The mkiv Supra Owners Club

320 WHP single 6 speed on 0.9 bar

nihontoman

Went to a local tuner who has a VERY conservative Mustang Dyno to check what the car can do as it came from japan. turned out, HKS V pro "promised" in the auction sheet wasn't to be found anywhere on the car. It basically runs on stock ecu with HKS "alphabet soup".

Engine Type - Single

Engine Spec - Stock J-spec with 3 additional 550cc injectors in the intake

Turbo - garret ta45 with t04s turbine and small compressor wheel (not sure which)

Fuel Used - Lukoil 98

Exhaust - some narrowish downpipe (will be soon changed to a 4" one) with ab-flug 4 inch cat-back exhaust.

Transmission - v160

ECU - Stock with HKS AIC/EVC (auction said V pro. Alas, it turned out to be LIE)

Mapped By - Dunno. stock ecu should not be "mappable?"

Dyno Used - Mustang Dyno.

Power figure - 320 WHP

Torque figure - (don't remember, will add when the guy at the shop sends me the printout)

Boost Pressure - 0.9 Bar

Will upload my dyno graph as soon as the tuner sends it to me. will just upload YouTube vid for the run for now:

[video=youtube;xK-iMo1bQpQ]

your thoughts? the turbo turned out smaller than I thought, but the tuner said we could easily get some 500 horses at the wheels, though I would need:

new injectors instead of stock 440c ones with fuel rail; a standalone or at least a piggyback; New Downpipe. will think about this, but it will come at about 2000$ which is kinda high-ish at the moment... also want to know if the setup as is can be used till I save up some money :D

Also tried to run the car on 1.3 bar boost with additional injectors turned on. Well, turned out my sparkplugs can't handle more fuel :D :

it became VERY rich at about 4000 rpm. he said I should change to new spark plugs - 0.7-0.8mm iridiums from NGK (or something along the lines). what are your thoughts?

Edited by nihontoman (see edit history)

oook, I really need some ideas here cause people in other threads are saying this kind of power is low even for a simple BPU supra and it is making me worry :/ could this be a problem of not so wide downpipe - around 2.5-3 inches? Or maybe good spark plugs could give me even more power at the same pressure?

• 3 months later...

You'll be going rich at 4000rpm+ because the injectors will be open 100% of the time once the stock ECU sees 1bar+ of boost. You don't need better spark plugs, you need the right amount of fuel. An AIC is an awful fuelling solution that's a couple of decades out of date. Any money spent from now on would reap the most benefits by going onto an ECU that can handle higher boost, different injectors, and a completely different boost curve to stock :) Personally I'd go E-Manage for best bangs-per-buck at this level of power, some drop-in 650cc injectors and chuck the AIC junk in the bin :)

• 2 weeks later...
You'll be going rich at 4000rpm+ because the injectors will be open 100% of the time once the stock ECU sees 1bar+ of boost. You don't need better spark plugs, you need the right amount of fuel. An AIC is an awful fuelling solution that's a couple of decades out of date. Any money spent from now on would reap the most benefits by going onto an ECU that can handle higher boost, different injectors, and a completely different boost curve to stock :) Personally I'd go E-Manage for best bangs-per-buck at this level of power, some drop-in 650cc injectors and chuck the AIC junk in the bin :)

thanks for the suggestion. Will be doing just that after it comes back from the bodyshop...

Let us know how you get on after making the changes. :thumbs:

will do :)

If its was misfiring I change the plugs but I assume it didn't so I wouldn't worry about it.

I never experience HKS AIC/EVC, but from the sounds of things I would take what Ian's suggestion. Get a new ECU and go from there, and a new map sensor.

actually, the tuner also suggested to bin the AIC system, he said it is old school in a bad way and bit too crude for safe performance. Just got Tein Flex Z Coilovers as the old HKS leaked (3 out of four) and no one here wants to rebuild them, plus the shipping cost to japan and back and the refurbishment cost is higher than a new set of Teins shipped to me :D I'm also in a process of doing some maintenance work on the body (have it respraied at the bodyshop). I'll get some things sorted out, change the fluids and such and then start the standalone ecu/better fuelling thing...