The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or manual what to do?

Guest Urky_89

Guest Urky_89

Hi guys, after much thought (and permission from the other half ) I have decided this will be the year I get a supra. Had my heart set on a manual but realistically it would stretch my budget to much so I'm thinking auto. Has anyone else been in this situation and has the auto been better than u thought it would be and kept you happy? I'm sure I would be over the moon with an auto all supras are beasts lol just wondered if anyone on here has been there and done it?

Auto twinturbo is top notch imo (i have no experience of the na Auto), they are haters of the auto and always will be but my honest assessment over the last 5yrs is that its couldnt be better, how anyone with a 6speed has more fun than i do in my auto i dont know. Thing is if you buy an auto and dont like it as much as you would like do a transmission conversion its not a massive job to do

Glws for a Supra and welcome to the club

Guest Urky_89

cheers man, yeh it would be a TT. Been looking at more info n stuff this evening and think an auto is the way to go. Just want it on my driveway now haha looking forward to joing the supra crew:)

I am in the same boat, part of me feels it would only be proper to go for a manual but I would have to sell both kidneys to afford one. :)

From what I gather the auto gearbox is pretty good, not like the scrap in I have driven.

Good luck anyway mate and welcome

People always do this, get caught up in the stigma against autos. A lot of people, once they drive an auto, really like it. Id definitely say drive an auto, the whole 'not involved in the driving experience' it utter rubbish ;)

Plus, the 6 speed box is a shocker, first time I drove one I thought it was broken, apparently thats how they all are lol

Guest Urky_89

It is tricky to get out of the mindset of auto=boring even though I know it's utter crap lol it isn't going to be a daily but I'm thinking I would rather get a cleaner auto than a manual that's goin to be more tatty on my budget. I think that if it ever comes too it and I'm not happy I can always switch to a manual at a later date but I have a feeling I'm really not goin to be disappointed. Hopefully guna try n test drive one soon, I know once I've done that I'm guna have to get one haha

Auto twinturbo is top notch imo (i have no experience of the na Auto), they are haters of the auto and always will be but my honest assessment over the last 5yrs is that its couldnt be better, how anyone with a 6speed has more fun than i do in my auto i dont know. Thing is if you buy an auto and dont like it as much as you would like do a transmission conversion its not a massive job to do

Glws for a Supra and welcome to the club

You clearly haven't been sideways :D

They both have pro's and con's, I have owned both and they are as good as each other. Loads of threads on this very subject.

People always do this, get caught up in the stigma against autos. A lot of people, once they drive an auto, really like it. Id definitely say drive an auto, the whole 'not involved in the driving experience' it utter rubbish ;)

Plus, the 6 speed box is a shocker, first time I drove one I thought it was broken, apparently thats how they all are lol

True words. I hate manual.

I'd your going to go for power then manual it will.be cheaper in the long run and they may hold there value more than the auto but then again supras seem to.be getting rare on both transmissions and TT or NA form.

The only reason I have a manual in my car is because I got lucky that it had already been converted when I bought it (it's and aero top only come in auto in the uk)

Personally I'd go manual if you have the budget if it is a weekend car. But try the auto as they can handle 400bhp no problem with a few coolers and tweaks.

Costs you proberbly know already but a decent auto your looking at 8-9k

Manual 14+k

Manual conversion kits are around 3half to 5k 2nd hand.

Iv drove my first sets of autos here in Switzerland, both new and old, and it didnt matter how much of a sports car they where it still just didnt excite me having my gears changed for me, even retardedly at times, and you see your up too high of a gear for a hill or something, but its just waiting for a gamy downshift when its to late!

I went for a 6 speed first, it wasnt even TT, just a six speed! And for me it was the best manual box i have ever felt, its so heavy, i dont know like a tractor, but when you needed to move fast (for an NA) the whole box just lightened up, gears are silky smooth, so fast!

I could never not have that experience!

Having said that i have never drove an auto Supra!

Unfortunatly for the Autos i personaly have judged them as i judge all autos!

Try both before you buy is all i can say

Good luck with the search!

Edited by Supra.SZ-R (see edit history)

I've had, 2 manual tt's, a 6 speed na and 3 auto tt's

in my experience to add to the above

if the manual feels clunky then the flywheel or gearshift linkage is well worn, they are not silky smooth but then the talk of being tractor like is well overstated.

