The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those of you with auto's that only ever owned manuals.

Guest TheRedViper

Guest TheRedViper

What is the transition like? Do you miss driving a manual? I'm starting my search for a Supra but finding it hard to consider getting a auto, even after all the good things everyone says about it. I don't want to get an auto then wish I'd just waited/paid more for the manual if that's the one i really want.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want a manual, wait and buy a manual.

Or... test drive an Auto and see what all the fuss is about.

Myself and few other Auto (and Manual) owners went out for a blast last weekend on some twisty scottish country roads and the autos performed great on the blasts! Only 2 gears to worry about when driving hard ;)

When i was looking to buy a Supra about 18 months, i was adamant i wanted a white manual 6speed, and when i started looking there was no chance id settle for an auto, but i just couldnt find one for months and months. I ended up getting a white tiptronic and i absolutely love it, its soso good for daily driving or regular driving and very comfortable and easy to use. And with the tiptronic its also fantastic when you want to give it some stick.

Guest TheRedViper
Turbo or non turbo? And what kind of driving will you be doing in it?

Turbo, will be my daily driver, however I don't really drive every day, I live on base where I work and travel roughly 100 miles Friday evening/Sunday evening.

There is a facelift Tipronic TT currently for sale on Jurgen's website that I'm quite interested in, £11k seems to be a good price for a 2000 plate.

That's a tough one. If you were doing loads of town driving, I would recommend an auto over a manual. And although the auto is superior on the motorway, the 6 speed is still perfectly good, the surplus of power meaning gearshifts unnecessary at cruising speeds.

It really comes down to how much you drive the car on decent roads for fun, or take it on track.

Just like Mike, I have a tiptronic which is a great compromise. But I have converted mine to paddleshifters, which makes it much more fun on twisty roads. :)

I only wanted a manual MSB but it soon became clear that I'd be waiting a very long time for that specific car.

An auto came up in my preferred colour and I bought it, and I love it! I think even if I had the choice of it being a manual or auto I would choose auto now.

Previous supe was a manual

Guest TheRedViper

Nobody seems to be disappointed with the auto which is promising but I think if it was simply auto vs manual I'd go for the manual.

Budget is probably around 15k but that includes my insurance, so 13/14k for the car, although this number increases the longer I wait.

I swore by manuals and used to spew the generic "I like to drive my car" bullshit but then I got an auto Supra and I wouldn't go back I tried a 6 speed Supra before buying this tiptronic varient but it was like driving a Defender plus the Auto is generally cheap to replace compared to its manual counterpart..

DONT ever buy an Audi with an S-Tronic box though they really are shit...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]204744[/ATTACH]:blink:

Haha!

Well... I confess to being that annoying guy who peaks through the window of any given Supra and sighs when he see's it's an auto. Yes, I had never been in a TT auto, let alone driven one.

Although I'll always prefer manual and have every intension of converting mine to 6sp, I'll vouch for the auto box. Its fantastic. You can still have control over all 4 gears and bpu kick down will be sorely missed. I wouldn't let auto put you off if you find the right car.

Nobody seems to be disappointed with the auto which is promising but I think if it was simply auto vs manual I'd go for the manual.

Budget is probably around 15k but that includes my insurance, so 13/14k for the car, although this number increases the longer I wait.

if you want a manual you should get one, auto's are great but the more threads you do the more there is that air of you not being satisfied with an auto. Try and get a drive of one that might rule it out completely (or confuse you!)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?306064-For-Sale

I think your budget is ok, everyone bigs up prices, shame you weren't looking a year ago

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

There's a black VVTi 6 speed in the classifieds at the moment that will be within your budget. It does need some work, but at least any money you put in to it will be adding value at that money. Otherwise you may end up waiting a while, and possibly have to increase your budget as the prices keep going up.

I've driven a few auto's and I've driven a few manuals. I would never have an Auto Supra personally, but that's down to what I use the car for (cue the puns) and how I drive it. If I had one as a daily drive then I would maybe feel different, I do know that I would pine for a manual at certain times though as I currently do with my 5 Series.

A friend of mine put my current auto ownership very well. I was grumbling about my car being an auto and how I almost went for the 530 just so that I could get a manual (he has the 525 manual). He said the only reason I wanted a manual was for the 5% of the time that I wanted to play around, 95% of the time when I was actually daily driving, etc, the auto makes the most sense.

Now, having been on a cracking run with the guys last week I can say that the auto did make a lot of sense, even in the twisties. It was so easy to just point and squirt and go for it, which was great...... but it depends if you see manually shifting gears as something to relish, or something that's a burden. For me, I relish it. I wouldn't take a manual box in my BMW now, but only due to the 95% of the time ratio. My Supra will be solely for the 5%, so it has to be manual for me :)

You can. The 6 speed's a horrible, clunky, heavy clutched, agricultural box. Besides, I've driven enough of each!

Have you driven a TT Auto?

Granted some are worse than others but heavy clutched is nothing to do with the gearbox that's people fitting cheap clutches . The manual it has been proven to take over 1000hp again and again so a little noise and clunk is not bad considering a auto will crap it's self at around 550-600 . I went auto bpu to manual and it was the best thing ever auto sucks up more power ,sounds naff from the outside as it's a slow changing box not like modern auto's and I just had better control of the car overall.

I own a BPU auto and Have driven a 6speed Single. I love my auto and like most have said here the box in manual mode is great in the twisties. When I had a manual car before I would get bored of changing gear from time to time. I echo what Scott said really that 95% of the time an auto is great and for 5% a manual would be better.

The thing that seals it for me is - Auto Second Gear, BPU at WOT :D Feels Savage