The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How did you decide what Supra to buy?

Guest TheRedViper

Guest TheRedViper

I'm just gunna start by saying it's not gunna be an easy decision!

Basically what I want to know is why you chose the car you did, whether it's N/A/TT, UK/jap, manual/auto, and your reasons for doing so.

At first I thought I definitely wanted a UK spec TT6. Turns out they're the rarest and when they do come up, also the most expensive. Should this sway my decision, no, is it going to, probably. Truth is I have no idea whether I want an auto or a manual, or whether I want a UK car or an import. So how did you decide?

1st supra - NA Auto - Just to get into a supra and get a feel for them, also had never driven an auto before that and was one of the "autos are rubbish" people!

2nd supra - TT Auto - Was wanting abit more power and liked how the auto box felt, so thought i would try it and i loved it!

3rd supra - TT Auto (converted to 6 speed) - Thought i would change to manual to see how it felt, but also to future proof the car when it was down getting work done (link in my sig). Its a good box and feels great, but as you will see around the forum alot of people call it agricultural and also very expensive!

There not the rarest I would say Aerotop single turbo 6speed manual are the rarest, but I am bias to that :p :P

When i was looking I knew i wanted a Aerotop. so it was only going to be a import.

2nd I was giving up on finding a Aero and was going to buy a TT 6speed Japanese import from Jurgen at Jm-imports as this would be the cleanest and rust free decision and then later on find a Aerotop shell and transfer it.

Personally id always recommend getting one imported as they will be alot less rust :) and the only way prices seem to be going is skyward

I've bought a few, had to buy cheap most of the time and to be fair they've all served me well and cost me very little in depreciation, certainly compared to a couple of new white goods car cycles.

my first two were manuals because I had the anti auto gene lots of us have initially! Have two auto tt's right now just because they had for me the right combo of looks, history, condition and value for money. Colour transmission don't come into it so much for me, I just like to get a nice clean one that has the least chance of needing any serious work, even now money us not so tight I can't bring myself to pay what I think is over the odds (inner accountant in me!)

I've said it a lot recently but it's the toughest time to be a first time buyer that I can recall, low numbers and high prices means few chances of picking up the bargains like in the old days.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Guest TheRedViper

Hmm yeah I am a first time buyer, you say all this about finding a clean one that takes your fancy, I don't know what a clean one should be like, and I love every car I see for sale haha

I think my best bet is getting an import from Jurgen. He knows his stuff and can be trusted to get me a clean car, I'd want a facelift and I guess I wouldn't mind either transmission.

Also drift_bear, I've considered going N/A for my first too, I've never driven rwd so would definitely appreciate the smaller step, but with prices increasing so much, I don't want to give it a year and need to pay over 15k for a TT. Decisions decisions...

Bought the first TT auto I found in good/great condition, sod whether it was import, facelift, vvti or what have you. They're pretty similar to insure (if not the same) with the right insurance broker. Couldn't afford a manual so didn't worry about that :D

There's a guide on what to look for up on the front page of the site and in the tech guides bit. Bring a mate who's mechanically minded or jump in blind and have deep pockets. As with any older car, run a mile if it's orange/black and crusty underneath.

I knew I wanted a facelift with OEM spats and skirts, and as I prefer the 'lift', that meant it had to be an import. So I wanted a low miles, stock, TT6 fresh import (in hope no rust) in either gun metal or white, age didn't bother me, 96 or 02 I wasn't bothered, as long as it met my wants, so looked at JM Imports and GT Torque over months and months for stock they were getting in, everytime I liked one, someone with bigger balls than me would put a deposit on one while it was still on its way over! So I started looking for one myself using the JM auction page. Budget grew over the time, I missed out on 3 of 4 I bid on, until one morning Jurgen emailed to say I was now a supra owner!

White, 26k miles, 100% stock!

Happy days.

Edited by kitch79 (see edit history)

Guest TheRedViper
I knew I wanted a facelift with OEM spats and skirts, and as I prefer the 'lift', that meant it had to be an import. So I wanted a low miles, stock, TT6 fresh import (in hope no rust) in either gun metal or white, age didn't bother me, 96 or 02 I wasn't bothered, as long as it met my wants, so looked at JM Imports and GT Torque over months and months for stock they were getting in, everytime I liked one, someone with bigger balls than me would put a deposit on one while it was still on its way over! So I started looking for one myself using the JM auction page. Budget grew over the time, I missed out on 3 of 4 I bid on, until one morning Jurgen emailed to say I was now a supra owner!

White, 26k miles, 100% stock!

Happy days.

This is a dream story right here! My only question, on the jm imports auctions, it's all Japanese, how do you know wtf is going on?

Hmm yeah I am a first time buyer, you say all this about finding a clean one that takes your fancy, I don't know what a clean one should be like, and I love every car I see for sale haha

I think my best bet is getting an import from Jurgen. He knows his stuff and can be trusted to get me a clean car, I'd want a facelift and I guess I wouldn't mind either transmission.

Also drift_bear, I've considered going N/A for my first too, I've never driven rwd so would definitely appreciate the smaller step, but with prices increasing so much, I don't want to give it a year and need to pay over 15k for a TT. Decisions decisions...

