The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are these coil packs any good

mclarenross

Hi guys,

ive been told I've got a misfire at higher revs and I should change my 23 year old coil packs.

Has anyone ever used these ones before...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121694894216?nav=SEARCH

or these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121438272335?nav=SEARCH

i don't really want to have to fork out a small fortune for oem.

Just positive and negative experiences if you have used either of the two products.

Ill be running c450 bhp on a single.

Thanks

Not used either but from experience and from loads of guys running singles and aftermarket coil packs it seems the OEM are the best.

You'll see a few threads on the forum where people had misfire issues like you and then were solved with replacing the CP's with OEM's.

Isn't there a way of checking the coil packs using a multi meter ?

You could only check for the impedance of the primary and secondary windings by comparing the coil resistance against a known good one. If one of the windings were at fault you would most likely know anyhow unless it was just a case of a few shorted turns on the secondary winding, most likely you wouldn't have a spark on that one anyhow. You wouldn't be able to check for things like insulation breakdown between windings really, I guess you could use a Mega style tester for this but even then its not going to provide any really useful info. It's normally the external insulation that breaks down and causes problems, and this is often visible.

Have a look at your ones, if the housings are cracked(common problem) then they`re due for replacing.
Absolutely, in particular, take the silicon boot off and look under a magnifying glass in good light for tiny little hairline cracks at the very tip of the coil pack. These are the ones that will really cause you issue, more so than the large visible cracks that appear around the screw fixing holes on the top.