The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Options??? I'm stuck :/

raddys

Hello everyone

Basically 2 months ago I purchased my 1st supra n/a manual... now I love the car but already I'm abit bored of its limited power and I'm trying to decide which would be my best cost effective option next.

1: I pay to get mine turbo'd (have been quoted 5.5k drive in drive out with uprated clutch, ecu and 370 ish bhp)

2: I sell my n/a for 4-5k, buy a TT auto for 6 ish k and get it converted to manual r154 (not sure on prices to do this?)

3: I keep the n/a and get a tt transplant with r154 box (v160 is 2 expensive)

Now I'm abit stuck on the best most cost effective option, so if anyone who has had the same dilemma could advise me that would be perfect :)

Thanks very much guys n gals

4. Buy a manual TT.

That would be your best option dude :)

1. Has you up at TT manual value but with less re-sale value on the car and hidden costs no doubt.

2. and 3. R154's are nigh on impossible to source these days. TT transplant will cost you around 3k these days so not much left to spare for the 5.5k you've got quoted for NA-T.

EDIT: Wrote this post during the time you put your second one up so probably 2. if you can find a R154

Well tbh if you're going to sell your NA for 4-5k or pay 5.5k to get a turbo conversion you may as well sell the car and use the money from that and the money you were going to spend on the conversion getting a TT6. It really is the best option.

4. Buy a manual TT.

That would be your best option dude :)

1. Has you up at TT manual value but with less re-sale value on the car and hidden costs no doubt.

2. and 3. R154's are nigh on impossible to source these days. TT transplant will cost you around 3k these days so not much left to spare for the 5.5k you've got quoted for NA-T.

EDIT: Wrote this post during the time you put your second one up so probably 2. if you can find a R154

Beaten to it ;)

So my options..

1: na-t @ 10k

2: just get a TT6 for 12k+

3: buy a TT auto and get a r154 conversion for it (seen an auto to r154 kit for 1.8k)

3 seems cheapest (6k for the car plus 1.8 and labour)

Anyone do or have any idea who could do a r154 conversion + what would be needed for it on top of this list??

What's included:

• Gearbox - Early shifter type (see our shop for custom remote shifters)

• JZ Bellhousing - Genuine Toyota (Not Thai copy)

• Gear Stick / Shifter (includes Marlin Crawler Shifter Bush and Socket)

• ACT Extreme Clutch (may need new Friction Plate soon)

• Evolution Lightweight Flywheel with Brand New Core

• Slave Cylinder

• Release Hub

• Clutch Folk and Pivot

• Front Piece of Prop Shaft

Thanks

I went from 2JZ-GE & W58 to 1JZ-GTE & R154 for about £2K.

Engine was bought from a member of this site, the gearbox I found on ebay and made a cheeky offer, which the seller accepted.

That was doing all the work myself, but it gives you an idea of what the actual material would set you back.

There is a proper R154 gearbox and some of the ancillaries for sale here in Ireland at the minute for about £1K, it's the type that fits directly to the MKIV chassis without the need for modifications.

So my options..

1: na-t @ 10k

2: just get a TT6 for 12k+

3: buy a TT auto and get a r154 conversion for it (seen an auto to r154 kit for 1.8k)

3 seems cheapest (6k for the car plus 1.8 and labour)

Anyone do or have any idea who could do a r154 conversion + what would be needed for it on top of this list??

What's included:

• Gearbox - Early shifter type (see our shop for custom remote shifters)

• JZ Bellhousing - Genuine Toyota (Not Thai copy)

• Gear Stick / Shifter (includes Marlin Crawler Shifter Bush and Socket)

• ACT Extreme Clutch (may need new Friction Plate soon)

• Evolution Lightweight Flywheel with Brand New Core

• Slave Cylinder

• Release Hub

• Clutch Folk and Pivot

• Front Piece of Prop Shaft

Thanks

Extreme Performance (Keron), Whifbitz, SRD, JM Imports. All traders on here. :)

Sell up and get a TT. Your 12k investment will be worth the same/similar money when it comes to selling it. If you look after it and do the right mods it may even be worth more.

No N/A-T or N/A-TT is ever going to be worth anywhere near what you put into it.

Whifbitz quoted 5.7k if I remember correctly.. and yes I totally agree that the amount you put in a na you will never get back, would absolutely love a TT6 but 12k atm isn't an option for me..

An auto tt would be fast and fun but previously to the na supra I had a glanza turbo auto And although I tuned it up and it was silly quick, I never really enjoyed the auto aspect of it, after that I purchased a glanza turbo manual and although it wasn't as fast I had much more fun In it

Can I ask a noob question.. what is BPU?

also I've heard about people putting flappy paddles in their auto supras ?? Is it any good and what sort of price range I it?? Thanks guys

Click on BPU

Basically you decat the exhaust, fit a fuel cut device, different grade spark plugs, boost controller and turn the boost up to 1.2/1.3 bar

If its a j spec tt it'll need a restrictor ring in the exhaust to hold the boost to around 1 bar, then you use the bc

to turn that up to around 1.2/1.3 bar which gets you to around 400 hp

You need to check the intercooler is up to the job as well incase its an old original one which could well be quite tired now

and be in need of replacement

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

also I've heard about people putting flappy paddles in their auto supras ?? Is it any good and what sort of price range I it?? Thanks guys

You can fit a Suprastick to an Na auto to give you paddleshifters, but it doesn't work with the TT auto gearbox.

The other alternative is to buy a tiptronic TT.