I'm not convinced the prices will keep going up, remain firm yes, but I may be wrong. The increases are a relatively recent thing, sub £10k tt6's weren't that long ago, sub £5k auto tt's too. They do all look good in general, they are tough and so hide miles, abuse and lack of servicing well, but often on these it gets towards the stage where lots of things can be one tired all at once and it can be a relative money pit compared to car that may be exactly the same price.

This is a dream story right here! My only question, on the jm imports auctions, it's all Japanese, how do you know wtf is going on?��

I think Jurgens deals with it all, you just state your budget in general and perhaps specifically for each car. search for goonet as I think Jurgen can also buy cars from the Japanese dealer network?

This is a dream story right here! My only question, on the jm imports auctions, it's all Japanese, how do you know wtf is going on?í^½í¸‚

Narh it's auction details page isn't.

http://jmimports.mine.nu/

Username is - jmimports

Password is - Japan

I looked at dinner time today, around 10 supra on there. Vin search JZA80.

If u find something you like, email Jurgen and he'll can give a guild on what he thinks he can win it and get it on the road price for.

If your happy. Deposit is required then so GO! (Only one deposit is required no Matter how many cars over time u bid on) I bid on a few GT4s and DC5 integras too ha.

I think Jurgens deals with it all, you just state your budget in general and perhaps specifically for each car. search for goonet as I think Jurgen can also buy cars from the Japanese dealer network?

And using what scooter says goonet your browser can translate the entire page. Some cheap cars on them. But don't forget import duties, taxes, JM profit slice, mot, registration.

Have always loved Supras. Looked into getting one when life and finance made sense. Decided it would have to be special, so aero - facelift. Whilst buying an FTO, many years before, the dealer had a DJG Supra in and I loved the colour on a Supra, so it also had to be that colour. Took 6 years to find but SO worth the wait. Good luck, go for what you want, that way you will be happy, IMO. Meant to say, I wanted a TT but after 6 years of waiting and knowing how rare TT aeros are, couldn't be THAT fussy as it was pretty obvious I was lucky to get what I wanted in such unspoilt condition.

Edited by Hammer (see edit history)

I never had a particular longing for a Supra as such, I just wanted something with the FR drivetrain format and reliable. Having had absolutely no previous FR experience I assumed a stripped Supra with 200bhp would be completely adequate for track use and my abilities.

Seven years later I'm still trying to figure a way of tripling the power and halving the weight for something akin to peanuts!

With most of my previous cars I would stretch my budget for the highest spec and severely compromise on condition as the little voice in my head would say "But, its alright mate, you can do her up! Buy it, buy it!". It would hardly ever play out well as these types of cars have all been sapped of their fun and now require someone to put a lot of love/money back into them. Maybe I'm getting old, but I was presented with a few of these opportunities when looking for my Supra and I wasn't even tempted. All I saw was headaches and a lot of these ££££ in bills. Finally, when I saw my car, "unmolested" was one of the first things that popped into my head. I wanted a 6sp, but couldn't pass on the strong foundations to build on and haven't looked back. :)

Its funny seeing your reasons guys,

I forget that probably my main reason for spending so much on an import, if you guys remember my white SZ-R 6 speed i sold a while back, it had so many problems, i had bought while abroad and over looked, no amount of money could save it

I was so sickened i grubed every penny and put a deposit on the new one, that held it for me for three months to get the rest of the money!

Also once i felt the 6 speed box, i was in love!

One of the most robust engines ever paired with one of the strongest gearboxs ever, i had to have this combo back! :)

What ever you want I would not skimp on your budget, wait till you make it!

Edited by Supra.SZ-R (see edit history)

Guest TheRedViper

All this just makes me want one more. I guess if the manual is the one I really want, I shouldn't get the auto just because it's cheaper.

My only reason for wanting a UK spec car is insurance, however I can stretch that, especially as it can be paid monthly. Still have to sell my car and there's always the option of a small bank loan if I see the car I want;)

You see the car you like within your budget, take a look at it, test drive it, fall in love with it, buy it, and never look back! :D

Simples.

Confirmed, got recommended to one on here, drove to London to see it, test drove it, couldn't not take it away with me, bank transfer, call to insurance idiots, drove home.

Supra on the drive, bling

There not the rarest I would say Aerotop single turbo 6speed manual are the rarest, but I am bias to that :p :P

When i was looking I knew i wanted a Aerotop. so it was only going to be a import.

2nd I was giving up on finding a Aero and was going to buy a TT 6speed Japanese import from Jurgen at Jm-imports as this would be the cleanest and rust free decision and then later on find a Aerotop shell and transfer it.

Personally id always recommend getting one imported as they will be alot less rust :) and the only way prices seem to be going is skyward

Not exactly a model you could buy really :)

Was going to be working down near London, looked on Piston heads and saw a Supra nearby while procrastinating at looking at cars at work.

Saw it the next day on my lunch, First ever Supra I had seen in real life. Took a gamble put a deposit on a 93 NA Auto with 70,000 miles (was 21 so money and insurance etc) and haven't looked back.

Now later on I'm doing the work to it to get it to how I want it and really feel connected to the car.

Planning on converting it eventually as I've really fallen in love with this car.