The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sanding Off Peeling Laquer - Carbon - what grit sandpaper?

SupraP-Z

My TRD spoiler has really started to feel the effects of the sun and other elements. The carbon blade has got really bad patchy peeling and flaking of its epoxy/laquered layer. In places it has gone milky white and blistered...when its touched it just comes off like flaky paint.

I want to give the whole blade a quick sand down and feather those peel sections out so its relatively flat. Reason i want to do this, im going to wrap it in an 8D glossy carbon wrap - which looks the nuts btw. I just dont want dips and lumps underneath the wrap is all.

Ok so which is the coarsest grade sandpaper should i be using?

1000 grit? or can i go lower to feather out the edges? I dont want to key it too much. I have 1200 - 3000 grit already, just not sure it will be enough to flat it down smooth.

Also hand sand or DA?

Thanks

Ideally i wanted to get it re-epoxied - saw a thread on someone who had their carbon bonnet re-layed and epoxied over the top, came out a fantastic job from what i remember. Just not sure its worth the hassel atm, so getting flakeyness off and it flatted down and a carbon skin laid over the top is what my plan was.

Gaz, i thought you were a wiz at all things like this!

Did i mention im going to be TRYING to wrap my spoiler in this stuff :p im no expert haha. I have been practicing a bit here and there though, i want to be able to wrap the whole car eventually.

Big supes, do you do full wrapping services?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, thank you all for the replies. Think ill go with 500 get it all flat and take it from there - cheers

I am happy to tackle most things, but something about vinyl and me, don't bode well together!

I just cannot do it, and I always end up in a right mess, and getting the hump :rlol:

Back to yours though, if you can sand it well enough to lose the edges, but without affecting the carbon itself, it could probably just be lacquered with 2k.

Carbon skinning is of course another option, but being honest, it would probably cost as much to buy a new blade

Ideally i wanted to get it re-epoxied - saw a thread on someone who had their carbon bonnet re-layed and epoxied over the top, came out a fantastic job from what i remember. Just not sure its worth the hassel atm, so getting flakeyness off and it flatted down and a carbon skin laid over the top is what my plan was.

Gaz, i thought you were a wiz at all things like this!

Did i mention im going to be TRYING to wrap my spoiler in this stuff :p im no expert haha. I have been practicing a bit here and there though, i want to be able to wrap the whole car eventually.

Big supes, do you do full wrapping services?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, thank you all for the replies. Think ill go with 500 get it all flat and take it from there - cheers

Hi mate, generally I don't really offer full wrapping services as I value my weekends too much, but if a member had somewhere suitable and we could arrange the right time to do it, I would be open to the idea.