The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra Owner, need help plz.

Burna

Hi all,

Just recently joined as a member so I thought I would introduce myself. I bought a Supra at the end of November 2004, UK Twin Turbo Auto Black un-modifed. It is the best thing I have ever bought! Just wish I had done it years ago. Never thought a car could be so much fun to drive, but I have learnt even with traction control it does bite back lol.

I live in the West Midlands and was hoping someone could tell if there is garage that someone can recomend that know all about working on a Supra as I have been told just because it is a Toyota doesnt mean that the guys at the local Toyota dealership are going to know how to work on a Supra, how true this is I don't know, was hoping you guys could educate me a little :)

The car has done 80,000 what does anyone suggest I get checked or changed to keep the car in top condition. The only problem I have got is a fair amount of moisture in the front headlights, does anyone know if these can be resealed by a company or do I just have to buy new ones? I have seen Envy do them cheaper than Toyota.

Ok as you can see I have all the questions but no answers lol, so any help would be appriciated thanks.

Burna.

if you are anywhere near this guy i'd take it there.

He'll give it a thorough once over for you. If you do a fair few miles per year, you should be able to get any local garage to do an interim oil change / air filter type service, and just go back to CW annually.

People travel from way down south to use CW, is well respected and knows his way around a sup like few others apparently.

Hi Burna & welcome to the club.

Scooter's recommendation of Chris Wilson will be a hard one to beat IMHO, Chris knows these cars inside out, in fact he used to race one. I'm sure Chris would be happy to talk through your requirements should you choose to give him a call, all round nice bloke and has a few exotic animals to boot!!

As for Toyota garages, it's a bit of a lottery really, there are some good ones out there, your best bet is to try and find a member who can recommend one to you. Be warned though, some of their prices are not for the faint-hearted.

The headlights suffer from condensation, there are threads on the board which explain how to refurbish them, try a search. As you have a UK model they should be the glass ones as opposed to the perspex ones fitted to the J-Spec models which can suffer from yellowing. Envy offer very good prices and service and I'm sure Kevin or Gaz would be happy to discuss your headlight needs.

Enjoy your car and the club.

,..... but I have learnt even with traction control it does bite back lol.

Welcome to the club Burna.

The stock traction control on the Supra is pants and can even be dangerous when trying to pull out of a junction quickly as it cuts the power completely for a few seconds. I would suggest turning it off all the time. A lot of members fit after market traction control made by Race Logic which is superb, do a search for 'RLTC' for more info.

I live in the West Midlands and was hoping someone could tell if there is garage that someone can recomend that know all about working on a Supra as I have been told just because it is a Toyota doesnt mean that the guys at the local Toyota dealership are going to know how to work on a Supra, how true this is I don't know, was hoping you guys could educate me a little :)

I would agree with Scooter, definitely worth the drive up the M6 to see Chris Wilson he is a Supra guru.

The car has done 80,000 what does anyone suggest I get checked or changed to keep the car in top condition. The only problem I have got is a fair amount of moisture in the front headlights, does anyone know if these can be resealed by a company or do I just have to buy new ones? I have seen Envy do them cheaper than Toyota.

Chris will be able to give it a good going over for you.

The headlights can be taken apart for cleaning and resealed, do a search and you will find all the info/instructions you need.

cheers

Welcome to the club Burna.

The stock traction control on the Supra is pants and can even be angerous when trying to pull out of a junction quickly as it cuts the power completely for a few seconds.

Thats what happened to me! Scared me half to death when it I pulled out in front of a double decker bus and they car seemed to go on strike lol. Glad to hear the problem is quite normal :blink:

Burna.

Thanks for the warm welcome and especially al the helpful advice! Definitely going to contacting Chris Wilson soon to discuss a service, certainly put my mind at rest where I could take my Supra to get checked over :)

Again would say CW is excellent and would recommend him highly. Not forgetting Lovatt on the board as well who has also been very usefull for bodywork etc. Where abouts in the Mids are you ?

I'm near Stourbridge, I looked at the messages about the midlands meet this weekend and never knew there were so many Supra owners so local! I also noticed that the guy you have recommended 'Lovatt' is going along to the midlands meet, I sure need to ask him a question about what he could do about removing some horrible looking plastic protector strips that someone had 'wisely?!!?' stuck all the way down both sides of the Supra! I guess they are meant to protect the panels from ppl opening doors against them in car parks, but my suspicious mind tells me that they may have been stuck on to hide a bad scratch or something.

Planning on coming along to the midlands meet this weekend if I can manage to get up that early after Saturday night lol. Have I got to put my name down or contact anyone or what?

If I do make it you will recognise my car by the number plate and mainly by those crappy looking black strips stuck down the side of my black Supra, just plz don't take the piss out of them too much lol, I'm well aware how they look :(

Burna.