The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T vs TT

Guest TheRedViper

Guest TheRedViper

Hey all, I'm wanting to buy a supra by the end of the year, I'm 21 in October so insurance is going to be attainable by then! Anyway I've never driven rwd or anything that powerful, so I've been thinking about getting the NA as a starter, then upgrading to the TT after I've gained experience with the car.

If I was to go down this route would I be better off selling the NA after a year or two and getting a TT, or keeping the NA and converting to a single turbo in my own time? As far as power is concerned, I'm not looking for massive numbers, if I got the TT I probably wouldn't want to go past BPU, however I've been told once you start it becomes an addiction, but I do want more than the NA has to offer so either way I'd be wanting some sort of upgrade eventually.

Dan

I'd strongly recommend going TT to start with, as I can almost guarantee you'll be bored with n/a after too short a time, and adding power to an n/a is much more costly than a TT. Plus if you ever planned to go single turbo, again it is much easier and cheaper to do with a TT

Guest TheRedViper

Thanks for quick replies guys! Once I turn 21 I can get insured on a UK TT for £750 or even less, it's double that on a j spec NA!

Stonkin you said about it being as fast as your right foot, I will respect the car but just want to know what it's like for a driver inexperienced with rwd? I trust myself not to be an idiot and wreck it, but how much can I trust the car?

I would invest some time and money and do some driver training, perhaps an instruction session on a skid pan or a track day, in a lively RWD car, and become confident with what to do, and what not to do when a RWD car gets out of shape. I have had the nerve wracking experience of being a passenger several times in a RWD car, in the wet, where the driver patently hasn't a clue how to handle it. I am of an age where most of my wild years were spent in RWD cars and controlling them became second nature after a few trips through hedges and worse. I find FWD cars horrible, fighting understeer with lousy traction. Forget the BTCC having winning FWD cars, the regulations favour them, and a good RWD car will always be quicker than a good FWD car on a track, or on the road, meaning in general terms your accident in a RWD car, mid corner, is likely to be at a higher speed.

Coming from even the most powerful FWD or all wheel drive car to a RWD car, especially one with iffy suspension and wheel set ups in the search for "stance" or whatever kids call it currently, can be an eye opener. Learning the ropes in a small light RWD car like a Caterfield will set you in good stead for the time your Supra springs a nasty surprise. Auto RWD cars can be more tricky than manuals, especially in the wet, where an unwanted or unexpected kick down, or mid corner gear change *WILL* unsettle them, often dramatically. Drive autos in manual mode in the wet, if emulating your race driver hero of the moment!!

When correctly timed opposite lock, of the right amount, is as second nature as wiping your backside is the time when you can push the limits, but even then road conditions can catch out the best. Stay safe! There have been lots of threads here about nasty things happening to new Supra owners, although compared to a 3 litre Capri on rubbish tyres, with knackered suspension, they are actually quite benign, treated with sense and respect ;)

I find ex motor bike riders of some experience are the best RWD convertees, they have got a feel for what grip is available, or they would be in the morgue, and they seem to convert their feel to RWD cars seamlessly.

Forget NA to turbo conversions, you end up with an expensive mongrel, doing one to OE standards will always cost a lot more than finding a tidy "proper" TT.

Do not underestimate the running costs of a TT, they are old, and parts are expensive. If you clear the bank account buying one, and it then turns out to need turbos, suspension or other costly stuff sorting, you will be in a mess, you need a healthy slush fund for when things go wrong.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I've only recently gone from a comparatively slow manual front wheel drive car to an auto TT supra, I was amazed at how easy they are to drive slowly. That's not to say the car is slow, just that if you want to drive slowly you can. It's not like a 1.4l petrol that you have to keep on the boil to make any progress with.

From what I've seen the TT and NA insurance are similar, ask around and get quotes for both.

Jump in at the deepend go TT or TT converted to Single if you have the budget :)

Drive how you feel comfortable not how others ex spect you to be but again drive with in your limits.

People say there expensive cars to run and maintain but doing your research you should already know this :p

My wallet has a permanent hole in it at the mo ment and I still haven't driven my car since buying.

Good luck in your hunt.

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

I went from a 150BHP 240ft/lbs Diesel Alfa to a 380-400BHP BPU VVTI Tiptronic... I'm still alive.

I'd skip the NA and jump straight into a TT. They're not firebreathing monsters until you're a single turbo on 550BHP+ Below 550BHP they're very tame and manageable so long as you're not stupid

But don't put your foot down in the wet...

Guest TheRedViper

Thank you all for the replies, all sounds very promising.

