The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Word of warning - Ive just learnt an expensive lesson

T2 MSW

Just a word of warning for anyone looking at doing single conversions.

Ive just learned the hard way you get what you pay for when buying parts - if its cheap its cheap for a reason.

When I was looking at fuel filters I was looking at some that were £100 plus and then ones that have a changeable filter at £20. Perfect I thought ill put the cheaper one in as it filters the fuel - right?!?

Wrong!

Had a few issues with my car last weekend at Donnington and when I inspected the fuel injectors they had very fine grade material in them. Sent them off to ASNU to have the checked (who have been fantastic and amazing customer service), flow tested and attempted to clean them but they are that clogged up with sand that its collapsed the filters inside the injector into the internals and they are now beyond repair. 6 Months old and scrap.

£700 set of new injectors and now one of them £100 fuel filters. :(

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

Just added a picture to the first post. the No.4 Injector was still intact internally. One of the other injectors have been cut apart and the filter has come away from the housing allowing unfiltered fuel to pass through to the injector elements which has trashed them.

Just added a picture to the first post. the No.4 Injector was still intact internally. One of the other injectors have been cut apart and the filter has come away from the housing allowing unfiltered fuel to pass through to the injector elements which has trashed them.

I now feel awful letting you buy tea last night...!!

Chin up pal. This is why I don't "do" modifications.

H.

Does it do Ethanol?

I see no reason why not, they are from the era of mechanical metering units, and they DO NOT like any sediment through them. The element is paper. I have used them for years on various things. They are quite big, but having threaded ends means they are easy to adapt to most scenarios. That rubbish that you call sand looks typical of a degraded "rubber" liner from some hose to me.

I see no reason why not, they are from the era of mechanical metering units, and they DO NOT like any sediment through them. The element is paper. I have used them for years on various things. They are quite big, but having threaded ends means they are easy to adapt to most scenarios. That rubbish that you call sand looks typical of a degraded "rubber" liner from some hose to me.

It potentially could be if there is a line thats not Ethanol compatible but I don't see which one it could be as they were all replaced for brand new PTFE lines, Pumps are E85 ones as is the FPR.

This should all be in the fuel filter and the 100 micron one that was in it was actually pointless being there.

Im not so sure it is all sediment. Im with Chris I think one of the lines is not Ethanol compatible so unfair to blame shell for all of it.

The bits I saw in the injector housing was deffo sand though. It should have been captured by the filter not the tiny filters in the injectors :(

Now got all the parts back to put my car back together. Hopefully all goes well and I can use it at TOTB this weekend :D

Ive checked the lines post the filter and the return to the tank and they are deffo PTFE lined so can support Ethanol. Cleaned the tank out which was a pain in the arse trying to get 50 litres of fuel out of the car first.