The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers - decisions

Guest Ali95

Hi guys, i'm a newbie and finanly found time to join this club.

I'm in a dilemma and hope i can get your advice.

I have a Supra N/A 1995 that has gone through the MOT and

failed on few things. I need to replace my front two coil springs

(my car has lowering springs at the moment) and thought i might

aswell get coilover put in instead all around. I am on a budget and was

thinking of getting this the TEIN STREET BASIS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-JZA80-TEIN-STREET-BASIS-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-/311423155006?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3ASupra&hash=item4882443b3e

then i saw the TEIN STREET ADVANCE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEIN-Street-Advance-Coilover-Kit-Toyota-Supra-JZA80-1993-1998-/301195820471?hash=item4620ab7db7

Is there really a big difference between them? i know preferably Advance

will be better but with the MOT repairs i am trying to keep my costs low.

Or are there other brands i should consider instead around that price,

Thank you in advance, Ali

90% of people do not need coilovers on UK roads unless you're tracking the car. I'd seriously speak with Chris Wilson on here about a set of revalved OEM Bilsteins, which will give you a great ride and handle the UK roads. They're very, very good.

Personally, I'd not touch BC or Tein. They leak, they're too stiff and the ride is crashy.

You can't revalve the OE Bilsteins, they are quite different inside to genuine ones. They used a more basic valving. You can revalve and fiddle with proper German built ones though. £120 plus VAT each, custom valving £70 plus VAT each if ordered when you order the dampers. Internally Konis and Bilsteins are FAR FAR better and more sophisticated than BC, Tein, HKS, Apexi and many other aftermarket stuff.

You can't revalve the OE Bilsteins, they are quite different inside to genuine ones. They used a more basic valving. You can revalve and fiddle with proper German built ones though. £120 plus VAT each, custom valving £70 plus VAT each if ordered when you order the dampers. Internally Konis and Bilsteins are FAR FAR better and more sophisticated than BC, Tein, HKS, Apexi and many other aftermarket stuff.

You know, I never knew that. I always thought it was revalved OEM.

Makes the kit even better value.

Yes, the OE ones are logo'ed with TOYOTA and made by them under licence. They are still a good unit, but built down to a price with much more basic valving in the foot valves. The proper German made Bilstein Sports are superb value, and as sophisticated as anything remotely near the price. reliability is superb, God knows how many aftermarket dampers I see that knock, leak are are plain knackered. When you take `em apart you see why, they can be VERY crude.

Thank you for your quick replies, so Teins is not the ideal option to go for. I am looking to get better handling and perhaps a better ride quality (not as important) but being lowered at the same time with the budget i have. I don't go to a track and i don't often drive hard but if i do i would want that handling factor to be there. Sorry about this but i don't have a great knowledge about these things, just what i read. Do you think i should stick with lowering springs?

They are good entry level race / exotic road damper. You can get spares, and they can be rebuilt in the UK. Don't waste the money on the Eibach race springs option, the cheap ones are fine.

Good to know - appreciated :)

My car came over with Tein Super Street but I don't really like them. Don't really want to buy twice, so I'm really planning on getting it right the first time. I noticed that the KW V3 are available as well. I had the V2 on my old Golf and they seemed pretty good and corrosion resistant, but if there are better options around for the Supra then I'd rather go down that road. :thumbs:

how much of a difference would i notice if i installed Teins basis compared to my current up which is just the lowering springs?

You would notice when your fillings fall out and your spine shatters. Tein stuff is cheap garbage. BCs are the best thing nearer budget, but you will probably have to increase your budget.

You would notice when your fillings fall out and your spine shatters. Tein stuff is cheap garbage. BCs are the best thing nearer budget, but you will probably have to increase your budget.

I'm thinking of sticking to lowering springs for the mean time...thanks for your input :)

I'm currently looking at Tein S Tech Lowering Springs with 36mm Front & 42mm Rear, currently i have 18" wheels and the rears being 42mm would there be a good chance the wheels touching the arch while driving? i'm not sure what the spring ratings were on the car as i got the way it was but the car was pretty low and the front bumper touching the speed bumps