The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Alarm fitting

j_jza80

Has anyone on here fitted an alarm to their Supra themselves?

I'm looking at buying something like a Clifford or Viper Alarm with remote start, and having fitted literally hundreds of car stereos, Parrott kits and other car electronics, plus all of the work I've done on my own cars over the years, I'm pretty confident I can do it. I'm more worries about setting up the sensors etc.

I'm wary about handing my car over to a stranger to do this, and having seen all sorts of awful scotchlock bodges, tied wires with tape, and terminal blocks over the years, I think I would rather do it myself, even though I will probably miss out on any insurance benefit.

Can anyone with some experience give me a few pointers? :) Thanks.

If you install it you won't see a drop in the cost of your insurance and with the cost between being "supplied" or "supplied & fitted" being so negligible I really wouldn't bother.

http://www.dragoncaraudio.co.uk are Thatcham recognised (stick with an installer who is and you shouldn't have any problems). A fair way from your location, but the owner is a member here so knows how to install correctly in a Supra. Give them a bell and see if they can recommend someone in your neck of the woods :)

I have bought a toad ai606 and it comes with Certificate and things for insurance purposes! Most insurance companies don't ask for certificates anymore just what type of alarm is fitted! Ie cat1 etc my car hasn't turned up yet but my other supra has the same alarm installed all the wires are colour coded and on the new alarm the cables are marked so it's cut and solder! I was thinking of getting the text your mobile if the alarm goes off which is quite cool!

I've never used the Cat1 status on my alarm anyway. You need to get it serviced/checked and re-certified every so often and I just can't be bothered with that hassle. Especially considering that the control box is deep inside the cavity of the dash. The covers having to come off and on all the time would just be a pain.

Additionally, remote start usually does away with the Cat1 status anyway so it's not a lot to worry about. Like yourself Jason I was more interested in having the protection on the car than actually saving money on insurance. Doing the job yourself will be so much better than letting anyone else do it. You can place the brain wherever you want, wire it as long and as safely as you want, etc. I would love to do that with mine but I just can't be bothered lol.

Read the small print and speak with your insurer. If alarms aren't installed by an authorised company/person and the car is stolen you won't have a leg to stand on, you might as well fit the remote start whilst your there.

Hiya Yeh dont fit yourself I have a guy that is a MESF installer coming to do mine. As Frank says above!!!

I would explain the situation to my insurer, TBH I don't really care if it affects me premium or not, I just want it installing correctly, without ending up with screwdriver marks all over my dashboard, knackered wiring etc. Plus, if anything goes wrong with the alarm, I will be able to sort it myself. :)