The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RANT: Nengun performance

j_jza80

Several months ago I bought a HKS SLD II Speed delimiter for my tiptronic TT from Nengun Performance in Japan. I used Nengun because I had been recommended them by several people, and they offered a good price and promised quick delivery. At no point during the transaction was I advised that it had to be installed by a HKS certified installer for my warranty to be valid. Also, they do not provide English instructions with it. Thankfully I have been installing in car electronics for a long time now, I am BMI certified through an old job, and know my way perfectly well around wiring diagrams.

Nengun are refusing to honour the warranty because they want to see my " licensed qualifications that you are certified to install HKS electronic parts". If I had bought the unit from a UK supplier, they would have been obliged by UK trading law to exchange the SLD for a working one.

There's not really much I can do about it, but my experience with this and seeing the nightmare that Jezz has had with MVP will make me VERY wary about buying parts from foreign suppliers now, even if the prices are a bit better.

J, can you not contact HKS directly? perhaps Leep can help as a HKS dealer?

I've tried, and don't get a response. It wouldn't be fair to involve a trader who has nothing to do with the transaction. :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is why its best to buy HKS parts from a UK dealer that come through HKS Europe

Although you pay a little more You then have full support and back up if needed.

:thumbs: And I normally do, I only went with Nengun because I'd heard a lot of good things about them. I won't make that mistake again.

Personally this would make me doubt the durability of their product, if installation was either so complex or the product so fragile as to state such rediculous stipulations.

Truthfully it seems nothing more than captive market extortion and trying their very best to avoid liability for faulty products.

Sorry a little off subject and rant like. I'll stop now and wish you all the best in getting something out of HKS.

Sorry a little off subject and rant like. I'll stop now and wish you all the best in getting something out of HKS.

Not at all. :)

I have accepted that basically I have lost £120, and will just put it down to experience. I won't buy ANY tuning parts from foreign dealers again, and I hope my experience makes others think twice about doing so too.