The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Final year project

azam

Hi Guys

I am in my final year at university studying Mechanical Engineering. I currently own a Facelift TT BPU. Just looking for ideas really on something I can do my final year project on. I would preferably like to do something that involves the supra. I am at Coventry university so we currently have loads of facilities at the campus including a full engine test facility. ATM I am a bit blank with project ideas so if anyone has ideas it will help me out loads. So if its a part to be manufactured, looking at efficiency of some sort, research or even looking at vehicle NVH It will help me out. I am good at using most software packages including CATIA.

Sorry if i am posting in the wrong section just looking for advice.

Compare rolling road power figures from your car, or a game forum member's, with that of the same engine on a proper engine dyno. Expect to break some hearts ;) Measure power losses in the Getrag six speed when the torque is double that it was designed for? Do a full suspension analysis and see what happens when they are excessively lowered? Measure wheel stud loadings when spacers are fitted?

Good luck, loads of things you could do!

How proper ducting affects the performance of such things as the radiator, OEM SMIC or additions like oil coolers etc.

How long do you have after a big ass bug hits the windscreen to clean it off, effectively, with the screen washers & wipers before the bug's innards are simply dragged across your window when you finally do attempt the removal? :)

Why does the passenger's side of the windscreen of every bloody car I've ever owned ALWAYS demist before the driver's side, even when there is a passenger in the damn car?:D

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Thanks guys for the replies a lot of good ideas. Just need to pick a project I can get enough data to evaluate. Keen on the dyno tests as I have been working at Delphi as a engine test engineer for a while now and skills match up to undertake the project.

Looking at the loading of using wheels spacers is also a good one although I think they may be too much work involved as aftermarket wheel will be used and carry different offsets and widths.

Lifting the front of the car for speed bumps would be very practical. I recently drove a Gallardo with this capability but obviously it would need to be something cost effective. So I would need to look into it a bit more.

Ducting of the radiator and OEM seems like a good topic and there is loads to test and investigate. I could possibly use thermocouples and pressure transducers to test various temperatures and pressures.