The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na single or twin?

Guest Graves

Guest Graves

Hi guys, looking at getting a supra real soon but cannot decide weather to get a na single or twin turbo. I have about 7k to spend on one, what would be the best to look out for for the price?

What is the things I need to be looking out for when looking at one common faults?

Not to mention I'm 22 but supra is my dream car and once I get it I will NEVER sell it haha.

Much appreciated

Guest TheRedViper

I'm new here too and don't even have my own supra, but based on that budget and your eventual goals I would say go NA, keep like 3k of your budget, and if you are looking to keep the car, eventually invest in going single turbo from there, whether it takes 6 months or 3 years is up to you, but that seems to me like the best option.

Good luck with your search, I hope I can find my dream car soon!

At 22 with a 7k budget is say a decent na or twin turbo auto. Only thing that may kill you on the tt is insurance. Single turbo cars are generally 10k upwards. If your plan is to go single turbo then the GTE would be a better platform. Other wise potentially there's the na-t option. If you go for a tt auto and plan to go single the general consensus for a good build is 10k.

Good luck with your search. Just for info unless you are going na-t don't think about modifying the na the cost isn't worth the gains.

can buy my TT auto for 7k if you want, eyes on a nsx. but seriously ignore na - t its alot of money ... for that money there are better cars.

There arent many cars that you can double the horsepower for circa £3k

For the difference it makes, its far from expensive

Guest Graves

Thanks for the help guys. The insurance is going to be the main factor until I'm over 25 then can look at a turbo maybe? When I first started looking all eyes was on twin turbo because it was MORE turbo haha.

I think a na will be the best bet for now then and see where the road takes me.

Is there many na about? Seen one on piston heads that's about it.

I'm from Warrington in Cheshire.

Thanks

If you can afford to, go TT auto on your budget.

Make sure you have some spare money before you bleed yourself dry. IMO you want a good couple of grand sat in the bank just encase. Both the NA and TT cars are not cheap to maintain, and with age suspension, brakes, service items like plugs, crank pulley, oil seals will be starting to go on some cars.

I bought my NA manual at 20 and loved every second and still do but power lets her down a bit now after 5 years of ownership. Rebuilt it and if I totalled up what I have spent I could have bought a couple of TT6's and still have had change a few years back.

However a NA is a great car to start out, if you have never had a RWD car before.

Do some research and get on the byers guide.

Guest Graves

Thankyou! I totally understand so going from what you guys say is best is na for now.

I want one because it's a supra never mind the Bhp etc, that just helps the smile on your face.

Whatever you go for try to find a nice example, lots are unloved sheds that will just eat into your cash flow.

This, a good one will cost you less to run and you'll get all your money back when you sell. It's very slim pickings these days buying wise and you'd do well to combine being patient with being decisive! in order to be decisive and correct you need to see as many as you can to try and build up some knowledge of what makes a good one!

I had a UK TT and now got an NA to go NA-T, please don't listen when someone says it's expensive to do it...I went out in an NA-T with the basic stage 1 before making the decision and I was far from disappointed, at both the performance and the costs.

Guest Graves

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.

Everything you say I'll do my best to remember but as far as going to sell it once I get one I won't be doing that. Will be my pride and joy its my dream also so will not want to loose that :)

with manual tt's at £13-15k a manual NA-T can be a very cost effective route. Higher compression and lower gearing plus all the usual single noises can arguably make the driving experience with 320-360bhp better? It's definitely one to go into with your eyes wide open though.