The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Let's talk turbos!

JackyBoi

Some of you may know that I am planning to sell the HKS twins and replace them with a single, and I am pretty much set on a Precision 6266 journal with twin scroll manifold and single 60mm wastegate. However, I am curious to see what other people are running, with what power, torque, spool etc, so that I can really compare other turbos to the 6266. I've been going through the Supra garage for ages but often there is little helpful info regarding the actual advantages/disadvantages of turbos. So, what turbocharger are you guys running out there and what power are you achieving with the setup?

My max power goal would be 700hp which is achievable on a 6266, but someone way well tell me that I'm way better off going for a different setup. Help would be hugely appreciated before spending £4k+ :)

Probably not the definitive thread but....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?317595-Single-turbo-reccomendations&highlight=street

Judging by that thread 6266 is the way to go :)

....there was certainly a lot covered in it

Currently from what I have seen and researched, the Precison turbo's are the new generation, even the R34 boys are replacing their Garret turbo with precision.

That's what I'm thinking. Only drawback is obviously that it would need to be rebuilt in America should it break, but let's just hope it doesn't come to that!

There's plenty of turbos and brands out there.

Just because most use precision doesn't mean the rest is crap.

Choose your turbo wisely (in the voice of the knight from Indiana jones.... Yes that one)

Depending on several factors such as what your goals are, what you're running and any future plans.

Many supra community guys go for precision. As they have a Good reliability status and perform very well (and lots of people use them ofcourse)

Overall precision is a good choice, but good supporting mods makes a setup even better!

So don't just look At what turbo you want, have a good look at the supporting mods you want or need as well!

There's plenty of turbos and brands out there.

Just because most use precision doesn't mean the rest is crap.

Choose your turbo wisely (in the voice of the knight from Indiana jones.... Yes that one)

Depending on several factors such as what your goals are, what you're running and any future plans.

Many supra community guys go for precision. As they have a Good reliability status and perform very well (and lots of people use them ofcourse)

Overall precision is a good choice, but good supporting mods makes a setup even better!

So don't just look At what turbo you want, have a good look at the supporting mods you want or need as well!

Thanks for the help mate. Do you personally rate Precision? My goal now is 600hp which is just above what I run, long term is fully built engine and 700-800hp, but we're talking years :) as for supporting mods I'm fortunate to already have them in place (Syvecs, FMIC, fuelling, exhaust, suspension etc) so it's just a case of taking the old turbos out, putting the new one in and having it mapped :)

Thanks for the help mate. Do you personally rate Precision? My goal now is 600hp which is just above what I run, long term is fully built engine and 700-800hp, but we're talking years :) as for supporting mods I'm fortunate to already have them in place (Syvecs, FMIC, fuelling, exhaust, suspension etc) so it's just a case of taking the old turbos out, putting the new one in and having it mapped :)

We certainly do. And use them for a lot of our customer setups too.

I would go 6262 and grab a smallish turbine housing, especially for now, it will improve spool slightly and you will reach your goal easily enough.

Some of you may know that I am planning to sell the HKS twins and replace them with a single, and I am pretty much set on a Precision 6266 journal with twin scroll manifold and single 60mm wastegate.

Is there a reason for going with a journal bearing turbo? A dual ball bearing turbo will spool significantly quicker, definitely worth the extra IMO.

If you a wanting a fast spool 600hp, a Garrett GTX3582R would be what I'd go with.

We certainly do. And use them for a lot of our customer setups too.

I would go 6262 and grab a smallish turbine housing, especially for now, it will improve spool slightly and you will reach your goal easily enough.

I was thinking of a 1 a/r or maybe slightly smaller as I don't want to do what I've done now and choke the turbo in the higher revs.

Is there a reason for going with a journal bearing turbo? A dual ball bearing turbo will spool significantly quicker, definitely worth the extra IMO.

If you a wanting a fast spool 600hp, a Garrett GTX3582R would be what I'd go with.

