The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boring mpg thread - 300 miles on half a tank?

gordy.r

Yes!

I'm not normally one who cares what mpg my Supra gets, because as I see it, you don't buy a car like these to count beans, you drive and enjoy them...

Anyways, I normally chuck around £30 every time I get down to 1/4 of a tank, and that will last me 100 miles or so if I'm lucky.

But on the way back from the Summer BBQ today, I looked down as I was sure I was due a top up after wedging the tank a few miles from Wroxall Abbey and low and behold I seen this:

uploadfromtaptalk1436738551167.jpg

Yep, that's 278 miles on just over half a tank!!!

My greatest achievement up until now was maybe 300 miles to a full tank, but this was epic!

I'd been sat at 70mph most of the way up and only had a few lead footed moments off junctions and down slip roads, so I was well happy with this.

Needless to say, I knew I'd never see another 278 miles out of the second half of the tank so I gave in to my temptations and finished the other half off reasonably quickly with some spirited driving! :)

Not wanting to start a thread about who gets what, and what speeds best for consumption etc, just wanted to share this rare feat that I achieved lol.

P.S. I know it says 'km' on the speedo, but it counts up in miles.

Did you convert yours to mph ? Need to do mine brought a mph speedo a while back was told I could just plug it in and it would change it not the case wen I'm doing 50 it says I'm doing about 90 lol. Did not think it would be that easy

Did you convert yours to mph ? Need to do mine brought a mph speedo a while back was told I could just plug it in and it would change it not the case wen I'm doing 50 it says I'm doing about 90 lol. Did not think it would be that easy

It was converted when I bought it so I'm not too sure how it works etc.

I'm sure someone will be able to advise you better though.

Are you sure it counts up in miles :)

Or does your car have a 80 litre tank like the UK specs have. This would pull the mpg down to say around 31.

I've had that out of my car before on a long sensible cruise.

Edited as I forgot the uk tank was 80 and j spec 70

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ok so BPU twin turbo vvti getting 50-55miles for £20... Think I'll change my o2 sensors!

It really depends how your driving the 50 miles and what kind of driving it is, stop start local driving is never going to get you

into the mid to high 20's

I have been making the 431mile journey from my home address here in County Durham down to Pentewan (St Austell) every year since 2008.

Over that time i have used 3 Supras to do the trek to which I got the following.

(1st car)1994 N/A SZ Auto with Failside wing,stock skirts,RMM Lip,vented carbon Top Secret Bonnet,cast 18inch wolf race wheels,and a cat back exhaust. This car was in excellent running order although filled with 95 octane I managed to do the trip one way but was running on fumes by my arrival IE: sitting on the top of the E symbol on the fuel gauge.

(2nd car) 1994 N/A SZ Auto Stock body with Stock spats,17 cast wheels,cat back exhaust,HKS mushroom heat soaked induction and again 95 octane peasant fuel. The theory behind this is that the car didn't have loads of heavy silly aftermarket body parts and large heavy cast wheels etc so in theory should have got more MPG on a good run due to less drag however this car took a full tank and about £20 additional fuel one way...

(3rd Car) 1998 VVTI Tiptronic TT RZ-S, Stock body,cast 18 wheels,leather interior,Full BPU+,Fully laden Wakeboard en all haha.

This car on Tesco 99 Octane made it down with a quarter of a tank remaining with a few squirts of WOT..

There are many factors additional to that I have listed that may effect MPG IE: ambient temprature,traffic levels etc but all three of these cars performed vastly differently.

Those of you that know me probably won't be surprised by these MPG figures as you know I drive like I'm in a funeral procession.

I have never changed an O2 sensor yet but I have removed them from all three cars and used the lemon juice method to clean them :)

Things I do are check the tyre pressures on a regular basis on any car I own.

On an older mkiv i'd be checking to see if i'd got any brake calipers that are sticking/seizing.

It's easily done after you've been for a drive by placing the back of your hand up close to the wheel

and seeing if any of the wheels feel obviously hotter than the others.

I had a rear caliper on my UK spec start to seize and you couldn't really tell when driving the car

but it started to affect the mpg.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

i get 160 miles a tank :-( 210 miles if its motorway driving.

Wish i got 300 miles a tank let alone 1/2 lol.

Even I was BPU i never got that good millage. Or even when it was stock coming back from Newcastle..

Thats like diesel car lol...

Id double check that the speed converter is wired in with the odo meter. Its a pink wire also a blue wire with an orange stripe iirc

If it is genuine miles.. Thats amazing.. And you should share your secret :D

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

i get 160 miles a tank :-( 210 miles if its motorway driving.

Wish i got 300 miles a tank let alone 1/2 lol.

Even I was BPU i never got that good millage. Thats like diesel car lol...

Id double check that the speed converter is wired in with the odo meter. Its a pink wire also a blue wire with an orange stripe iirc

The joys of single. Smiles per gallon :)