The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto gearbox kickdown mid corner?

Guest TheRedViper

Guest TheRedViper

I'm torn whether I want to get a manual or an auto supra. Obviously both have their advantages, and if they were the same price and same availability I'd get the manual no doubt, but they aren't, so the auto is being considered.

My only 'worry' with the auto is driving in the wet and turning a corner, and the car dropping a gear, spinning the rear tyres and sending me arse first into a hedge. Is that a real worry or is this unlikely to ever happen?

The kickdown only works when your foot is fully planted on the throttle, if you do that mid corner, then you will definitely have problems!

The auto is sublime to drive, but the only way you'll know for yourself, is to find local members and ask if you could try theirs first

It will only happen with a very heavy right foot, if you wanted to you could shift with the stick down into 2nd to simulate this at differing road conditions and speeds, obviously start at low ones. But really as long as you have good quality tyres and a non lead foot you'll be fine, the box doesn't shift down without a large accelerator input, unless you are crawling up to a junction etc then it imperceptibly (due to the low rev change) shifts down to 2 or first.

If you are driving, err, "enthusiastically" in an auto TT, especially in the wet, I suggest you put it in "manu" mode and let yourself decide just when it changes gear. I did loads of track days when I had my auto TT and always had it in manu mode on track. I tend to drive like a granny on the roads, so it's not an issue :)

Guest TheRedViper

Perfect responses guys thank you! Although part of me wishes you had told me the auto sucks to make up my mind for me, now I'm back to auto vs manual!

The car will be my 'daily' driver, I live where I work Monday-Friday so it'll see little driving through the week, but a 120 mile commute Friday night and Sunday night. Friday night rush hour sucks on the M62 so I might be leaning towards the auto.

I've got an auto, I've never had an automatic before my Supra and honestly I use to turn my nose up at an automatic.

But the autobox in a Supra is amazing, the response of it kicking down when you want it to and the gear changes are perfect 22 years on! Sometime's I miss the manual but a relaxing sunday drive in the sun when we actually have it's great.

Personally I haven't lost control of the Supra in the Wet. Mine doesn't have ABS or traction control, It's also about how you drive it. If you're driving like an idiot round a corner in the wet then you don't really appreciate your car.

If you don't want your car kicking down round corners, put it in MANU mode, Click the link there and it will explain it to you, You have control of when the autobox shifts.

Ive just done 670 miles in manu mode in some of the best twisty roads Scotland has got, and i can honestly say the auto box is amazing. In 2nd in manu going round bends you really feel the grip and gives you a lot of confidence knowing where the grip/power is. We had a manual TT struggling to shift at the same rate as us autos and as said previously, less chance of a miss shift.

Manuals are awesome btw but the auto box is a lot of fun too.

If you are driving, err, "enthusiastically" in an auto TT, especially in the wet, I suggest you put it in "manu" mode and let yourself decide just when it changes gear. I did loads of track days when I had my auto TT and always had it in manu mode on track. I tend to drive like a granny on the roads, so it's not an issue :)

I done brands hatch in my auto , the only time it kicked down and got me sidways was when i tried to put the power down to early out of a corner , but even then i knew it would kick down just didnt expect to loose traction , the auto box in the supra is controlled very well even by todays standards .