The mkiv Supra Owners Club

8D Carbon Wrap

SupraP-Z

Hey all,

I posted up a thread about sanding down peeling laquer, got some good responses so thought it give it a go over the weekend just gone.

I had milkiness, and damaged laquer/epoxy in the carbon part of my TRD spoiler. It was very patchy and came off like a puff pastry. I got myself some 500 grit sandpaper and went to town on the carbon blade and got it all smooth (i forgot to take before pictures :rolleyes:)

Then i attempted to wrap the spoiler in this 8D carbon wrap i bought from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8D-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Wrap-Air-Bubble-Free-Black-Gloss-Multi-sizes-/191486247806?var=&hash=item2c9578437e

The reason i bought this was because of the gloss, and it was relatively inexpensive. Also saw it recommended on the bimmerforums from a chap who had wrapped his side trims in it, and it looked just like the real thing!

Ill let the pictures do the talking. Its far from a perfect job, but for now it will do :)

The stuff is quite easy to work with, but i did waste a bit, quite a big chunk infact. I was too impatient and took all of the backing off the sticky side, which meant dirt dust, crumples and it sticking to itself was inevitable even though id thoroughly cleaned the area i was working in, it stuck to everything lol. Anyways, its very realistic, i actually had difficulty in differentiating the actual carbon from the wrap (the underneath of the spoiler was in perfect condition, no UV damage)

That looks great!

I have been looking at this stuff too. how easy is it to work with on curves and rounded shapes? want to re-do my boot lip.

Its not as bad as i thought it would be, it does depend on your experience. You do have to be careful when working with it, the carbon pattern can get distorted if you stretch too much. I estimated it would take me an hour to wrap the spoiler and the side parts...took me almost 4 hours in total that includes sanding prepping etc. Ive worked with tint before, and its pretty similar to that, although this doesnt like intense heat. Setting number 2 on my heat gun melted through it lol

That does look very decent, nice job!

Thanks bud :)

Same stuff I tried to do mine with, and looks like you had much better results!

I lost my temper, and ended up screwing all the film up, and putting it in the bin :rlol:

Haha, you should have seen my first attempt! i wasted pretty much half of what i bought. It is a PITA to do, but once you get started and a rhythm going, its actually not so bad. Sit down this bank holiday weekend and try again dude, im an impatient tw@t and if i can do it....anyone can lol

I made a similar mistake to you. I peeled all the backing off, and ended up with all kinds of fluff and bits in it!

I also really struggled to get the air bubbles out - despite it being supposedly breathable vinyl.

I was tempted to try again, but misting the blade with water - much like window tint film.

Unfortunately I haven't got enough to try again