I've looked into getting on a driving course of sorts, but unsure as to which will be the most helpful, there's advanced handling, skid control and car control, all listed as different courses. Has anyone done any of these courses or know which would be helpful to a new supra driver?

Thank you all for the replies, all sounds very promising.

I've looked into getting on a driving course of sorts, but unsure as to which will be the most helpful, there's advanced handling, skid control and car control, all listed as different courses. Has anyone done any of these courses or know which would be helpful to a new supra driver?

I'd say something where you use your own car, with an instructor, on an airfield with nothing to hit, is your best bet. You can then build skills and experience from there.

Also as already mentioned supras are certainly not an everyday car.. Not unless you have a large wallet or rarely need to drive anywhere.

Last week I used my na to go to work and back every day. Over the week I spent £90 in fuel.

This week I have used the Audi A3 1.6 petrol, same journey and spent £20

Honestly, i think that TT Supra is not a good car for novice driver. Even the n/a will brake traction in hard acceleration (TT will do it more often/easier) in some circumstances and it can be little bit of scary thing if you are not used to it. A lot of Supras has been crashed due to driver errors in first year or so. I did drive the whole winter with Supra and sometimes it is really fast car to react and change direction when the traction is gone. I have a lot of RWD experience (in snow too) and Supra is the most challenging car to drive what i have ever owned. (and most rewarding too!). N/a is good car to learn driving. It is fast enough, but it doesn't have a brutal power delivery, handles beautifully and when you a pushing it just get better and better to drive. If you wan't to have more performance you can make suspension upgrades and add go faster bits (exhaust+ecu). They will cost you quite a lot, but these are not cheap cars to own and mod anyway...

I would say take the n/a, learn to drive and after that ---->na-t (this could be a good option if you have a good base car) or go straight to TT (these will be a very collectible cars in the future). Supra's value is going up, so it is expensive no matter what you do... :D

I went from a suzuki jimny quite heavily modified for off road use with low ratio transfer box big mud tyres etc etc, its over a foot higher than a standard jimny, not a performance car in anyway shape or form with a high powered 82bhp at my right foot to a Twin turbo supra i'd only been driving just over 2 years had my supra a year now

i think the supra is a relatively easy car to drive and very stable at speed and through the bends and i drive mine ALOT and try stay away from dual carriage ways and stay to moor roads twisty and bumpy makes it alot more fun :)

i wouldn't worry about the jump up just need to have respect for the car and just drive within your limits, i do find the supra a very confidence inspiring car and like to drive it what i would call hard

fuel consumption is high though, i spend on average around 12-1500 a month on my fuel, but like i said i drive mine alot and hard

I say before you decide, take a ride in an n/a and take a ride in a TT, maybe even a BPU TT and that will tell you what you're looking for. People talk about the Supra like its some driver killing machine - it's only ever going to go as fast as you let it, so as long as you're sensible and don't push your luck (especially in poor conditions) you've got nothing to worry about with a TT. Trust me ;)

, i spend on average around 12-1500 a month on my fuel, but like i said i drive mine alot and hard

:blink:

I spent a bit over £600 on a 2500 mile roadtrip around Europe over 2 weeks. This included 2 days of hard driving at the nurburgring.

Unless you're doing 4000+ miles per month (the national average Inc company cars is 1000 per month), there is a serious fuelling issue with your car.

:blink:

I spent a bit over £600 on a 2500 mile roadtrip around Europe over 2 weeks. This included 2 days of hard driving at the nurburgring.

Unless you're doing 4000+ miles per month (the national average Inc company cars is 1000 per month), there is a serious fuelling issue with your car.

might take a look at my 02 sensors but car seems to run fine, i don't think i'd do 4000 miles a month, maybe 2000 which would work out at around 10mpg which i guess a 3 litre twin turbo would get when used hard. i want to get use of the car whilst its summer and then take it off the road in winter

Guest TheRedViper

Seems slightly mixed opinions but most say it comes down to the driver, which makes me a lot more confident, I would definitely respect the car.

Also it would be my daily driver, whether or not that changes people's opinions I don't know. I say daily driver but I live on base monday-Friday so wouldn't drive it every day, maybe once a week then weekends. I've started looking for a UK spec supra now, I wouldn't mind a j spec but I just think insurance will screw me even though it's practically the same car, if anything it should be cheaper as it is 'supposedly' only 280bhp.

My budget is pretty flexible, I put 10k as an estimate, I don't have 10k now but I still have to sell my fiesta, and the longer I wait, the more I can spend, however they're going up in price, which makes me want one soonish.