The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TB Developments Street Project

TBDevelopments

Thought now i'm officially a trader i wanted to get a build project of my supra/street demo car. This was the first one I really wanted, unfortunately i missed out and it got sold to someone else, a nice chap called Geo but after he was forced to sell I had the option to buy again so I snapped his hand off.

Plans for this car is an OEM plus feel, something modified with some nice fabrication but keeping it clean and simple with the feel of a modified factory option. The power levels will be around 550-600bhp with a response and streetable drivability over full race/drag setup

These were the pictures when originally imported by JM Imports.

Tim

TB Developments

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the joys of ownership starting early with this car, bought the lowest mileage one I could find not to have to many issues, anyway going up to see a friend of mine in hospital, cruising along at 40mph suddenly I get a huge cloud of smoke out the back and pissing out the bonnet, quick glance at temp gauge and its off the scale :( , so neutral and pull over instantly and shut it down. opened the bonnet to find this (pictured below). Not sure if the supra is common for the radiator getting brittle but when the silicone top hose was fitted before I purchased the car the jubilee clip had over stressed the plastic and the pipe had snapped off after the clip, and the top pipe just fell away completely emptying all the coolant on the floor and bay. Hopefully it hasn't caused any damage but I managed to re-secure it to the tiny bit of pipe remaining, got a friend to bring me some for-life red from the workshop and filled it back up. Bleed the system on the side of the road and babied it home, gauge was sat at 1/2 like normal all the way back so fingers crossed. No more steam or smoke just a horrible smell of burning coolant from where its been sprayed all over the hot stuff in the bay.

Anyway I've ordered a new one so while the car was sat in the workshop waiting for the bits to arrive I thought I'd get the steering wheel sorted and do all the other jobs I've been meaning to sort since I purchased the car last week. I've never got on with big steering wheels so going to fit the same Momo wheel I have fitted to all my other Toyota, a 320mm Momo Tuner. Just a nice subtle black on black leather number. Nice in the hand without being to boy racer.

Got this far and then found Airbag setups and momo boss's seem to be a pain so going to have to play around to get it fitting and working correctly. Toyota wanted to be awkward as well with the stock wheel and make the size so that my normal pullers didn't want to work, so had to make up something makeshift.

Tim

TB Developments

While I'm waiting for the alloy radiator to arrive I thought I'd sort the interior out, few bulbs gone, and although I like being shouted at in a foreign language every time i start the car I'm afraid she had to go for something I can actually use. Didn't think it would take me long to get this ripped apart. Got to say I'm enjoying it, everything feels new again as I've done pretty much every other Toyota now its nice to feel like a big kid again figuring out how everything comes apart.

All I can say is what a rats nest this lot was just for the aftermarket, radio/satnav etc etc

Been playing around with a couple of Steering wheel boss's I had kicking around after it became clear there was no way to use the Momo unit on the airbag slip-ring setup without it looking bodged. By cannibalising 2 of them and using the bottom from 1 for the cancellation pin locations and Top from another for the Momo bolt pattern I have created a boss that will work with the factory airbag slip ring. So refitted it back to standard, minus the airbag. Just got to alloy weld the boss's together tomorrow, machine a small lip in the top to accept the slightly bigger momo horn ring and should be good to go. I'll post pictures once I get this done. I also tweaked the length of the boss as well as I found the one I had was to long and felt the wheel was to close, so shortened it down slightly before welding. At present the new Momo wheel will sit 15mm further away than the stock unit, which is perfect for me as I felt the standard big wheel was a little "ontop of you"

Tim

TB Developments

Managed to get the steering wheel boss made up, i machined up a ring for location and once welded extra strength. looked really nice when it was done shame its all covered in alloy weld now. Oh well its plenty strong enough now. Trimmed down the outer plastic covers and it all fits perfectly fine.

One bonus is the alloy radiator turned up today, we shall see if the fit is a good as they quoted, mmmm

Tim

TB Developments

I had the alloy radiator fitted and it was just a total joke in the end, it fouled on the airbox which need to be modified, the fan shroud didn't fit so also had to be modified and then after all that I found because it was sitting to far towards the engine the fan now caught on the shroud making a horrible knocking noise only when at idle, made the car sound like the bearings were going in the engine. And also the front intercooler pipe couldn't be bolted up correctly against the chassis leg and was being pushed hard into the fan shroud again.

So thought I'd just do it properly. I removed the unit, bought a brand new OEM unit from Toyota and fitted that, I also purchased a brand new fan shroud to correct the damage that was done to fit the alloy radiator and instead of replacing the cut up airbox I decided to make my own intake pipe instead.

mocked up

finished

I also found my BOV had a crack in it and was cleaning boost so i blocked off the ports and made up this pipe for a HKS SSQV i had sitting around

While I had the car in the workshop I thought it was time I did all the little jobs I wanted to get sorted.

Change the Serpentine Belt

Change the Coilpack wiring connections, as they had become cooked and extremely brittle, there wasn't 1 that didn't disintegrate while unplugging them

The hoses for the heatermatrix at the back of the engine bay were also weeping, I changed the connectors to jubilee clips which I thought solved the problem but when I got home still had the same tell tail wet patch on the floor, seems to be a small split or pin hole under one of the clips so I've ordered both entire hoses from Toyota that will arrive soon and I can get the supra back on the road again.

