The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from West Yorkshire!

Guest TheRedViper

Guest TheRedViper

Hello all,

So not currently a supra owner but like many it has been a dream car since I was a boy. I'm only 20 so still quite young, however I'm in a position where I can get insured in 2 months when I turn 21, and will have roughly a 10k budget, possibly maybe a bit over.

Obviously I want a TT, but this is why I came onto the forum. I currently drive a 1.6 58 plate fiesta, and have only ever driven slow fwd cars, I have never driven a rwd car in my life, and especially not one that puts out over 300bhp stock.

So I have a few options really. Keep my current car, however I'll never get experience this way. Buy a TT and learn as I go. Buy an N/A, learn rwd in that with less power and then upgrade in a year or two. Or buy some cheap rwd like an old bmw or an mx5 and learn in that for a year or two.

I'm sure there are young lads like me that have bought TT's and not killed themselves or totalled their cars so would just like some opinions👍🏻

Hello :)

While we do have some forum members who have successfully had a Supra as their first RWD car, there have also been people who have written them off within days/weeks of getting them. They are a fairly stable car with no poor handling vices, but like any powerful RWD car they can catch you out.

If I were in your position, I would be looking at a 200sx for a first RWD car. They are quick, light, and are a great way to get used to RWD. They are also ripe for tuning if and when you get bored of stock power. Oh, and with a few tweeks they can look amazing! :cool:

Although not young, when I bought my TT Auto, I stepped up from a 1.4 Fiesta, and this was the most powerful, and only rear wheel drive, car I'd ever driven. As long as you treat them with respect you should be fine.

I've only been caught out twice in 10 years, the first time was the first time I experimented with manual mode; I pulled out of a junction and before I knew what had happened I had lit the rear tyres up in 1st. I was pointing sideways looking at a bus shelter full of bemused people. The second was accelerating whilst crossing painted white markings, which led to an unexpected oversteer, and an overcorrection resulting in a 360 down a dual carriage way at about 50.

Both incidents resulted in nothing more than a change of underpants, and a new found respect for the car.

That said I had 11 years experience of FWD prior to making the leap, and no friends I needed to impress.

Mike

Guest TheRedViper

The 200sx is a nice looking car(at least from the front, not too fond of the rear!) however would a jump from that to a supe still be quite a difference due to the weight and size of the cars?

I am well aware of how much respect I need to give the car, obviously you don't get a car like to drive like your grandmother but I also wouldn't be stupid with it, it's a lot of money and a beautiful car at stake. My biggest worry isn't an accident coming from me driving like a spanner, more the car acting 'unexpectedly', however from a couple of responses here it seems that the car isn't really like that?

Also @supra_ufo I'm in the Wakefield area, would absolutely love a passenger ride, as of yet I haven't been in one, but one day!

I am 24 and have an na 5 speed. Bought it when I was 23 after only having fwd cars.. My previous car was a Peugeot 106 gti but like you had always dreamed of owning a supra so finally took the plunge. It's not the power that catches you out, it's simply how you treat it. When I first got it I wanted to try and make the back end step out just for fun and successfully did it slightly a couple of times... Then I ended up spinning it.. Twice. Which then got me thinking, why risk smashing up something I absolutely adore and have worked hard for. Why be a dick when I know if it goes wrong I'm going to lose it.

It's a big jump in my opinion, I gradually moved up power as I changed cars I went from a saxo vts (I know chavtastic) to a focus st then to a mountune focus rs then a evo 9 mr fq 360 then finally to my TT6, I think it'll be a huge shock to the system to jump from a fiesta to a TT6. Although if you think you can control yourself and not just stamp on the loud pedal willy nilly I'm only 23 but as I moved up through the cars I showed them the respect they deserved that's why I've never crashed anything (touch wood) I've done a few unintentional spins when drifting round where I live but nothing serious. But if you can be good go for it ;)

Guest TheRedViper

It seems like it comes more down to maturity and how you respect the car, which if is the case, I would be a lot more tempted to make the straight jump up, like said above, why act stupid and risk something you've worked so hard to get, or even your life, or someone else's?

Im thinking of doing a advanced handling course perhaps, so if I do make the jump I will at least have driven a rwd car and gotten more of a feel for it than I do now. I would be pretty nervous test driving a supra if that was the first time I'd ever driven anything of the sort!

Hello :)

While we do have some forum members who have successfully had a Supra as their first RWD car, there have also been people who have written them off within days/weeks of getting them. They are a fairly stable car with no poor handling vices, but like any powerful RWD car they can catch you out.

If I were in your position, I would be looking at a 200sx for a first RWD car. They are quick, light, and are a great way to get used to RWD. They are also ripe for tuning if and when you get bored of stock power. Oh, and with a few tweeks they can look amazing! :cool:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5142/5580668284_acf37de955_b.jpg

So mine must be a record with only 12 minutes on the road before it span out and went sideways in to a taxi and backwards through a bus stop and fence ! Absolutely hammering down with rain and my tyre blew out on the rear.