The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thermal intake gaskets

baldy

I dont know if there any actual performance gains but they do drop the temp of the intake manifold, So that inturn stops the heat soak of the IAT sensor so then gives a true reading of actual intake temp , How much that affects the ecu tune I dont have a clue

I have them fitted on my car. No idea what benefit they give but it appears quite a few well respected engine tuners and manufacturers use them. Like most tuning things, maybe the benefit is very slight. But every little helps I suppose.

I know Cosworth use them.

I fitted one to try and fix my warm start problems. It didn't fix the issue but even after warming the car up fully and leaving it for 5 mins with the bonnet closed after switching off, the fuel rail could still be touched by hand. Previously you could fry an egg on it. It stops the heat soak for sure, whether that helps with anything else though is another matter. I didn't get it for some touted performance gain :)

Google laminar air flow. Then you will save me hours of typing yet understand why they help heat soak, but make sod all difference once the engine has run from hot shut down for a few seconds.

Same for lagging intake pipes. Do you see Le Mans cars or F1 cars with lagged intake piping? Maybe they can't afford to do it.... ;)