The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T kits

Acton

I'm looking to go NA-T on my '93 j-spec auto NA.

I've done a fair amount of google-ing and have so far found the XSpower kit which seems to have a 50-50% split opinion on it being good. I haven't found anyone reviewing the whifbitz NA-T kit.

I'm just after some reviews on what people are running and their experiences with it. Also if people have made up their own kits, what parts are generally good to use?

Most people that slate the XS Power kits are people who have no experience with them, their opinions are just based on the price of the kit

There been many people use the kits on here (myself included on my previous supra), and is a hugely popular choice in the states, and they are well known for working fine

If you go for XS Power, use the turbo, manifold and downpipe and source the rest of the parts yourself, the wastegates are crap, the oil lines are crap too, downpipe will likely need a slight tweek to fit

Whifbitz kits are what they are, quality using well known branded parts and are built to fit absolutely perfect with reliability in mind

If you want a fit and forget using the best available parts then Whifbitz kit is for you

If you dont mind tweeking things a little to fit, sourcing other parts yourself then go for xs power

My opinion is based on me running 17psi on my old na-t, i dont know how many have pushed xs power turbos beyond that but i imagine if your talking about maxxing it out then it might be a different story with reliability

Edited by berg (see edit history)

My 2p's worth is go out to a couple of meets and have a talk to members who have been there and done it. I'm looking to go NA-t still and am struggling with the options.

-XS there really is mixed reviews some love them and others have had issues some bad other minor. As said allot of the small parts to the kit you need to bin a buy decent so account for that when pricing up.

-Wifbitz quality parts from a know trader, no question about the parts quality, but still requires tweaks not just a bolt on. And account for a few extra bits along the way.

-Dr jekyll seem to produce to great performing cars for cheap, again unbranded parts unless requested other wise. I'm yet to talk to a member who has personally had a car built by craig.

-Iv approached SRD and was told to budget the same as single on a TT, so around 10k-15k. This would be using parts they know, with lots of custom bits as they don't do na-t's.

All I will say is I have heard of at least two other places that are looking to dive into this market so maybe hold your pennies and see what materialises over the next 6 months, that's what I'm doing.

And one last thing unless you have pumped serious money into yours already, I would just buy a TT now before the prices shoot up any more.

I haven't built mine yet but have accumulated all the parts which can be seen in my progress thread.

As said on the XS power, you only want the turbo, downpipes and manifold.

I emailed them directly, they did me a special offer and it was stupidly cheap.

Rob_sri on here is running an xspower turbo, manifold and downpipes with great results and rich.2211 ran one at some stage with his NA-t build Supra.

Both of their threads would be a good place to read through regarding xspower.

Josh42 is another one, he's primarily used a whifbitz kit iirc but is constantly making changes to his build.

I've been running a XS-power turbo for a few years now and no problems so far.

Just to be fair though I better mention my car isn't a daily driver so the mileage won't be high in those years.

Also I only run a low boost of 7.5psi and I don't bounce it off the rev limiter very often, although it does 'get used';)

My build thread is in my signature if it helps and feel free to pm or ask if your not sure of anything and I'll do my best to help

Really astounding nobody has actually made a well priced reliable na-t kit in 20 years.

Baffles belief to be honest. Really does.

The Whifbitz kit is well priced when you consider that it uses top quality components.

- - - Updated - - -

Powerhouse racing make an NA-T kit (not sure if they still do), but by the time you pay import duty it probably isn't any cheaper than the Whifbitz one.

I've been running a XS-power turbo for a few years now and no problems so far.

Just to be fair though I better mention my car isn't a daily driver so the mileage won't be high in those years.

Also I only run a low boost of 7.5psi and I don't bounce it off the rev limiter very often, although it does 'get used';)

My build thread is in my signature if it helps and feel free to pm or ask if your not sure of anything and I'll do my best to help

I had a read earlier, which is what promted to ask the question. In the hope that those like yourself would be able to give first hand experience/ advice :) as I noticed you'd used parts of a kit but added other parts to it

I did mate, yes. The turbo was one of the few things that was bought new, most other parts were second hand but never used, like the wastegate, emanage etc.

I didn't rush it though, luckily I had a spare engine to build it up on in my garage.

I've never looked back, best thing I done to my car:d

I did mate, yes. The turbo was one of the few things that was bought new, most other parts were second hand but never used, like the wastegate, emanage etc.

I didn't rush it though, luckily I had a spare engine to build it up on in my garage.

I've never looked back, best thing I done to my car:d

It's easy to see, it looks really well planned and thought out.

dr_jekyll on here offers a drive in, drive out NA-T conversion service. He uses mostly the XS Power kits with a few bits replaced here and there as he knows what bits tend to fail on them.

