The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Garage in Kent needed.

dannyspeed

• 3 weeks later...
Why? If the car is tested correctly it does not need to have a CAT test, as it's before 2000's if it's Aerotop it should be?

It should pass unless there is something really wrong, you don't need the cats in.

Are you sure? It seems to be a grey area. Some say the regs changed at K reg 92-93. But I have heard before that it's different for Jap imports but never confirmed.

Just Been speaking to a few very local MOT stations and they are saying built from 1992 onwards the car will need a cat test.

Only if the car exact match of emissions data can be found on the database, which the supra cannot.

There is a flowchart flying around the forum somewhere which shows the rules in black and white, the supra does not need a cat test.

Right after finding out some info i found here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?314369-New-MOT-rules and going with what Benjy Said in that Thread . I took a printout to my local MOT test station. After a bit of a discussion which he was adamant at the start that all cars after 1992 need a cat test. He came round to the fact that it could possibly go through as long as his system gives him the option where he can't find an "Exact match" due to it being an import. He said he won't know for sure until the car is with him and all the details are put in his system. Its booked in on Thursday 4pm so we will see.

Right just back from the MOT garage and it failed on emissions!!! After all the explaining and proof I showed him that the Jap spec is different from the uk spec. He's reply was that he found an engine code match on the system and that's what he has to put it through as!! He said the system gets updated and what was the case might not be the case anymore. So pissed as I feel he never listened to what I was explaining to him... I think it boils down to this.... If your de-cat'd take it to an MOT station that has good knowledge of Supras or are just dead friendly [emoji12].

He can find whatever engine code he likes - The Toyota Supra came with a 2JZ-GTE and that is it as far as DVSA are concerned. Go back and ask him for an appeal form.

The computer will ask if it was registered on or after 01/09/1992.

Then it will ask if it's a passenger car - Obviously yes.

Then it will perform a BET (Basic Emissions Test).

CO limit - 0.30%

HC limit - 200ppm

Lambda - 0.97 - 1.03

It'll fail, then ask for the vehicle make, model and engine code. There is no 2JZ-GE listed under Toyota Supra. You then have to select "Vehicle Information not found".

It'll then ask if it was first used on or after 31/08/1995 - no, it wasn't, so it carries out a pre cat test.

CO limit - 3.0%

HC limit - 1200ppm.

He can find whatever engine code he likes - The Toyota Supra came with a 2JZ-GTE and that is it as far as DVSA are concerned. Go back and ask him for an appeal form.

The computer will ask if it was registered on or after 01/09/1992.

Then it will ask if it's a passenger car - Obviously yes.

Then it will perform a BET (Basic Emissions Test).

CO limit - 0.30%

HC limit - 200ppm

Lambda - 0.97 - 1.03

It'll fail, then ask for the vehicle make, model and engine code. There is no 2JZ-GE listed under Toyota Supra. You then have to select "Vehicle Information not found".

It'll then ask if it was first used on or after 31/08/1995 - no, it wasn't, so it carries out a pre cat test.

CO limit - 3.0%

HC limit - 1200ppm.

The car was registered 01/06/1997 in the uk which he pointed out to me in the log book. Does it go by that or by year made?

Seriously, go and ask him for an appeals form. DVSA will then test your car. If it passes, he'll get points on his MOT licence. In the same token, if he's missed anything, he'll also get points. He's clearly put it through as a TT!

Also, there's no reason for him to bypass the engine speed and oil temperature measurements!