The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question for the Auto guys.

tony tt

When I come to a stop from say 50 to 70 my gearbox isn't changing down so when I come to 0 the box is still in 4th. Only when I plant the foot it starts to hunt down into 1st. Is that normal? Im

Needing to flick it into N then D before I pull away to make sure it's in 1st. I don't recall it doing this when I was bpu and it's making me wonder if that's the reason my car ate two stock boxes as it could have been labouring so much not changing down. Goes up the gears no problem and the kick down all works as it should. Just doesn't seem to come down gears as my speed decreases. Is there a sensor that could be away that controls this? My cars controlled fully by the Syvecs. Speedo and rev counter all work too.

Thanks.

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)

No, not normal, not on my stock box anyway.

Slowing down changes the gears the slower it goes afaik

Normal none motorway driving you should have overdrive OFF anyway so you're only using 3 gears. there is a thread somewhere on supra forums that basically says planting it in 4th (overdrive) will fuck the box very quickly.

Not sure if that applies to your new boostlogic box or not

Edit - here is the thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?644998-Caring-for-the-A340-Factory-automatic-trans-built-or-stock

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

did it do it with the other boxes / always done it with the syvecs controling it, do you still have the stock auto ecu if so i would want it wired back in and the syvecs used as a piggy for any saving grace to the box

It's done it since I went single. Wasn't an issue at bpu. It's all stand alone with the Syvecs mate and IO expander so it can control the box.

HaHa WTF

I guess you mean I read your mind?

Tony

See what Ryan says it may need a little tweak or something , but when driving from 70 to a stop there is no real engine braking in D mode only in 4th , I cant say I notice the gears going down to a stop but once I have stopped , it goes straight into first.

I would expect the auto ecu would , when slowing in forth it would get to the 3000 rpm release the lock up signal and go down the gears , Thats a guess though.

how does it act when slowing from say 70 having rpm pritty low can you kick it down into 3rd or if you are cruising at 60 and floor it you should be able to get into second at around 4000 rpm ?

Mine doesn't select 1st before moving off. I'm stopped and the box still sits in 4th till I initially pull away then half way out the junction or roundabout it bumps down into 1st. The box must be over heating though every time I pull away from a stop. There's no communication between the Syvecs and the box when I decrease speed. When I was bpu under 20mph or so you could feel the box change down. Manual mode is eliminated and the overdrive button doesn't work now as the Syvecs is controlling it all apparently.

Ryan said I've to send him a log hopefully he can see the issue and fix it. It's been this way since I initially went single so with any luck it will save this BL box from going tits up.

wow pulling away in 4th , thats not good at all dude ,try not to drive it too much until ryan gets back to you , if the lock up clutch is still engauged you could destroy the torque converter in no time .

think of it this way if you had a 6 speed pulling away in 6th with 600bhp and not stalling .

does it still kick down gears correctly slowing down then going fast again does it drop to a lower gear ?

I was under the impression the Supra in D always pulls away in 2nd gear unless you floor it, in the Tiptronic you have to select L to get a first gear pull away, shame you have lost this function with the Syvecs install unless it is mapped to engage 1st rather than 2nd?

It should be blipping down the gears as you decelerate though

wow pulling away in 4th , thats not good at all dude ,try not to drive it too much until ryan gets back to you , if the lock up clutch is still engauged you could destroy the torque converter in no time .

think of it this way if you had a 6 speed pulling away in 6th with 600bhp and not stalling .

does it still kick down gears correctly slowing down then going fast again does it drop to a lower gear ?

The kick down works fine. Going up the gears isn't an issue its coming back down it doesn't happen. When I'm at a stop now I need to go into neutral first then D so it bumps into 1st. Or 2nd as Dean says I'm not entirely sure what gear engages first on normal operation.

Hopefully you've put your finger on the issue mate. A quick tweak should hopefully be all that's needed. Surprising if it's been an error with programming on the Ecu side, as it might have cost you a fair bit in auto boxes!

No, not normal, not on my stock box anyway.

Slowing down changes the gears the slower it goes afaik

Normal none motorway driving you should have overdrive OFF anyway so you're only using 3 gears. there is a thread somewhere on supra forums that basically says planting it in 4th (overdrive) will fuck the box very quickly.

Not sure if that applies to your new boostlogic box or not

Edit - here is the thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?644998-Caring-for-the-A340-Factory-automatic-trans-built-or-stock

Never seen that advice before. Pretty worrying if it's true.

I read before that the box will refuse to shift up or down if it will hurt it, so this is news to me

On my way to Geo's for the logs I tried OD off coming to a stop and it's downshifting now and pulling away in Lower gears. OD on and it holds 4th till I pull away then hunts down. I was told OD didn't function as it was on the Syvecs now. I'm surprised to say the least. I'll get logs to Ryan but surely if it's in D it should still change down whither OD is on or off??

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)