The auto is absolutely not like a dull regular car forever shifting/hunting for gears. it only has 4 gears and the torque is such that downshifts on hills aren't needed. In normal driving it's out of 1 and 2 very quickly but the shifts are so smooth driving normally you'll barely feel them. like all auto's it'll shift into top 4th when it can, but will drop down to third with the right speed and throttle inputs which again I've never found to be frustrating or having a mind of its own. You also have an overdrive button which is effectively a 3/4 shifter, which is great for the motorway, as someone pulls in you can drop to third at the press of this button and then press it again once past to shift back to fourth and continue cruising.

Really stomping the pedal at sub 50mph will see a harsher kick down to second (no harsher than a dramatic manual downshift) I prefer to select 2 with the stick so the car is settled for what I'm going to ask of it.

The auto is useless for drifty t junction getaways, a sneaky doughnut basically anything requiring on demand wheel spin, it's designed not to lose traction from a stand still which it does very well hence the generally quicker 1/4 mile times than manuals.

I've talked a lot more about the auto as well there is more to get across, a manual in my volvo is also identical to the manual in a supra operation wise, but all auto's are not equal, I've driven some very dull and annoying auto's but the Supra's box isn't one of them and for it's time is a very good usable and tough box.

if the manual feels clunky then the flywheel or gearshift linkage is well worn, they are not silky smooth but then the talk of being tractor like is well overstated.

The auto is absolutely not like a dull regular car forever shifting/hunting for gears. it only has 4 gears and the torque is such that downshifts on hills aren't needed. In normal driving it's out of 1 and 2 very quickly but the shifts are so smooth driving normally you'll barely feel them. like all auto's it'll shift into top 4th when it can, but will drop down to third with the right speed and throttle inputs which again I've never found to be frustrating or having a mind of its own. You also have an overdrive button which is effectively a 3/4 shifter, which is great for the motorway, as someone pulls in you can drop to third at the press of this button and then press it again once past to shift back to fourth and continue cruising.

Really stomping the pedal at sub 50mph will see a harsher kick down to second (no harsher than a dramatic manual downshift) I prefer to select 2 with the stick so the car is settled for what I'm going to ask of it.

The auto is useless for drifty t junction getaways, a sneaky doughnut basically anything requiring on demand wheel spin, it's designed not to lose traction from a stand still which it does very well hence the generally quicker 1/4 mile times than manuals.

I've talked a lot more about the auto as well there is more to get across, a manual in my volvo is also identical to the manual in a supra operation wise, but all auto's are not equal, I've driven some very dull and annoying auto's but the Supra's box isn't one of them and for it's time is a very good usable and tough box.

Well thats me schooled anyway!

Probably just my old banged up SZ-R

Maybe the shift linkages were woren :/

I really enjoyed owning my Auto-TT, it was a very nice cruiser and could take the twistys just fine.

I really enjoy driving my Manual TT, it's a lot of fun on the twisty stuff, and can handle some serious amount of power, should I feel that I'm too accustomed to the power at present.

I have never found my Getrag agricultural, on my current car or my NA6.

In the future, I guess the manuals will be the cars that command a premium.

When I was offered an auto Supra right away I thought nah autos are for women, puffed my chest out looked at Skylines and then remembered the trouble I've had with Nissans so went for the Supra Auto, and I couldn't have been more wrong...the auto in the Supras are superb! Actually really nice to drive so whenever someone has doubts about them I'll jump in always and say do not be put off by autos like I was, because I was proven wrong 100%

Guest Urky_89

Cheers for all the replies guys, I think I'm just guna have to drive both n see which I prefer. My bro has a 32 gtr which I drive regularly n the gearbox in that is pretty heavy which I do like n sounds like the supra boxes are similar. Just have to see which one puts the biggest smile on my face :) I spoke to torque gt and they said they would be happy with me trying both if they have them and maybe go down the import route.

I have had a UK Auto and loved it and i then bought an NA manual and also loved it. I think in twin turbo form Auto and manual both have pros and cons, as a daily Auto is lovely and the manual override holds the gears so you can still have fun. I wouldnt buy an Auto NA i just don't think it will have the power to make the Auto fun. I have now fitted a 1JZ and an LSD so I have a manual twin turbo (I know its missing a gear and a few cc lol )for the price of an Auto TT but it makes me smile and wonder why I ever left the supra scene every time i drive it :-)

You clearly haven't been sideways :D

They both have pro's and con's, I have owned both and they are as good as each other. Loads of threads on this very subject.

Its easy to go sideways in the auto when you know how Abz :) im suprised you know you to slide a car tbh, seeing as you struggle to set off in a straight line ;)

Good post, I had an NA 5 speed which I miss greatly, it was a lovely box to use daily. I have an auto now which is great and the best auto I've used bar far. But, I do prefer a manual as you feel more involved, so I hope to be 6 speed some day