game to old stuff like the RB26 and 2JZ engines. Totally different... 300 plus reliable BHP with super low end torque to boot, from 2 litres? Superb, don't try keeping up with some of the newer VAG 2 liter turbos out of slow corners, they are plain awesome and near as damn it lagless.

I wouldn't be doing the gravel spraying starts with your turbo add on. Sitting at the "end of the runway" with a box full of stripped gear teeth is rather uncool ;)

Chris, The majority of club members i guess are younger guys, and may be some girls as well, and we older ones are not supposed to spoil things.lol.

For gravel spraying there is no need to drop the clutch, i never do that as it would not be nice for the box even pre NAT, you don't need much to put the gravel up and the same on wet days.

i will be happy to have just some umph in reserve to take care of 95% of modern cars, and with the silly cost of new cars, which you cannot work on or play around with, i am happy with my old friend, looks good, feels good, and by golly it does you good.

I will also have more horses now than my brother has with his TT. lol.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)