The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange HPI report. Need ur advise

Guest alexmslv

Guest alexmslv

Hi

Founded JapTT wanted to buy. Made VehicleDataCheck @ carwatch and...

Here we go:

Vehicle on sale as Auto, but report says it is Manual :eek:

Accident Damage paragraph says:

Category C. vehicle extensivly damaged.It is repairable but insurer decided not to repair. (Record made Nov 03)

Spoke to the seller. He says that he doesn't know anything about that, he bought it in March 04. Than he put new alloys and bodykit on it, and repaint it. Also he told, that when he bought it it was in blue colour, report says Silver.

Pleeease help what to do? Was going to view it end of the week, taking mechanic with me to check it.

Why Manual? Whats going on, any ideas?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, normally I would say if the repairs of a good quality (ie even a trained body man would find it difficult to tell) and the price reflected its history I would consider it, but the fact its listed as an auto and the report say's its a manual makes me think 'Ringer' or 'cut and shut'.

If it was me, I'd walk away.

Guest alexmslv

Just had a word with Carwatch UK, they said that if you dont indicate that it is Auto on registration, it would be recorded as Manual. So it is not an issue.

But, Cat C!!! What does it mean?

Well, I presume it would be no chance to resell or p/x it in future?

Guest alexmslv
Plenty folk have already said it, and i will repeat it............walk away........take the advice mate.

I think I have to. Unless I could negotiate 50% of the asking price. But still risky...

So let me get this right...

He bought in March 04.... selling it on less than 12 months later, AFTER spending big cash on respray, bodykit and alloys.. from which he wouldn't recoup costs... ie he must be making a loss.... unless he bought it damaged and rebuilt...

Maybe I'm just a cynical bugger...

Guest alexmslv
So let me get this right...

He bought in March 04.... selling it on less than 12 months later, AFTER spending big cash on respray, bodykit and alloys.. from which he wouldn't recoup costs... ie he must be making a loss.... unless he bought it damaged and rebuilt...

Maybe I'm just a cynical bugger...

It sounds realistic

The new value of a Supra is very high....now that they are so cheap to buy surely this makes smaller accidents seem bigger to the insurance companies.

IE you have to buy the parts for a 40k car...but you only bought a 10k car. The price of fixing even minor damage is a large percentage of the total worth of the car.

So for instance you crash into the back of another car...assuming no jigging is required. the front bumper from Toyota is £1k that's a tenth if the total value of the car and the insurance companies will only repair upto about 60% total worth of damage. So it wouldn't take mach to make it CAT C?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

That's been on eBay before hasn't it? I believe it was connected with Keighley Trade Centre that time around, didn't someone come on here and introduce themselves after they had bought it?

What colour is that under the bonnet? It's not blue *or* silver.

Looks OK if you like that kind of paint but the history would be a real worry for me - only 10 minutes from home if you need a set of very untrained set of eyes to look at it with you, chances are I won't spot anything though :)

Interesting bonnet scoop.....

heres some CAT clarification

Category A salvage must be crushed with no salvageable parts and Category B will only be broken for spares. Category A & B salvage will not be allowed back on the road and an attempt to re-register the vehicle, or even to renew the road fund license on a vehicle with the same registration or chassis number, will trigger an investigation from the police. Category C salvage is a vehicle damaged with repair costs in excess of its pre-incident market value but is repairable. Category D salvage is a vehicle written off with repair costs that fall just short of its pre-incident value but is still repairable.

Guest alexmslv
That's been on eBay before hasn't it? I believe it was connected with Keighley Trade Centre that time around, didn't someone come on here and introduce themselves after they had bought it?

What colour is that under the bonnet? It's not blue *or* silver.

Looks OK if you like that kind of paint but the history would be a real worry for me - only 10 minutes from home if you need a set of very untrained set of eyes to look at it with you, chances are I won't spot anything though :)

Interesting bonnet scoop.....

I like the colour. Problem is that I was going to travel there on Sat from London, not too far but still 200 miles oneway. So I'm thinking now is it worth while to touch it at all?

"Category C applies where the salvage is repairable but the repair costs exceed the pre-accident value"

It doesn't take a great deal of damage on a Supra to make it cost more to fix than it's worth.... intercooler £1000, radiator £350, pair of headlamps £300.... and so on, soon adds up in parts alone. The fact it's cat C just indicates that someone has either picked up the salvage cheaply enough to make a profit after repair or that the person who crashed it loved the car so much that they repaired it with no consideration as to the cost.

It doesn't look like your typical "stick a kit on, spray it up and flog it" kind of car from the pictures, it's too individual and has too many little touches like the radiator clamps and engine bling.

I like the colour. Problem is that I was going to travel there on Sat from London, not too far but still 200 miles oneway. So I'm thinking now is it worth while to touch it at all?

I couldn't deal with my mates mocking me for driving a pink car but it does look stunning :) (Pink shirts are about my limit).

It's a difficult one to call - the under bonnet colour could well be a base coat for one of these flip paints, I really don't know enough to say either way, the repair doesn't look cheap though - it's not as if they have stuck a set of standard 17's on and painted it an easy colour that won't stand out.... tricky :)

Talk about fool and his money are soon parted :twak:

How many of us have got to say leave the fcuking thing alone, before you'll take the advice :banghead:

Its just not worth the grief, right from travelling 200 miles to see it, through all the problems of ownership until you have to sell it, and some other poor unfortunate comes on here and says "Strange HPI report. Need ur advise"

I'm not being hard, but if you want our advice, for fcuks sake take it when its offered. :p

Guest alexmslv

It doesn't look like your typical "stick a kit on, spray it up and flog it" kind of car from the pictures, it's too individual and has too many little touches like the radiator clamps and engine bling.

Problem is - seller told me that HE put bodykit/respray/wheels, he bought car original. And his purchase date is March 2004, and accident record date is Nov 03. (from the report I have in fron of me). So does it mean that he either bought it crashed for northing and he is lying on the phone or he just didn't know that it was after accident when he bought it?

Guest alexmslv
Talk about fool and his money are soon parted :twak:

How many of us have got to say leave the fcuking thing alone, before you'll take the advice :banghead:

Its just not worth the grief, right from travelling 200 miles to see it, through all the problems of ownership until you have to sell it, and some other poor unfortunate comes on here and says "Strange HPI report. Need ur advise"

I'm not being hard, but if you want our advice, for fcuks sake take it when its offered. :p

appriciate :)