The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone on here used an FSR Streetfighter cast manifold?

j_jza80

Just weighing up the pros and cons of various single turbo setups, and I came across this FSR Streetfighter cast manifold.

It is based on the SPA cast manifold, but is ported and has a larger V-bad wastegate fitting. It is a much nicer design than most cast manifolds, and you can see that some thought has been given to how it flows. It obviously won't be as good as a true tubular manifold in this regard, but this does have the advantage of price, faster spool and strength. I'm aiming for a high quality, very responsive 550hp using a Garrett GTX3576R Turbo.

Cheers :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Looks like they have tried to address the lack of gasket area, and only a two bolt fixing for the original wastegate. I thin Wes here had issues with the gaskets blowing out on the original wastegate and had a flange welded on.

It also seems to have been ported inside the turbo exit, and there looks precious little support for the gasket there. If it's junk material it will warp and blow that gasket out. Remember we are talking turbo manifold pressures as high or higher than boost pressures, at hotter than glowing red temperatures, a real trial for successful sealing.

But here lies the rub, the manifold is grey cast iron, I think. Welding to it is tricky. Very tricky. Muffle oven job, special filler material. It will be interesting to see how the weld interface holds up. I am not even sure of the metallurgy of welding what seems stainless to grey cast iron.

The OE makers use high nickel content cast iron, Toyota used it for the original, totally trouble free cast manifolds for the twin turbos. They successfully production welded stainless expansion bellows to the high nickel content iron of the 2 manifold sections. Then used oversized holes to allow some movement on the special multi layer stainless steel gaskets. Lots of R&D, with a perfect end result :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Lots of guys running this in the USA. Most power I've seen so far on this manifold is 1018whp with a Precision 6870 on a dynojet.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?913673-1018whp-on-a-cast-manifold&

I have the SPA manifold and did my own port matching. It is fairly good quality and no problems or complaints so far. I'm only at 490rwkw as running a smaller turbo than previously, but have a Precision 6870 that will go on it after I upgrade the wrist pins.

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

Interesting that they talk about running it on stock ECU at 450hp. I thought that when going single you had to either piggy back or go stand-alone.

With a piggyback you're still on stock ecu. A lot of standalones are set up as a piggyback as well.

Lots of guys running this in the USA. Most power I've seen so far on this manifold is 1018whp with a Precision 6870 on a dynojet.

I have the SPA manifold and did my own port matching. It is fairly good quality and no problems or complaints so far. I'm only at 490rwkw as running a smaller turbo than previously, but have a Precision 6870 that will go on it after I upgrade the wrist pins.

This^^^, I've heard nothing but good thing from them. It's a very proven cast manifold with multiple supras using them at over 900 whp.

Looks like they have tried to address the lack of gasket area, and only a two bolt fixing for the original wastegate. I thin Wes here had issues with the gaskets blowing out on the original wastegate and had a flange welded on.

:thumbs:

My original single install was based on a kit from Induction Motorsport which used the Turbonetics log manifold, this had a downward facing wastegate port that was too small and installations suffered with boost creep, Induction Motorsport got round this by adding material and then enlarging the port. This worked fine on the road but for track use I had issues with it spitting the gasket out, I solved this by having the wastegate adapter pipe and manifold faces cleaned and flattened and then welded together :D

Looks like these guys have gone the same route, plus the added bonus of having the port on top to help with supporting the weight of the wastegate.

Is the manifold pictured in this thread available as *JUST* the manifold? Is the casting from someone else, and they have added the flange, or is it their own casting? Thanks for reminding us of what your setup was Wes. If my concern about welding stainless to cast iron proves unfounded this manifold looks a very viable way to go single with minimal hassle, assuming their downpipe and wastegate exit can be merged (with a flexible bellow of course) and their downpipe does not have clearance issues on a RHD car!

OK, thanks Wes, will Google SPA. I will ask my tame welding expert if there's anything trick needed to weld stainless to cast, and if not I may do one or two myself. I fixed up my lovely old TIG the other month, after it blew its output choke, and she's purring again :)

Good idea :thumbs:

My original single install was based on a kit from Induction Motorsport which used the Turbonetics log manifold, this had a downward facing wastegate port that was too small and installations suffered with boost creep, Induction Motorsport got round this by adding material and then enlarging the port. This worked fine on the road but for track use I had issues with it spitting the gasket out, I solved this by having the wastegate adapter pipe and manifold faces cleaned and flattened and then welded together :D

Looks like these guys have gone the same route, plus the added bonus of having the port on top to help with supporting the weight of the wastegate.

The Turbonetics manifold is still available, now sold by Treadstone. :) It is highly regarded for a cast mani, bhough it is obviously a more basic design than the SPA/FSR one :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a SPA manifold with the flange added by themselves.

It is the SPA one, ported out and with a modified wastegate arrangement. It is also available with a wastegate port in the bottom. I prefer the top mount, though more for ease of maintenance than weight concerns. :)

OK, thanks Wes, will Google SPA. I will ask my tame welding expert if there's anything trick needed to weld stainless to cast, and if not I may do one or two myself. I fixed up my lovely old TIG the other month, after it blew its output choke, and she's purring again :)

Could see a Chris Wilson single turbo kit in the making :D

Let me know if you do, I may be interested in one :)