The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The manifold saga continues HELP needed again

ripped_fear

So it appears it isnt third time lucky.

One of the studs that screws into the side of the engine that allows you to put a nut on the end to hold the maifold to the engine, has decided it doesnt want to screw in any more. Suggestions? guessing the thread has died but seems starange as the studs thread itself look ok and it hasnt bee cross threaded. And need the car on the road in the next couple of hours as its off to have the LSD fitted.

HELP :sos:

Wrong way round

100% not

Helicoil it mate.

Any idea how I find out which one I need?

Put it back together without that stud, maybe it'll blow, but at least you will stay on target for the diff swap and whilst it's there, there may be a mickanic that's not spannerlexic and can fix it for you?

Im going to put it back together and get the diff done as you say.

Would hardly call myself spannerlexic Its only been the manifold job that has ever caused me an issue from start to finish.

One thing which is good is it doesnt actually seem to be blowing but still want it sorted.

You may be lucky and find that the nut had walked down the stud and has only stripped the first few threads out of the aluminium head, if so, fit a stud without a shoulder which will reach into 10mm of thread at the bottom of the hole that is unused with a stock stud.

If that doesn't work, helicoil it or re-tap a size up.

Ok just taken it round the block, I take back the coment about the noise, if you blip the throttle at stand still you can hear it high in the rev range but when driving sounds much better and am happy with it as long as I get the stud sorted, the other good thing is that it isnt blowing either. :thumbs:

Ok just taken it round the block, I take back the coment about the noise, if you blip the throttle at stand still you can hear it high in the rev range but when driving sounds much better and am happy with it as long as I get the stud sorted, the other good thing is that it isnt blowing either. :thumbs:

Glad you got it sorted and you are happy with it.

Text you as i was going to offer you a 2nd decat swap as i have a 2.5" one aswell

So it appears it isnt third time lucky.

One of the studs that screws into the side of the engine that allows you to put a nut on the end to hold the maifold to the engine, has decided it doesnt want to screw in any more. Suggestions? guessing the thread has died but seems starange as the studs thread itself look ok and it hasnt bee cross threaded. And need the car on the road in the next couple of hours as its off to have the LSD fitted.

HELP :sos:

TCB do replacement slightly oversize studs, I've used them and swear by them ;)

Cheers for the heads up, didnt realise TCB do them. its the thread on the engine unfortunately that have died, but may aswell get a new stud too.

Quite clearly you don't understand how nuts & bolts work, have a chat with your micknick before pressing any more buttons about it.

It's only the block side of the stud that is oversize, they do the appropriate tap too and it's a simple job and they are SOLID. I used helicoils years ago in my motorbike heads but they never felt strong, you could always feel them stretch........oversize studs ftw.

A properly inserted Helicoil in aluminium alloy forms a thread far stronger than one just tapped direct in the alloy. All Rolls Royce engines used to have all in alloy threads of any importance Helicoiled from the get go.

Have spoken to Cole who just fitted my LSD and he has a full helicoil kit so am going to be going back one eve to sort it out :thumbs: thanks for the advice everyone luckily its not blowing for now!