The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearing issue not solved

v6shep

So, on a small run, all seemed ok after fresh atf, took the car out last night, was ok for a couple mile, back to square one, no gear change after 2nd, sometimes a little shift to 3rd until putting a little more on the pedal. Then straight into second again.

I correct myself, it's fluttering between 3rd and 4th as and when it feels like it, the whole journey to work from howden to thorne

Also, I did the fault code check and nothing came up

Edited by v6shep (see edit history)

Actually, when I had the high idle issue (still ongoing at times) if I remember correctly, a friend was messing under there with plugs, sure he was unplugging s few things and plugging them back in

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you dave

As nobody could help me with the above.....

I'd just wanted to thank u all for replying and trying to help regarding gear issues and let you know, magically, the car seems to be behaving gear wise now. All smooth, around 22800-3000rpm @ 70mph depending what mood she's in, but still, I've ordered my filter/gasket set so will obviously crack on with that when it arrives as DaveP suggested, along with the gut feeling this car has everything in it from when it was built 22 years ago and nobody within that time has ever bothered with the old girl.

On another subject, hoping not to have to start a new thread and annoy people....

All has so far seemed hunky dory, bar the odd one or ten poor cold starts (splutter like mad, kick into revs, shed loads of black smoke, all since engine oil change), now the car is sat on my high Street, drove it to the bank, a couple minutes away, pretty high revs again, stopped, turned off, now it won't starts, it's trying to, you can just tell, but not igniting, just a strong burning smell, and (for want of a better explanation) a very carbon/rich smell from under hood/exhaust. Given the fact the car hasn't had any tlc and I stood it up for 18 month until a year ago, would you say time for new plugs? If so, any other parts I should look at changing in the process so as not to go half assed? Please, no engine swap jokes or change of car jokes, hears them all, they bore me. I'm just a guy who loves his first supra (albeit an n/a) and want it running sweet

Many thanks guys, if no reply, I'll make a new thread, but hoping to keep it here

Cheers wile e

Gunna get on with that today David.

And everything I said above, straight out the window again. Hope this filter hurries up as it's just jumping into neutral now between gears until about 4k revs, even then it's still not gone up a gear