The mkiv Supra Owners Club

leaving the supra to my child

mellonman

Ok bit of an odd one

Do you think my son would appreciate me giving him my supra, even though he is just 1.5 now? Im not going to sell it ever its just not worth it for the amount of hours I have put in and would rather see it with him, I think he is the only reason I still have it now ,to pass it o to him !

Its the only goal I have is for him to enjoy the speed just like my step daughter did when she was young and for him to follow in my foot steps with the joy a supra can bring, I know by the time he is old enough there will be something else amazing and may just think its an old banger, but its still something I would like for him to enjoy it as much as I did?

Or is it the same as my old man and a ford angular?

All comments welcome guyz

All depends on the upbringing dude, if you bring your kids up correctly (which I know you will), they'll appreciate the smallest things in life.

I plan on making my daughter pay for everything herself, I'll have a nice present in store for her but regardless what I have on the drive she will have to earn it herself, only then will be realise the importance of managing money and working hard. The day I see she gets it and is independent is the day I'll have special in store for her, if I ever live that long.

Great gift though if he becomes a petrolhead!

All depends on the upbringing dude, if you bring your kids up correctly (which I know you will), they'll appreciate the smallest things in life.

I plan on making my daughter pay for everything herself, I'll have a nice present in store for her but regardless what I have on the drive she will have to earn it herself, only then will be realise the importance of managing money and working hard. The day I see she gets it and is independent is the day I'll have special in store for her, if I ever live that long.

This.

My boys will be paying rent the minute they get a job. What they won't know is that it'll be going into a separate account and being saved until they're obviously grown up enough to understand the paying their way thing and want to do something sensible. Like buy a house.

Neither of 'em will be getting my Supra though. It's mine dammit! :sly:

Deffo keep it for your Son, as long as your finances are in check then I see no other reason why you should need to sell it on.

A Supra deserves to be kept in the family. Not many cars designed 21 years ago are still this popular in this day & age, a bit like a Concorde where it still looks great. Either way, if your Son doesn't like it in the years to come, he would come out with £$, so it's a win-win.

If you pass it on you may wanna consider cleaning it!!!!! :p

Haha best post so far

He can earn it by cleaning it for me every week, I might be thinking to far ahead really as he is so youg and loving now but when he gets too 14 he may well be like kevin and perry and he wont get s#it lol

My 2p worth: don't try to plan out your son's life. I know there's a big leap between keeping a car for him and planning out his entire life, but it extrapolates. By all means give/leave him the supra, but don't be upset if he just sells it on. (if you leave him the supra as opposed to give it to him, I doubt you'll mind what he does with it because you'll be brown bread)

Old cars aren't everyone's cup of tea. He might resent a perceived enforced involvement with it. He is not you, and might not have the same interests. It's hard because we're all car nuts, but think about a hobby in which you have no interest at all (e.g. fishing?). I'm sure if someone takes their fishing seriously enough, they can buy rods etc that are worth thousands each. If your dad left you a lot of fishing gear and told you he'd like you to use it, how would you feel?

That probably doesn't help at all. :D

As long as you don't teach her how to drag race she will be alright :)

I think it's a brilliant idea and if you want to do it then do it! I mean I'm only 19 and I've already told myself I will never, ever sell my Supra and I will keep it until a time comes where I have to choose who to leave all my stuff to! Think about it, in 20-40 years or so who knows how much these cars would be worth, and if your son was to sell it on rather than keep it for himself (say if his opinion was it was just an old banger) then at least you know he's getting a small fortune, which he could use for property, his own family etc etc

This.

My boys will be paying rent the minute they get a job. What they won't know is that it'll be going into a separate account and being saved until they're obviously grown up enough to understand the paying their way thing and want to do something sensible. Like buy a house.

Neither of 'em will be getting my Supra though. It's mine dammit! :sly:

Lets hope they don't read this post! :D

The number of people who have said to me "I'll *NEVER* sell it, it's a keeper, I wouldn't part with it for gold", blah blah! Then when I next see them they are saying, "What, that POS, cost me a fortune when the tizzle whirzer snapped, got me a mint ****** at handy money, can you tune it up?".

Never say never...

And he'll think it's an old man's car, a real embarrassment and fit for the scrap man by the time he's old enough to drive it, assuming we aren't all working ourselves to death for the Chinese with a stick across our backs.

Put the money into a decent private education for the lad.

This is something I want to do with my daughter I just hope she has an interest in it she is also 1. My mum and dad are moving house and were chucking everything out of the loft so they phoned me and asked me if I wanted any of my old toys from when I was growing up the things she most liked playing with were my old corgis and matchbox cars so heres hoping she's going to be into cars like her dad

And he'll think it's an old man's car, a real embarrassment and fit for the scrap man by the time he's old enough to drive it, .

If my old man had given me an old mustang/charger/cuda/Camaro at 17yrs old you would be dog's danglies with glittery bits, same sort of time scale by then Supra's will be super rare and no-one will have seen F&F so will be more kudos as they won't know about the films as it was before 3D plasma super HD reflexive surround and hyper vision was the norm. Unless of course they spin it out until Vin Diesel is needing assistance to get into his wheelchair for a 50m sprint down the corridor when the pills come out.