Don't quote me on the price but I'm sure it was around the £2k mark. There's a thread on here somewhere that I'll have a look for

dr_jekyll on here offers a drive in, drive out NA-T conversion service. He uses mostly the XS Power kits with a few bits replaced here and there as he knows what bits tend to fail on them.

Don't quote me on the price but I'm sure it was around the £2k mark. There's a thread on here somewhere that I'll have a look for

Awesome, thank you! I notice in your sig it mentions the Whifbitz NA-T. Are you currently running that? If so, how do you find it, and it it cost you more than you expected?

Do you have a ballpark figure of what it's cost you to do? If you don't mind me asking...

That a million dollar question lol.

I do think you could 'do' it for under £2000 but if dr_jekyll is doing a drive in drive out for this thats a great deal as I believe he's spot on and did help me in my build with advise that was always spot on. I'm pretty certain I spent more (I have genuinely never bothered to add it up as I don't care/want to know;)) but I did do stuff so it was pretty, and that all adds up.

Another ting worth considering is the XS turbos are basic. A well matched Garrett, Precision or Borgwarner turbo will perform much better. But it will obviously add to the cost.

:yeahthat:

The turbo is a large proportion of the cost of any turbo kit, with turbos you do get what you pay for in terms of performance, reliability and serviceability. On a budget I'd be looking at piecing my own kit together with a 2nd hand branded turbo and wastegate (another costly part), new cast manifold (eg. Treadstone), decent quality oil/water lines and then maybe use cheaper Chinese made pipework or get the pipework fabricated by a tame local welder.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Definitely give Dr Jekyll a message, Some of the na t conversions I've seen on his Facebook and sold on here have been amazing. If you want value for money he's your man

Awesome, thank you! I notice in your sig it mentions the Whifbitz NA-T. Are you currently running that? If so, how do you find it, and it it cost you more than you expected?

I've just had the build installed and the car is booked in to be mapped at the beginning of next month. I'm hoping it will go well as I've tried not to cut corners too much and built it up over time instead of the cheaper option.

In my experience, some cheaper options will require extra hours of labour to bring you up to the total price of fitting a better quality item. For example, I bought an intercooler and bunch of universal piping. The garage took ages to fit it due to custom work and the total came to what you'd pay for a bolt on piece.

Every experience is different. I'd hate to add up what I've paid so far in parts, labour and stumbled hurdles. A hell of a lot more than a Dr_Jekyll kit that's for sure :D

That a million dollar question lol.

I have genuinely never bothered to add it up as I don't care/want to know;))

It's probably safer not knowing! :p

:yeahthat:

The turbo is a large proportion of the cost of any turbo kit, with turbos you do get what you pay for in terms of performance, reliability and serviceability. On a budget I'd be looking at piecing my own kit together with a 2nd hand branded turbo and wastegate (another costly part), new cast manifold (eg. Treadstone), decent quality oil/water lines and then maybe use cheaper Chinese made pipework or get the pipework fabricated by a tame local welder.

So does XS produce it's own turbo then? I just assumed they used a branded turbo and fabbed their own manifolds etc. Didn't realise they also made the turbo!

Definitely give Dr Jekyll a message, Some of the na t conversions I've seen on his Facebook and sold on here have been amazing. If you want value for money he's your man

I may well do that! I have family in Cardiff, so can always use it as an excuse to go up :p

I've just had the build installed and the car is booked in to be mapped at the beginning of next month. I'm hoping it will go well as I've tried not to cut corners too much and built it up over time instead of the cheaper option.

In my experience, some cheaper options will require extra hours of labour to bring you up to the total price of fitting a better quality item. For example, I bought an intercooler and bunch of universal piping. The garage took ages to fit it due to custom work and the total came to what you'd pay for a bolt on piece.

Every experience is different. I'd hate to add up what I've paid so far in parts, labour and stumbled hurdles. A hell of a lot more than a Dr_Jekyll kit that's for sure :D

Yeah that makes sense. This is the first time attempting to turbo a car, so i'm just a bit dubious to start buying up parts that end up being wrong/ don't fit. Which is why i was looking at kits. I guess in theory i can always go the kit route, then over time upgrade the parts as and when.

So does XS produce it's own turbo then? I just assumed they used a branded turbo and fabbed their own manifolds etc. Didn't realise they also made the turbo!

I doubt they make any of the kit, it will all be made in China by one of the companies in this link and then rebranded.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150716034621&SearchText=turbo+2jzge