The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting Issue After Battery Relocation *SOLVED*

a98pmalcolm

Hey all. So I have an issue. My idle control valve is on it way out so I am replacing that when it arrives but I feel that that may not be the case here.

On Tuesday I did a battery relocation, power steering res relocation and overflow tank relocation.

When I had finished I started to have an issue with starting the car.

The car wont start easily (most of the time) with out throttle assistance. This never happened before I did the work.

Out of the many times I have tested how the car starts 1 time it didn't even start at all just kept ticking over.

It all started as soon as I finished the battery relocation after the 1st start up.

Can any give me any help or ideas?

I have attached a video for you all.

1st time here was just generally trying to start the car.

2nd time as with throttle assistance

In all cases you can hear the fuel pump prime no probs.

Its like fuel or air starvation on ignition.

[uPDATE] New ICV fitted. Problem is still there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8or6h8v7GI

UPDATE 12/02/16

Ok so today I had a free day to look at this issue again, some suggested Earthing issue, as other people on other car forums that have the same issue.

So I earthed the hell out of the battery today by installing a 2nd earth and sanding the paint back to the metal and tidied some wires and still no luck. I am fitting a 170 amp alternator in a few weeks so I wonder if that will help.

Any more advice would be fab, I really want this sorted :(

Few pics from today:

Thanks

Paul

SOLVED

OK solved the issue thanks to all your help and Chaz. The issue was the power cable 0AWG amp cable juat wasn't efficient enough, I bought 415amp 60mm2 batter cable, heavy chunky stuff, and its now worked my issue with starting :)

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the 10mm nut stock earth at the back of the boot you have picked up on? also what size earth cable have you used ?

Hi Chaz.

Yes I have used the 10mm nut at the back of the boot. I also tried the rear seat bolt to the chassis, And then tried double earthing it using the rear seat bolt and the 10mm nut.

I am using 0 gauge wire.

Hi Frank. Its a no go back mod. Wires have been cut off ect... Thanks for you input anyway dude.

Its odd as its just needs the smallest throttle assistance to get it started.

I have ordered different batter terminals that another member used on his relocation to see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a voltage drop issue, in my opinion.

Hence why the boosting pack allows it to start, bigger better battery is the direction I would be heading.

You need one with more amps, which will assist the starting (eespecially when we get to the colder months).

Hope you manage to sort it.

Use a volt meter (multimeter) with extended leads to measure the voltage drop between starter terminal and battery + and engine block (ground) and battery -, *** whilst cranking the engine ***. If it's more than 1 to 1.5V on either you have inadequate cable or terminal sizes, or a bad ground to B- at the battery end. You should have a short thick cable from B - to a good clean metal ground by the battery, and something like welding cable between B + and the original positive battery cable under the bonnet. You can use the meter to test voltage drop across connectors and terminals, too. Red lead to B +, black to other side when testing the positive wiring. Opposite when testing ground wiring.

What amperage / hour is the battery?

***** Note edit, I failed to state to test voltage drop WHILST CRANKING THE ENGINE ON THE STARTER MOTOR.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)