The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lag

JackyBoi

I know, I know. Before I even bought the GT2835 kit I was warned of how laggy they are etc, and it has never bothered me before. I've always loved how they sound, how they come online and how I can outrun most cars on the road :D but until very recently it's started to bug me a tiny bit. Sometime's it's nice to put your foot down and have power much, much quicker. I don't know. Is it just me, or is this the precise reason why most people go single turbo?

What kind of spool rate are you guys out there getting with single turbos, big or small, and what kind of power is the car putting down? As you can see, I don't see full boost until 5500rpm

1.5 bar boost.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nicholas

full boost by 5500rpm? blimey thats not good at all. I make full boost by 5000rpm and thats on an 88mm turbo. I'd bin the 1990 twins and get a decent small single.

HKS twins are laggy, its a fact. As you said you were warned :D

Single turbo setups are more responsive, Especially the new Precision units. I'd guestimate on the 6466 we have it makes full boost 3500-3800rpm. Jamie P 6266 is very responsive also. Think he makes full boost at 2800rpm in 6th gear.

Unfortunately its just something you'll have to deal with, unless you go single turbo.

The big twin setup does look and sound awesome though :).

HKS twins are laggy, its a fact. As you said you were warned :D

Single turbo setups are more responsive, Especially the new Precision units. I'd guestimate on the 6466 we have it makes full boost 3500-3800rpm. Jamie P 6266 is very responsive also. Think he makes full boost at 2800rpm in 6th gear.

Unfortunately its just something you'll have to deal with, unless you go single turbo.

The big twin setup does look and sound awesome though :).

Here is our dyno graph, bearing in mind we are auto with a 3600rpm hi stall, spools around 500rpm quicker on the road.

full boost by 5500rpm? blimey thats not good at all. I make full boost by 5000rpm and thats on an 88mm turbo. I'd bin the 1990 twins and get a decent small single.

Not gonna lie that may be a good plan for the future

Isn't twin usually gradual power increase over the power band, where as single is like a bit hit of power at say 3500-4000 revs?

But with the new gens come online much quicker :)

These run in parallel and is like a bit hit of power, only way up at 5500 revs

Here is our dyno graph, bearing in mind we are auto with a 3600rpm hi stall, spools around 500rpm quicker on the road.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/06/47787480cec81a26d3c48333a1ef74e3.jpg

I'd love to have a spool rate like that, lots of people have a 6466 and I've never heard bad things about them. What kind of power can they achieve before maxing out?

Not gonna lie that may be a good plan for the future

These run in parallel and is like a bit hit of power, only way up at 5500 revs

I'd love to have a spool rate like that, lots of people have a 6466 and I've never heard bad things about them. What kind of power can they achieve before maxing out?

They are rated to 900bhp which is alot for a small 64mm turbo, even the little 6266 is good for 800bhp.

- - - Updated - - -

A gen 2 6466 is rated to 900 horsepower and the 6266 is 800.

Didnt see you comment, atleast you quoted it correct ;)

Doing well in your old age!

Sorry to go of topic mate but Why do you have Srd 700 sticker when you only made 661bhp ?

Being an auto you cant get a 100% accurate figure, also we have the hi stall which makes it harder.

Lee said its a 700bhp car when he road tested it, so he made some stickers up for us.

With the upgrades we are planning it will be even more.

We will ;)

Lees kits are very good I mean look at James he made over 700 on a journal and with your decrease in bhp because of it being an auto I think you lose 10-20% as I'll be using the same place as you did, I'm hoping to hit the 600 mark which I'll be happy with,

Getting back on topic I'd sell the twins and get an Srd kit it would be well worth it mate and not cost much more

Lees kits are very good I mean look at James he made over 700 on a journal and with your decrease in bhp because of it being an auto I think you lose 10-20% as I'll be using the same place as you did, I'm hoping to hit the 600 mark which I'll be happy with,

Getting back on topic I'd sell the twins and get an Srd kit it would be well worth it mate and not cost much more

Journal Gen 1 6266 ....!

Technically we haven't raced yet I only raced you when I was running 0.5 bar and you was running 1.45 bar plus you only had me by a fender my friend lol

Technically we have raced! Winnings winning! weather its an inch or a mile. You gave it the 3 horn push start, i was quiet happy cruising.

Now put your dummy back in:D

Can't you 'just' swap the turbos for something newer? Something with a DBB core and preferable billet wheels.

I was always lead to believe that twins were potentially capable of spooling quicker and flowing more than a single, all other things being equal.

Mmmm ok hope you get there mate ;)

Lee the dyno only prints a manual adjustment so the one you see is +10% on a whp of 600 so when you adjust approx 15% for auto you are as near as damm 700

You will get the same when you do yours hp will be showing manual and you will need to adjust as that's the trouble with autos on a dyno you will never get a proper hp readout

Lee the dyno only prints a manual adjustment so the one you see is +10% on a whp of 600 so when you adjust approx 15% for auto you are as near as damm 700

You will get the same when you do yours hp will be showing manual and you will need to adjust as that's the trouble with autos on a dyno you will never get a proper hp readout

Yer that basically what I just said lol but you say it much better than me lol

What a truly dreadful power curve for a road car! Years and years ago someone on the forum had an HKS twin turbo kit on a really nice Supra, and he asked me to drive it on some airfield track day. I forget where it was, but long straights. It was, even in that environment, just so laggy as to be hopeless. On the road? Waste of time, a small single, even stock sequentials, would leave it for dead on a country road.

Can't you 'just' swap the turbos for something newer? Something with a DBB core and preferable billet wheels.

I was always lead to believe that twins were potentially capable of spooling quicker and flowing more than a single, all other things being equal.

Sure I could, I'd just have to sell the twins and buy another kit for around the same money. But I still love the twins, just wanting quicker spool :(

What a truly dreadful power curve for a road car! Years and years ago someone on the forum had an HKS twin turbo kit on a really nice Supra, and he asked me to drive it on some airfield track day. I forget where it was, but long straights. It was, even in that environment, just so laggy as to be hopeless. On the road? Waste of time, a small single, even stock sequentials, would leave it for dead on a country road.

Haha. Thanks ;) don't get me wrong it is very fast when it comes online, I mean it is 600hp, it just takes a bit too long to get there. Especially in the street

I mean can't you just buy new turbos, and keep the manifolds etc? You might have to alter the downpipes, intakes etc a little. But the HKS turbos were generally based on Garrett units, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

am assuming though that the issues are being caused by an ancient turbo design.

I mean can't you just buy new turbos, and keep the manifolds etc? You might have to alter the downpipes, intakes etc a little. But the HKS turbos were generally based on Garrett units, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

am assuming though that the issues are being caused by an ancient turbo design.

This might help a little

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/webadviser

Maybe a GT2252 or something along those lines ?