The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with changing turbos! Stuck at last bit!

Timlowthian

Looking for some help as im so close but now stuck.

Im changing my stock twins as the second one has died, i have stripped everything down but i just cant get then off.

I cannot undo the 4 bolts on each turbo that attach them to the manifold. I cant seem to get a socket on them as its either too small to get to the nut over the stud or just too big to get the ratchet on after. I also dont have the leverage to undo them with a spanner.

What have other people used? Any links to a better socket or anything?

Pics below of where im at.

Can you get to the 6 manifold bolts underneath the turbo's? If so then you can loosen the top ones too and support the turbo's and remove them still attached (they are very heavy so a friend or engine hoist will be handy). I've not done it myself but I have the turbo's and manifold from someone that has and they are still joined together. You can then split them further as it should be easier out of the engine bay?

A ring or combination spanner is what you need on the turbo nuts, not a socket. Use a tube over the spanner or lock a ring spanner on the C of the combination spanner to get more leverage if you haven't been eating your Weetabix.

What Chris said and also when I removed them nuts on top of the manifold I needed a breaker bar! but be careful not to damage your car. Leverage here is your friend :D