The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My 2001 £750 Bargain

Jezz

So back in June last year I wanted a cheap runaround, so I privately sourced a 40k mile 2001 NA in Japan. My guy sent me pics and checked her out, then gave me the whopping price of....145000 yen. £747.21p :D

480895_9.jpg

The reason it was cheap...it was red. And it wasn't supposed to be. Shakens all checked out mileage wise, so on the boat it went. Cost me about £1300 to ship with taxes and customs once landed.

So in August I met Littlenum at the docks to pick her up. I think we were both in shock when it rolled out the storage area! I certainly didnt expect such an immaculate car. The paintwork was perfect, interior was mint, and underneath was like new!

IMG_1100 (1).jpg

IMG_1099 (1).jpg

IMG_1084 (1).jpg

So once she was home I took a good look round. Perfect, the paint job although not the original colour was indeed the later Toyota red, and was a great paint job! Engine bay or floor pan hadn't been done mind. I found a tag on the underside of the bonnet for a bodyshop. Being curious as to why someone wanted a Quicksilver car painted red, I googled the s*!t out of this place, and called them in the hope someone would speak English. They did! Turns out the car had only been painted 6 months before I bought it. Expecting 'Accident' information (Which I didnt really care about, this was supposed to be my daily), I was surprised when he told me it was just a straight repaint! The customer wanted it red. I mean..WTF?

It went straight through its Mot with 1 advisory of weak shocks, and registration was quick and painless. I now had a Y plate Supra. :)

So off to Keron to get some BC coilovers and some 18" Rota's just to fatten her up a bit.

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

Fast forward to earlier this year, and you may remember I had a run in with a Romanian truck coming at me the wrong way round a roundabout and exiting into my path. Luckily avoided any contact, but kerbed both n/s rims avoiding the back wheels of an Artic that wanted to run over the front end of my car. So I took her to Pete at Paint-tec in Northampton to see about getting the wheels done. These guys paint Million pound original D-type Jags, and a £16 million 250 GTO, so I trusted his judgement somewhat. We got onto the subject of the original paint, and how it annoyed me that the engine bay was still original. A good few £0000 may have changed hands. :taped: Much difference from the £1000 I paid for the first paint job and kit fit on that TRD aero that I 'Botched'. :rolleyes:

Anyways I agreed to strip the car as much as I could myself on my drive, then drive the chassis over and continue the full strip down at Paint-tec.

Due to MVP's total incompetence (It isn't over yet, watch this space) I had to wait months and months before I could take it over due to needing the bits I'd ordered (8 months ago and one part never turned up at all) before Pete could start painting it.

So the main bit I was waiting for eventually turned up 4 weeks ago, so over she went.

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Bucket seats...

IMG_1809.jpg

So here we are 4 weeks later, I've been over all day putting her back together to a point I could drive her home to continue putting it back together tomorrow. Its stunning. Simply stunning. Now fully painted in its original 1B9 colour, with a genuine Ridox carbon rear lip and an MVP front lip thats been cleverly disguised as a stock one for now because as we all know, MVP dont stock MVP lips. :taped:

So my £750 cheap run around is now a stunning Quicksilver car with 45k miles on it. Its only half together, so here's some half teasers... :D

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

Now, about that engine and box...

To be continued....

Nice car.

That was cheap for £1300 shipped to UK.

How did you get it that price as I also seems car in Japan that I woul like ship to UK,

If you could plz let me know how to get worth that price and how it works would really help me thanks.

Nice car.

That was cheap for £1300 shipped to UK.

How did you get it that price as I also seems car in Japan that I woul like ship to UK,

If you could plz let me know how to get worth that price and how it works would really help me thanks.

That was £1300 just for the shipping and duty once landed. Car owed me around £2k on the road in the UK.

Bear in mind it was May/June last year I bought it, prices have gone mental in Japan since then. You'd be lucky to be under £3.5k in the road now.

Because he wanted the most costly N/A auto maybe?

I wouldn't say £2k for a 2001 NA with 35k on it is costly? Granted it cost me to get it painted back to original colour, but it still owes me less than you see 94 NA's go for.

Plus, you can't get a better base car for a project!

You've done really well there mate. Big plans ahead?

Possibly. I really only bought it for a cheap every day runaround. It's just a great base for a build now it's back in its original quicksilver! It really is a minter.

On the one hand I don't want to ruin a great reliable every day drive and stack 100 miles a day on it, but you know how it is. I was looking at a turbo on one of our trains earlier and wondered if it would fit... :D