Best profile for 19" rim... post#22

berg

Ah i mixed up mine areactually 40 front 35 rear not the other way round

Ill have a look at 35 front and 30 rear maybe just to be safe

Handling wise shouldnt effect me, i dont batter it around or anything like that

Ah i mixed up mine areactually 40 front 35 rear not the other way round

Ill have a look at 35 front and 30 rear maybe just to be safe

Handling wise shouldnt effect me, i dont batter it around or anything like that

I found at bpu on wot I had little grip on boost with 19's. Back end was very lively.

Hmm ill give them a try and see what they are like, if its too bad ill switch back to my rotas 18"

Ive found tyre leader currently selling the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 295 30 19 for £81 each which is an absolute bargain

Currently have 35 front and 40 rear on a 18" rim

Will i need to drop to a 30 front and 35 rear if i go 19"?

Im hoping to squeeze a 295 wide on a 19" 10J ET35 and the car is quite low so im not sure if a 40 profile will be too much with the 19"

Stock tyre sizes:

Front: 235/45R17

Rear: 255/40R17

Ideally you want to keep the diameter of the new tyres as close to stock as possible, use a tyre calculator http://www.willtheyfit.com/ to compare the stock tyres against the tyres you are considering.

Stock tyre sizes:

Front: 235/45R17

Rear: 255/40R17

Ideally you want to keep the diameter of the new tyres as close to stock as possible, use a tyre calculator http://www.willtheyfit.com/ to compare the stock tyres against the tyres you are considering.

I have had a check on there and it seems the width drastically changes the speedo reading more so than the profile change

the 295 makes it 2.17% different to my current setup

where as keeping it the same 265 with just the profile change makes it 0.17% different

But how are so many people running such wide and extreme tyre setups if it makes such a huge difference?

Pretty certain Hodge had 315 25 19 on the rear of his

I have had a check on there and it seems the width drastically changes the speedo reading more so than the profile change

the 295 makes it 2.17% different to my current setup

where as keeping it the same 265 with just the profile change makes it 0.17% different

But how are so many people running such wide and extreme tyre setups if it makes such a huge difference?

Pretty certain Hodge had 315 25 19 on the rear of his

That's because the profile (aspect ratio) of the tyre is the percentage of the width of the tyre

265/40R19 ie. the tyre sidewall height is 40% of 265mm = 106mm

295/40R19 ie. the tyre sidewall height is 40% of 295mm = 118mm

315/40R19 ie. the tyre sidewall height is 40% of 315mm = 126mm

So the wider the tyre the smaller the aspect ratio of the tyre needs to be to keep the outer diameter the same.

So Hodges tyres are 315/25R19 the tyre sidewall height is 25% of 315mm = 78.75mm

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I see

In that case maybe i will stick with the same width i have now and go for a 265 30 19 for the rear instead of a 295

Shame really as the 295's are on offer and are nearly £50 cheaper each, than the 265

I've previously used THIS website for working out anything tyre related.

It's intended to show how a new tyre with different width/height/size will compare to the one you already have but it's also useful to see if, when you're buying new tyres for the front and rear, what the overall diameter of the complete wheel will be.

It also shows you speedo differences too. Although I always thought that wheel size didn't impact speedo readings because its the revolutions of the axle not the wheel that is measured?

It also shows you speedo differences too. Although I always thought that wheel size didn't impact speedo readings because its the revolutions of the axle not the wheel that is measured?

I suppose from a technical side, a bigger wheel would turn the axle less amount of times as a smaller wheel would, to cover the same distance

Which i guess is why the speedo would read slightly lower than you are actually travelling with a bigger wheel

Ive just answered my own last question :D

I suppose from a technical side, a bigger wheel would turn the axle less amount of times as a smaller wheel would, to cover the same distance

Which i guess is why the speedo would read slightly lower than you are actually travelling with a bigger wheel

Ive just answered my own last question :D

Yeah that does make sense.

What is the difference in complete wheel diameter between your existing wheel and the 19 inch with your preferred tyre choice?