The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Longer wheel studs required - Where was yours from?

supra_ufo

Can anyone who has recently bought longer wheel studs please send me a link or provide some information on where to buy? They are for the front wheels.

Length wise I am looking for around 63mm ones (I want to use a 10mm spacer). I did buy some from Demon Tweeks but they were off by a touch and are not properly going into the back of the hub for a flush finish.

I used H&R studs, it was cheaper to buy a spacer kit with studs than buy the studs on there own. They fit perfectly and are TUV approved so should be decent quality.

I think I bought them from Eurocarparts but can't be sure.

I used H&R studs, it was cheaper to buy a spacer kit with studs than buy the studs on there own. They fit perfectly and are TUV approved so should be decent quality.

I think I bought them from Eurocarparts but can't be sure.

I asked performance alloys, H&R they dont do a 10mm hub centric spacer...(even though there site says it does)

I did not ask them for studs though

Robert, do you have any photos of them?

Lol, he man!

I'll be doing my osf tonight, so I'll get a couple of pics, and upload them.

I found they got tight about half way in, but they do go

How are you holding the hub Gaz?

Did you feed the studs through and put the disc & caliper on and then tighten them whilst on the brakes?

No mate, I have a long levering bar (about 600mm), and I wedge that between two studs and the floor. This stops the hub moving, whilst pulling the new stud in

Don't bash all the studs out, do one at a time, other wise you'll have all kinds of grief trying to hold it still!

I'll get a photo this eve, when I carry on, and you'll see. Probably about half 5 ish

If you use a hammer to bash them out expect to be replacing the hub bearings very soon. The hardened steel balls will indent the bearing tracks and the bearing will soon fail. remove the hubs, press out the old ones, press in the new ones. Those studs are appalling anyway, there should be a plain shoulder all the way through the spacer and no more thread than needed to effect a clamping force. Not that spacers are a good idea in the first place.

Pulling them in with nuts will probably stretch the studs. If you need much more torque on the threads to pull them in, than is recommended for final tightening, you are over stressing the studs before you start. If you are using all the force it seems you are, God knows what stretch load is on them. If you simply MUST do it this way you need a roller thrust bearing under the nut to remove face friction, so most effort is pulling, not just turning the nut against face friction. But REALLY you should be pressing them in and out...

Here's my home method, and it works quite well.

I wouldn't say the bolts are under extreme stress, as I'm not having to use loads of force on the ratchet.

The old studs tap out really easily, I'm only tapping lightly. Best to use a bit of penetrating gear around them first - I make my own stuff up, using a 50/50 mix of acetone and power steering fluid. It's something I picked up years ago, don't ask me how it works, but it does!

uploadfromtaptalk1438104956807.jpg

Supra extended wheel stud fitment:

• 5 months later...