The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone tried BC coilovers on track??

Supra Kong

Has anyone tried the BC Racing coilovers on track?

For financial reasons i am looking at the BR series.. these seem to get great reviews for street driving.

But i want to get my car to perform better on track...Just wondering if any of you racers out there have any experience with these?

Also, would you guys recommend the front and rear swaybars? Or do you think front and rear strut braces are enough?

As always many thanks!!! ;)

Strut braces are supposed to help stop body shell deformation and twist. i have never seen a commercially produced on that does more than twist your wallet.

Anti roll bars (sway bars in the US), add stiffness in roll, but not in spring rate when both wheels on the same axle hit a bump at the same time. Whilst they can modify body roll they also add spring rate in single wheel bumps, and some say they effectively turn independent suspension into a compromised semi beam axle ;)

You need to look at the WHOLE picture. But two very general remarks, most people think lowering a car to take it on track will make it handle better. Slight lowering may help, a lot of lowering almost invariably makes the car handle worse. Pro designers start to design a car based on what wheel and tyre size the car must, or can run, based on regulations or whatever. they tyre is the only contact point between vehicle and the black stuff. Screw up on suitable tyre and wheel sizing, and tyre suitability and almost everything else is screwed.

If you dismantle most cheap dampers to look at what is within you see why they are cheap and why they knock and leak at low mileages. In my honest opinion, the best dampers, quality and sophistication wise, at a reasonable price are Koni and Bilsteins. 95% of people do not need adjustable ride height, so screw adjustable spring platformms are not a good criteria to choose a ceratin make of damper.

Strut braces are supposed to help stop body shell deformation and twist. i have never seen a commercially produced on that does more than twist your wallet.

Anti roll bars (sway bars in the US), add stiffness in roll, but not in spring rate when both wheels on the same axle hit a bump at the same time. Whilst they can modify body roll they also add spring rate in single wheel bumps, and some say they effectively turn independent suspension into a compromised semi beam axle ;)

You need to look at the WHOLE picture. But two very general remarks, most people think lowering a car to take it on track will make it handle better. Slight lowering may help, a lot of lowering almost invariably makes the car handle worse. Pro designers start to design a car based on what wheel and tyre size the car must, or can run, based on regulations or whatever. they tyre is the only contact point between vehicle and the black stuff. Screw up on suitable tyre and wheel sizing, and tyre suitability and almost everything else is screwed.

If you dismantle most cheap dampers to look at what is within you see why they are cheap and why they knock and leak at low mileages. In my honest opinion, the best dampers, quality and sophistication wise, at a reasonable price are Koni and Bilsteins. 95% of people do not need adjustable ride height, so screw adjustable spring platformms are not a good criteria to choose a ceratin make of damper.

So what youre saying is...

Dont get ARB's or rear strut brace, get decent rubber (which i will) and don't waste my money on the BC racing shocks?

I read the quality of these is meant to be pretty good compared to other Korean shocks?

Bilsteins etc... are currently a little out of reach....

What is the price on the BC, about £700? Chris sells his kits for a little over 1k, worth while saving up the extra if you can :)

I would, but i am just too stretched already... I might get these BC's and speak to mr Wilson in a year or two about his.

Am surprised not many people have tried these on track, as lots seem to have these...

Very few people on here track their cars :D I currently run oem Bilsteins and eibach springs. It runs a little too low on the front (but nowhere near as bad as many), but otherwise it's a great setup. A good compromise between comfort and firmness. If and when these go, they will be replaced with CW Bilsteins.

What dampers do you have on there at the moment? I wouldn't waste your money on strut braces unless you just want them to look good for show purpose because that's all there good for to be honest. The only anti roll bars I would consider is the TRD ones, if you can still get them!

Well to be honest the teins are just a more expensive BC to be honest. As Chris is saying the internals are not much cope and on some of the cheaper coilovers I have heard it being said that they aren't even filled with nitrogen gas, it's another form of cheaper gas.

For cheap-ish adjustable coilovers the best valving that I know of is in the HSD and Meister R dampeners (same dampener, different springs & paint). It has to be the mono ones IIRC though. They're OK for the money but they're never going to beat a proper track set.

For the strut brace I would go with the TRD one, it's ruddy solid and if any are going to do what it says on the tin.... it's that. For the ARBs the Titan ones are meant to be good, but to be honest the pre-facelift ones should be just fine as I don't think you'll be taking things THAT seriously :)

For the strut brace I would go with the TRD one, it's ruddy solid and if any are going to do what it says on the tin.... it's that. For the ARBs the Titan ones are meant to be good, but to be honest the pre-facelift ones should be just fine as I don't think you'll be taking things THAT seriously :)

The Carbing one is more substantial than the TRD, and comes with a built in BMC stopper. The rear one is lovely too.

The Carbing one is more substantial than the TRD, and comes with a built in BMC stopper. The rear one is lovely too.

I can't agree with that, the TRD one is short and solid double tube steel with a solid 1/2 box section across the middle. It can't be compared to any single bar strut brace IMO, or even a twin bar one.

To me there's just no comparison.

Rich.2211 and Rob_Sri have both run BC's on their cars. I always thought they drove spot on.

The dampener adjustment gives plenty of choice too and allows you to really tune the ride.

As for on track, both cars perform well through the bends, although I believe Rob's has updated front and rear ARB's too.

I myself run the HSD dual tech coilovers. They're great for the street, perform well enough on track for my level of driving skill and weren't horrendously expensive.

KW V3 Inox would be my choice all day long. Sublime on road manners. And have the range of adjustment you need. You just need to double the budget...

I was talking about these coilovers a few days back. This will be my next big spend on the car. I love these coilovers.