The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car cover for street parked Supra...?

Glanza_Mike

Hi guys, looking for some recommendations really, my Supra is parked on the street although it is a very, very quite side road with only about 2 houses so it's thankfully not seen too often.

I was planninh on getting a gargage built for it before winter but i just dont have the time or the money at the minute so i'm considering a car cover to protect it from the elements through winter and keep it cleaner for longer. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cheap one (incase it gets nicked being on the road) that is quite quick to remove and fit? And obviously that fits the Supra :)

Thanks

I would personally just use a good wax and/or sealant on your paint, and something like rain-x on the glass, and just wash the car regularly. From what I've heard, the outdoor covers can flatten the paintwork.

This. Ours was undercover for 4 years and although it didn't flatten the paint, we did have issues with moisture under the cover in the winter months when cold and also during high winds it was a nightmare. The number of nights I was out in the dark removing the thing as it was flapping about.

H.

A cover will only keep it clean too, the underside and engine etc will still end up victim to humidity and damp.

I'd say give it a miss, if you want to keep your car outside thought the winter use a long term sealant like Fusso to project the paint as much as possible and just clean off any bird poo/snow etc as you spot it

Alright thanks for all the advice chaps, and yeah Chris i do indeed have a clifford alarm and does do the chirpy sound if something is too close, i didnt even consider that good point! Looks like she'll be getting a real good clean and many coats of wax on the next nice weekend day then! Thanks for your help boys.

When Christian (Stonkin) off the forum detailed my car he recommended to always use a good wax rather than putting it under a cover too. As mentioned the paint needs to breath and moisture build up constant rubbing of the cover (even if it is soft underneath) is not great for the paint.

The most important thing is to spray "Waxoil" into the doors and above the plastic mud covers under the four wings also drill holes at the top of the tailgate and inject, you need a good pressure to atomise the hot oil, i have done this on my baby from new 19 years ago, every 4 years, it's the rust you cannot see that kills them, wax on the paint ok, also never garage a wet car, and after winter power wash the engine bay etc, salt can take out your radiator and intercooler etc.