The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW manual conversion

rob.sherer

Hi all.

I heard that there is a way of converting the supra to manual using a BMW gearbox.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this and how much the parts needed to do this will cost and what parts will be needed to do this.

Any help or guidance is highly appreciated :)

Rob

Ive heard a few do the bmw conversion and i heard its better. Supra gearboxes are over priced in my opinion. You might spend £3000 and then the 20yr old gearbox dies. M3 gearboxes are easy to get hold of for £400-500 and are much smoother and can hold big power. May take more modifying to fit but i believe in the long run it will be better. Can you imagine the prices of the v161 in 5 years time

They won't go up any further now, the price of brand new gearboxes keeps the second hand prices where they are. Remember, by using the BMW box you need a lot of custom parts. If any of those fail, your car could be off the road for weeks. Personally, I would rather spend a bit more, get the proper thing, have off the shelf spares, and increase the value of my car.

No brainer IMO :)

Maybe worth looking in to, but it's very risky. It is more than likely a scam, and if not, why is it so cheap? Could be faulty.

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk, pay more for a known good one.

This. I bet he can't produce any proof of mileage or recent footage of the box working.

That was advertised in london a few months back, saying he was selling it from a recent family death and clearing out parts but would have to be posted from scotland it screams scam,

However i recently picked up a 2nd hand v160 from a scotland for full conversion money and turns out the box is f#@k'd to put it nicely, and now struggling with contact with the seller

I'd only buy from a trusted seller if spending this amount of cash or new from america