Guest Pinhead

Hi

1) How much does it cost for a cam-belt change on a turbo at a garage

2) Also what parts need to be changed

3) what part should you change at the same time

Pin

1) not sure and depends on 2)

2) needs - the belt!

3) Possibles/niceties, crank pulley if original, cambelt idler wheel, aux belt, coolant change, water pump (I personally wouldn't do it til it needed it but then I'd be diying so happy to go through the labour twice - it would cost you as much in labour if it went a year later, so may be worth considering)

As you are new I'm going to assume you are preparing to carry this out on any new car you buy? Not that I'm saying at all that you shouldn't do it but the supra engine is non interference and so no engine damage will result from a cambelt snapping. Basically you don't have to rush, you won't find any threads on belt failures.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Guest Pinhead

HI

thanks for replies it's nice to know that if the belt goes it does not take the engine with it

still looking at that white one on ebay and after doing a bit of research i have found out a bit more about it ,

i know i have asked this before and as you have looked at it what price would you pay for it

pin

the supra engine is non interference and so no engine damage will result from a cambelt snapping. Basically you don't have to rush, you won't find any threads on belt failures.

Forgive me if I sound like an asshole, but is any part of the above statement true? I thought belt driven non-interference engines were virtually non-existent? Especially on road cars.

Also, just because it's non-interference I thought if the belt failed it still damages other components?

HI

thanks for replies it's nice to know that if the belt goes it does not take the engine with it

still looking at that white one on ebay and after doing a bit of research i have found out a bit more about it ,

i know i have asked this before and as you have looked at it what price would you pay for it

pin

Depends what you've found :) I'll presume it's good!

I'd have happily paid the original eBay ad price, but no way I'd personally pay over £10k for this. Have you seen it in the flesh yet?

Forgive me if I sound like an asshole, but is any part of the above statement true? I thought belt driven non-interference engines were virtually non-existent? Especially on road cars.

Also, just because it's non-interference I thought if the belt failed it still damages other components?

They are virtually non existent on modern cars as they are less efficient and everything is about efficiency these days. I think the vvti supras are interference though.

There are no documented belt failures I can remember so no hard evidence of no damage but I've rotated a few cranks now with no cambelt in place and no lock up ie Pistons meeting valves. The belt could take out the tensioner or plastic covers etc.

You can easily tell apart a VVTI to none VVTi, the VVTI's have a lump on the front of the nearside/intake camshaft which you can see with the spark plug cover.

I dont know the specific engine code, but it's still a 2jz-gte.

None VVTI

VVTI.

If you're going to the trouble of taking the belt off, id replace the water pump, tensioners and the crank pulley if its not new.