The Headlight were another let down for me, they had been modified by someone in Japan, they had painted the normal facelift type headlight from its normal metallic grey to simple black. also painted over the chrome rings that surround each light. And because I drive back late at night from seeing my girlfriend i have the highbeams on alot it appears to have started to melt the paint and flake off. Also because they had been opened condensation was getting inside coupled with the very faded plastic outer lens. Time for replacements I think, but at £280 each there not cheap :(

Side by Side, new makes a huge difference

And fitted

I also came accross one of these, nice and rare :) I wanted one since i had the supra and use them on all my cars, i don't like using FCD's so this is the proper way to tune the car, plus its ready for any other future modifications i want to do because eventually i want to build my own small single turbo kit for 550bhp range. Probably a GTX3582r

little bit of an update.

Got a nice deal on importing a TRD Front Strut Brace and some new wheels

TRD Brace

And the wheels Rota Grids in steel grey. Not 100% sure on the color yet but it was the only option in these sizes. Not sure to leave it or go with a brighter silver or white. Decisions (Also appologises for the garden i'd done half then took the pictures on a break haha) I'll get some more pictures once i get a few hours to give the soup a really good clean, polish and wax as its a bit dirty at the moment

Wheels

Nice, looking forward to the progress. It sounds like your aims and ethos for the car are very similar to mine. Did you see the thread I started on the cast exhaust manifolds? :) if you were looking to sell a turbo kit, the SPA/FSR manifold looks to be a good Base :)

The radiator issue is common, glad no further damage was done. :)

Finally started messing around the with the idea of building my own single turbocharger setup for this car. I really don't like the mechanical lag of the sequential setup so a nice small single is my goal from 475 to 575bhp. anything in there i'll be happy with a nice response.

I needed to make myself a jig so i can build all the stainless work on. I have to give a big thanks to Dude and Mellonman for helping me with finding the parts to make this possible.

Started off with mocking up the stock TT system on my build engine

This allowed me to make 2 jigs to decide how far i wanted the Turbo downpipe to be. Either at the end of the TT system or to include the Precat as well.

The manifold is the one i'll be using but its currently in its un-modified state, i plan on porting and polishing it before use, also ceramic coating, the turbocharger is a GT3582r with 0.82 T4 exhaust housing. Luckily i had one knocking about from a previous project. The turbo is total scrap but it'll do its job for mocking up.

After looking at the jigs i think it'll be easier to make the turbo downpipe to include the Precat as well, just gives me so much more room to work with, also make the wastegate re-route pipe work not so cramped and allows me to have it rejoin the exhaust further downstream from the turbo which is always a bonus anyway.

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got round to uploading some pictures, where it was freshly washed just before the 20th anniversary meet.

Tim

Next was some suspension modifications to combat the boat like softness, Decided to go for some Titan ARB, i'm very impressed with the kit, stiffened up the bodyroll nicely without effecting drivability and comfort to much

I also had a HKS Ignition amplifier kicking around the workshop, so coupled with a small missfire when cold i decided to fit this and overhaul the ignition system which has solved the problem

Tim

TB Developments

Had a typical failure on the TT collector to the decat pipe, this is caused because every decat pipe i've ever seen doesn't come with a flexi section like OEM, this means that the entire exhaust system is solidly mounted to the engine without any movement or expansion taking into account. This caused it to pull 2 studs from the collector, blowing the gasket.

So i cut up the precat, added a 3" flexi section and recreated the gearbox brace, also had to drill out the collector to repair the threads and added an m12x1.25 to M10x1.25 repair stud. Been perfect since

I also started making something to hide the racelogic traction control unit, with a bit of custom work it fits nicely into the ashtray

few pics from some future projects,

one is the mold for an apillar pod that holds the screen for the apexi power fc commander.

imageimage

The other is my own take on the OEM bodykit, I have the active front lip which i want to keep operational but i feel the OEM front lip even when painted doesn't carry the lines of the factory sideskirts, so i've been messing around with these little spats, Once i get the look correct i'll be moulding the entire lip from fibreglass so its not a stuck on look.

Also Fitted Some TRD Dash Dials

This week i fitted my custom interior parts, I've replaced the factory seats with some Leather Recaro speeds, i feel this is a mix between the OEM look and the optional extra recaros.

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11898913_1612944242302212_2584345954681784682_n.jpg?oh=66d9223fe8d97e39bdb94bfaacb92a05&oe=56786BDF

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11899997_1612944272302209_1355200604980468357_n.jpg?oh=aaaad74060404052d80acf6edec5e71a&oe=5670FCF9

Also i've blended an apexi avcr boost controller into the centre dash, being a facelift it was awkward to get a perfect paint match so i tried something different and went with flocking, but in a colour called caviar. Its really a matt grey/black and i feel its come off very OEM. This was carried out by our good friends at "for flock sake" who did a great job on these panels and at a good price. Also fitted a few brushed aluminum dash rings

imageimage