The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with fitting new wheels - Spacers!

SupraP-Z

Right so i managed to bag myself a nice set of shiny wheels (Thanks TKDDAV3 :thumbs:) Problem is they wont fit without using spacers. After measuring up, im going to be needing 25mm spacers to clear the brakes and have the stance i want.

The spacers i have at the moment go on fine on their own, but the original wheel studs protrude out past the face of the spacer, so the wheel does not sit flat. I have two options, shorter wheel studs, or a bigger spacer.

So looking at these pics tells me these spacers arent hubcentric.

This is where i am lost.

I want 25mm hubcentric spacers for the supra, but im not entirely sure about the technical side of it.

I have measured the centrebore of the rim where it sits on the hub, and the inside diameter is 70mm. Ive read supra centre bore is 60.1?

What spacer do i need to order, what size centrebore etc? :(

Any help is appreciated - Thanks

I knew this was coming lol. I'd rather not use spacers at all, but they are nice wheels and this is the only way i can get them on to clear the brakes and the original wheel studs too.

Also those non hubcentric spacers were not used at all, just came with incase they were needed.

Any help with the centre bore thingibob? Do i just have to get a supra specific fitment or a fitment for the wheel itself?

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

I ran non hubscentrics for around 5yrs no problems at all, obviously if your buying new hubscentrics it cant hurt to have the extra lip

If you think going with a slightly bugger spacer will allow the studs to be within the spacer and wheel to sit flat then thats the way to go, shorter studs will be a pain to do 5mm extra poke shouldnt make much difference

I ran non hubscentrics for around 5yrs no problems at all, obviously if your buying new hubscentrics it cant hurt to have the extra lip

If you think going with a slightly bugger spacer will allow the studs to be within the spacer and wheel to sit flat then thats the way to go, shorter studs will be a pain to do 5mm extra poke shouldnt make much difference

I think ill go with the hubcentric dude, just peace of mind knowing not all 4 wheels will be sitting on just the studs. Ive measured and i have 27mm clearance for the wheels to sit nice and flush, well...the tyre, the rim sticks out very slightly - nice stance though. So 25mm spacers are perfect.

So buying spacers, do i need to get 60.1mm centrebore spacers?

Then to fit my wheels on would i need spigot rings from 70mm down to 60.1mm?

The Supra hub spigot is 60.1mm diameter and you say your wheel center bore 70mm (double check this, 70.1mm is a popular aftermarket wheel size), I doubt you'll be able to get off the shelf spacers in these sizes. What you'll probably need to do is buy, 25mm spaces, (PCD 5x114.3, M12 x 1,5, centre bore 60.1mm) these will fit snugly over the Supra hub spigot, you'll then need 60.1mm/70(.1)mm spigot rings between the spacer and the wheels.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Bang on the money Nic, thats exactly what i was thinking id need. Now to find these spigot rings in aluminium is proving to be a problem! Found them in plastic ok...any ideas?

70.1 to 60.1 Aluminium Spigot rings is the requirement

Thanks Nic :thumbs:

As Nic said above is the size what your after. I'm using some 15mm hubcentric spacers but with the extended ARP wheel studs. I personally never liked the method of bolting the spacer to the hub then the wheel to the spacer, hence why I went down the other route.

Obviously that personal preference as I'm sure many who use the bolt on spacers will say they have never had a problem.

Bang on the money Nic, thats exactly what i was thinking id need. Now to find these spigot rings in aluminium is proving to be a problem! Found them in plastic ok...any ideas?

70.1 to 60.1 Aluminium Spigot rings is the requirement

Thanks Nic :thumbs:

I bought my aluminium spigot rings (different size to yours) from this Ebay seller, might be worth contacting them to see if they can do them in the sizes you need.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SPIGOT-RINGS-NUTS-n-BOLTS-CENTRE-UK

The spigot rings will not help the wheel sit against the spacer due to the studs.

It will simply make your non hub centric spacers hub centric.

Some wheels have cut outs on the back so the protruding stud won't be an issue. If yours don't the only way is shorter studs or bigger spacer.

Edit sorry just seen the rest of the post (damn phone) as nic said you need two spigot rings one either aide as the centre bore is too large.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I bought my aluminium spigot rings (different size to yours) from this Ebay seller, might be worth contacting them to see if they can do them in the sizes you need.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SPIGOT-RINGS-NUTS-n-BOLTS-CENTRE-UK

I actually saw this link on another thread, ive had a look...but no luck, will shoot them an email though :)

The spigot rings will not help the wheel sit against the spacer due to the studs.

It will simply make your non hub centric spacers hub centric.

Some wheels have cut outs on the back so the protruding stud won't be an issue. If yours don't the only way is shorter studs or bigger spacer.

Edit sorry just seen the rest of the post (damn phone) as nic said you need two spigot rings one either aide as the centre bore is too large.

The cutouts fouled on one stud on every single wheel, so it didnt sit flat. haha, this is why pc's should be carried around at all times! Allow all this smart phone business :p

As Nic said above is the size what your after. I'm using some 15mm hubcentric spacers but with the extended ARP wheel studs. I personally never liked the method of bolting the spacer to the hub then the wheel to the spacer, hence why I went down the other route.

Obviously that personal preference as I'm sure many who use the bolt on spacers will say they have never had a problem.

I actually would have preferred to do it this way (i probably will when i get the chance) but how the hell do you get longer studs through the backplate?!