The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good day or not at the track?

Dave Carroll

Well, yesterday was the second track day for the supra, so thought I woyld report back on the progress!

changes from the last day out... well not much. Added the boost controller to run 1.2 bar rather than 0.9 and set my tyre pressures to 30psi rear and 26 front.

well I was pleasantly surprised!

Beat that evo 4 :D Full second per lap quicker!

and was a full 3 seconds per lap quicker than an audi rs4 running 550bhp at the crank.

only a fireblade powered westfield style car beat me.

so on this basis I would say a good day!

however... she is now burning oil, and I am almost certain it is the piston rings now...

waiting anxiously for the trip to whifbitz next week to get the diagnostics and the next steps...

Sounds like a good day out to me, apart from the burning oil bit, whats the symptoms? on lift off? etc, also what track did you go to.

Blyton sprint circuit (outer circuit) was the track. First time there, a better circuit than I though.

idea is to get at least one serious day at donnington or oulton park this year... but only if I can get her running without burning oil again.

symptoms:

-lift off, then touch the throttle and it chucks smoke out

- idle after driving at low rpm

-no oil burning on motorway or high rpm driving around track (no smoke during my runs round track)

- no smoke when I started from cold yesterday morning

Darren will have it at whifbitz next Monday so I am hopig its not too expensive to repair back to current spec for now... I dont have 7k for the full engine build I would like to get done while its apart :(

Blyton sprint circuit (outer circuit) was the track. First time there, a better circuit than I though.

idea is to get at least one serious day at donnington or oulton park this year... but only if I can get her running without burning oil again.

symptoms:

-lift off, then touch the throttle and it chucks smoke out

- idle after driving at low rpm

-no oil burning on motorway or high rpm driving around track (no smoke during my runs round track)

- no smoke when I started from cold yesterday morning

Darren will have it at whifbitz next Monday so I am hopig its not too expensive to repair back to current spec for now... I dont have 7k for the full engine build I would like to get done while its apart :(

Sounds like the turbos oil seals to me, the extra boost has has killed 'um!

Bpu on stock twins yeah?

The Westfields rule that track, bhp don't really come in to it. It's so tight! More suited to bikes IMO, I've had the supra on there and the bike.

have to agree on the westfields ruling. I was a full 5 seconds behind it. But I was happy to takr that. The target was the evo and the rs4. I was surprised the rs4 was so far behind though

Sounds like the turbos oil seals to me, the extra boost has has killed 'um!

Bpu on stock twins yeah?

Spot on. Bpu on stock j spec twins... at a full 23 yrs of age.

I would have guessed the turbos would burn all the time though right?

and if anything should have been the second turbo to have gone and it only burns at lower rpm?

Symptoms are exactly the same as mine (and others), mine were fine until I went bpu and raised it!

It was at junctions, traffic jams, traffic lights, coasting at real low speeds, oily smoke starts pouring!

Swapped them with whifbitz hybrids and all is good again :-)

Symptoms are exactly the same as mine (and others), mine were fine until I went bpu and raised it!

It was at junctions, traffic jams, traffic lights, coasting at real low speeds, oily smoke starts pouring!

Swapped them with whifbitz hybrids and all is good again :-)

If it is the turbos it was only to be expected with the age to be honest

how do you find the response of the hybrids compared to the stock j specs?

my eventual plan is upgrade power to say 6 to 700bhp but with the aim of maximizing response rather than all out power.

I dont think I want to shell out for an expensive turbo kit just yet so if the hybrids are good I may go that route

I'd say the have a slightly better response. I've just ran them the same as the stocks, 95% of the time on a lower boost setting also.

They still cost 2k+ once fitted. That broke my heart considering nothing has changed really haha.

Oil is cheap compared to new turbos, and it does sound like a turbo seal issue. I would just take a couple of gallons of oil with you and run them as they are! Must be like flying a MIG around the lounge, a Supra at Blyton. Once you get it on a proper circuit you can get the thing wound up a bit ;)

Oil is cheap compared to new turbos, and it does sound like a turbo seal issue. I would just take a couple of gallons of oil with you and run them as they are! Must be like flying a MIG around the lounge, a Supra at Blyton. Once you get it on a proper circuit you can get the thing wound up a bit ;)

I have to say it surprised me how (I wont say nimble..) manouverable the supra was around there. And getting to 6k rpm in 4th down the back straight before the chicane was pretty good. At this point hitting the brakes at maybe 120mph cooked the brake fluid after 2 or 3 laps.

I think its time to get my uk brakes on there and a change of fluid..

cant wait to get it to a real circuit :)

Cooked the brake fluid? That would result in the brake pedal going immediately to the floor with zero braking effect. It's something you remember vividly, especially if you are going as fast as you ought to be on a track. Are you sure it wasn't pad fade? Pretty firm pedal, lesser and lesser braking effect as the heat goes higher and higher? Sprint tracks tend to be really hard on the brakes when they have decent straights between the tight wiggles, like Blyton.

If you could still find the Performance Friction race pads for the UK calipers, they would work on road from cold and for serious track usage, albeit dirtily and noisily. If there was such a thing as a quiet, clean pad compound that worked from cold to full race temps, then high end makers would use it. There isn't... If you are serious about track days, you need to have two sets of pads, or compromise on the road. I can supply my full race compound, and it has excellent bite even when cold, once bedded, but noise and dirt are apparent.

Short of going to a high end casting from the likes of AP, Brembo or Alcon on alloy bells, I find the stock UK discs by far the best commercially available casting. I have supplied AP fully floating discs on alloy bells that go under stock UK calipers. Wes on here has them and has spoken highly of them in serious track usage.

Good job I have some normal pads still sat around for the uk brakes on the road then!

I have the standard discs too which I will use for now, but I am interested in the race pads for the track provided I dont spend a fortune on any repairs next week...

How much for a set for the fronts? Or better to email?

If it is the turbos it was only to be expected with the age to be honest

how do you find the response of the hybrids compared to the stock j specs?

my eventual plan is upgrade power to say 6 to 700bhp but with the aim of maximizing response rather than all out power.

I dont think I want to shell out for an expensive turbo kit just yet so if the hybrids are good I may go that route

Go single :) great response times with the latest turbos out at the moment :)

Agree with Kitsch and Hitbox I blew the no2 turbo Had hybrids done by AET Blew up after only 1600 miles After that no2 turbo kept blowing its seal So after six seals and near demented,I went single and never looked back I know hybrids are cheaper but honestly after my own saga, save up for a single