The mkiv Supra Owners Club

urgent help identifying noise!!!!

supra_24

Hi guys,

Been driving the supra around for a few days now after having a bit of work done on it. Been very smooth so far until later this afternoon.

Later today I pulled up onto the drive after having spent about an hour or so driving around and down the dual carriage way. Not driving too hard, just a spirited drive.

After pulling up, I noticed a odd clanging noise coming from the engine bay?

I am aware that the new 6 speed box rattles etc. But this was defo coming from the engine bay area.

Video below:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=13BF382DA5B63B49!17521&authkey=!AMO47yC02x_sEjg&ithint=video%2cmp4

I have a top secret bumper with metal SRD undertray, so wasnt sure if those were clanging, as the car has 264 cams and does vibrate quite a lot whilst idle.

I have shown Paul the video and he says it dosnt sound right.

But i am not sure whether it would be advisable to drive to south wales with it or not tomorrow?

Any ideas?

Help appreciated.

Regards

Ash

It sounds like 2 noises singing together, something like waterpump bearing failing or auxiliary belt failing and making the spring adjuster rattle, or even crank pulley failing and another, aftermarket clutch rattle or a failing dual mass flywheel sort of noise?

I wouldn't drive it like that.

I have a brand new v161 gearbox with new spec aftermarket light flywheel and spec stage 1 clutch. They are all good. I know the flywheel/gearbox you can hear slightly in the background rattling away.

I'm more concerned with the the clanging from the engine bay. The engine was warm when this was happening. The noise did seem to go away or go quiet for a period of time then come back etc.

I checked the engine oil with my Dad and it seemed to be ok.

Anymore ideas?

What's wrong with the idea of checking your belt and pulleys?

I would certainly do, but am quite limited on the tools to do so. Its going to be trailered to Whifbitz for inspection, as i have been advised now by a few not to drive it anywhere atm.

From your experience guys and the noise in the video, it wouldn't be engine knock would it?

That's what I am trying to find out, as really hope it isn't?

Hopefully so, I thought it was a bit strange to happen all of a sudden.

The only thing that worried me at first was that when I picked it up from Whifbitz last Wednesday, I did have to fill up on a tiny bit of unleaded fuel as an emergency, only £15 worth to get me to the next station for super unleaded.

Since then I have filled up on at least a tank and a half of super unleaded. So I would have thought it would be ok and not the cause of this?

Hopefully so, I thought it was a bit strange to happen all of a sudden.

The only thing that worried me at first was that when I picked it up from Whifbitz last Wednesday, I did have to fill up on a tiny bit of unleaded fuel as an emergency, only £15 worth to get me to the next station for super unleaded.

Since then I have filled up on at least a tank and a half of super unleaded. So I would have thought it would be ok and not the cause of this?

id say 0 chance. don't worry about that. whifbitz will find the cause, just make sure you have had a good look yourself before spending all that money getting it towed, could be something really simple.

Cheers guys for all your help. Me and my Dad have had a good look, using the old flathead screw driver and putting our ear to it to identify where exactly the noise is emitting from. No luck. Don't believe it to be the induction heat shield as it would have made the noise before as well i would have thought.

This car has been a right pain, since I bought it last year in March. I knew it was going to be a project.

But its quite disheartening when you spend all that time getting it all fixed up, then thinking its finally done and ready to drive a year later. Then suddenly another issue shows up, like the one above :/

Hopefully its nothing major. But I will defo keep you guys updated and let you know the outcome later this week ;)

A quick update on this guys, as I know its annoying when the resolution to the problem isnt posted up lol.

I had the supra trailered to Whifbitz, just in case and found that the cause of the strange rattling noise was due to air trapped in the power steering pump system.

The power steering system was re-tested and fluid was also topped up and now no more annoying noise ;)

Thought you guys may like to know the end result.

Regards

Ash