Because there is minimal road difference between journal and ball bearing. Yes 300rpm or so is something, but really £500 worth? Plus mine is a VVTi anyway, so that gives me my £500 right back :)

Because there is minimal road difference between journal and ball bearing. Yes 300rpm or so is something, but really £500 worth? Plus mine is a VVTi anyway, so that gives me my £500 right back :)

Are you not selling the twins because of so much lag? :D

300rpm will be a good bit of difference to the experience. A 62mm instead of a 66mm will also make a slight difference with a good compressor housing choice. Couple that with the fact you're blessed with VVTi means you could have a very fast spooling setup if you play your cards right. You could be hitting full boost at around 3400krpm, it all adds up in the end :)

Are you not selling the twins because of so much lag? :D

300rpm will be a good bit of difference to the experience. A 62mm instead of a 66mm will also make a slight difference with a good compressor housing choice. Couple that with the fact you're blessed with VVTi means you could have a very fast spooling setup if you play your cards right. You could be hitting full boost at around 3400krpm, it all adds up in the end :)

It's not that the twins are hugely laggy, it's just that modern singles, well, aren't..

Still though. I'd rather keep the £500 in my pocket and still have a quick spooling setup than be damn well near broke for that extra 300rpm ;)

If your limit is 700bhp I'd be looking at the Precision 6266 Journal/GEN2. Both will be capable of making the power you are aiming for. The benefit of the 6266 is its capable of 800bhp with supporting mods which gives you a little headroom to play with if you wish.

I think that's exactly what I'm going to go for, too many good reviews and dyno graphs showing great spool along with a great power curve right to the redline. How does the 6266 sound in person? I still need to take James up on his offer of taking me for a spin so I can see first-hand how well it performs and sounds, as the sound is a very important part for me ;)

You are effectively spending a lot of money to get a tiny bit less lag. A single turbo capable of a genuine 700 BHP will be laggy, it will kill auto boxes, and be terrible off the line. Unless you just want pub talk figures, (and in that case you should have kept the glamorous twins) aiming for a genuine 500 BHP with as small a turbo as will manage it will give SO MUCH more real world, on the road performance as to be incomparable. A good driver in a single turbo MKIV built for a max of 500 BHP will leave a good driver in an identical one making 700 BHP for dead on average roads.

A 500 BHP engine will still kill auto boxes, just not as frequently.

Forget hi-stall torque converters, useless and an embarrassment in a road car. Strictly drag race only. STRICTLY!!

Add in the fact it's an automatic and the situation is even worse. If you don't look for maximum area under the torque curve you will never make a road car automatic turbo go well, unless it's something like a seven speed box.

Forget the red line figures, look at the torque figures, you don't want a road car that needs running up towards the red line to give torque and power. Firstly it attracts the wrong sort of attention, a copper hearing a loud engine at 6K RPM is a hair trigger away from investigating, pointing a radar gun, or selecting 1st gear and turning on the blue lights.

Secondly, an old school straight six 3 litre, run hard at high RPM's will need constant maintenance. Same engine making big torque at lower RPM's is a LOT less stressed.

Sending a turbo to Owen Developments for a rebuild / repair or a housing / impeller swap, is a LOT less hassle and cost than sending it to the USA.

Garrett have forgotten more than Precision will probably ever know, they are a major player, their research and development is second to none.

If your limit is 700bhp I'd be looking at the Precision 6266 Journal/GEN2. Both will be capable of making the power you are aiming for. The benefit of the 6266 is its capable of 800bhp with supporting mods which gives you a little headroom to play with if you wish.

GEN2 are dbb only mate I believe , I would go with 6262 if not just for balance.

I see a thread on some site recently about compairing turbos and theyvare all slightly different in size so cant compair different brands equally . Result was they are all about the same

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

Yeah get what your saying now, thought you was on about a journal GEN2 ;)

Jamie P's was a 6266 GEN2 and made 700bhp on pump fuel

TheTurtleshead has a 6266 Journal and made 708bhp on pump fuel.

So both the GEN2 and Journal are proven to hit 700bhp on pump fuel. But then Jamie's made 780bhp on ethanol, so they can be pushed to almost 800bhp.

Jamie P's was a 6266 GEN2 and made 700bhp on pump fuel

TheTurtleshead has a 6266 Journal and made 708bhp on pump fuel.

So both the GEN2 and Journal are proven to hit 700bhp on pump fuel. But then Jamie's made 780bhp on ethanol, so they can be pushed to almost 800bhp.

Would be nice to see the spool / dyno over lay on them ;)

I have an old T67 dbb with a .68 turbine housing and make 1.2by 4000 in first /second when I can get traction, turbine housing makes the most spool difference im sure .

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)