The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight cleaning?

raddys

Heloooo guys and girls

As I'm sure many of you have experienced the joys of clouded yellow headlights.. my question to you guys is what's the best option to get them back to new?

I have bought some g3 compound polish and wondering if it is wise to use this on the headlights?

Any help much appreciated :)

Thanks

Guest Andysdr

Hi Raddys,

I've just had my headlights polished a couple of weeks ago and I'm really pleased with the results. I took them to my local car detaling place and he cgarged me £10 a headlight.

If you want to do them yourself it might be worth be havin a look on youtube first to see if there's any useful tips on there. Good luck!

Andy

G3 compound is what i use to buff them up, works a treat! Depends how yellowed they are - you may want to go down the sanding through the different grits route first and then finish with g3 on a cutting/finishing pad.

Alternatively you could take out all the yellow with sanding then laquer over the top which is what i did on my pre-facelift lights - came out like glass

What g3 did you buy as personally I woudnt use the coarse stuff.

I would wet and dry starting with a coarse grain up to a superfine. Then use a cutting compound (medium g3 will be fine) to clear them up, with aid of a electric polisher or a pad on a drill.

Then polish and wax with some decent quality products providing some good UV protection.

I used the above process on my Passats headlights and they still look great over a year on, just starting to discolour on the edges again, but I don't keep her well waxed being a daily driver.

If you keep on top off the wax they will hold out well and may only need cutting back again every so often.

Perfect cheers lads :)

Also looking to paint the insides black at the same time??

My mate did his by sticking them in the oven the soften the glue

However I see alot of black around the outside of the light.. has anyone painted the inside of their lights??

• 8 months later...
Just done my J-spec pre facelift headlights this evening, not brilliant but damn site better using Colgate, some baking soda and elbow grease, finished with WD-40.

You have done a very good job there, get some good layers of a decent wax on them to help protect them. WD40 will not finish them and protect them for any length of time.

• 7 months later...