The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on launching a Supra on street tires?

msupra1

I'm hitting up the track for the first time next week and wanted to practice my launches.

It's 690bhp 6-speed car with a stage 3 single disc clutch, on Pirelli street tires 285/35.

My suspension is quite soft, and I run the lance alignment which seems to be doing me good.

On the street, the car hooks in 2nd, so traction with my combo is quite good.

I didn't practice launching that much yet but did some launches whenever I had the chance.

I have anti-lag setup for 4800rpm, it builds 15psi but when I go up to that rpm it quicly then drops down to 5500 after hitting anti-lag.

So to avoid hitting anti-lag... I rev to about 4200rpm steadily and it builds up some boost.

Instead of 'dumping' the clutch, I slip it a little and once I starts rolling then pin it.

By doing this it seems like it has gave me the best takeoff results so far. There is a little wheel hop if I slip it too quick, but I'm thinking if I drop the tire pressure down from the 34 to low 20's that should help?

On anti-lag, I dumped the clutch and was losing traction badly.

I have not tried slipping the clutch while hitting anti-lag yet.

I know the point of anti-lag is to help for launches, but I honestly had it setup for shits and giggles.. I don't want to keep beating on it if not necessary.

Any advice and tips? my first time running the 1/4.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what the ideal rpm Is for launching...

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)

I'd love to help you on this, but unfortunately I probably have less experience in regards to launching a car from a standstill than you... What ECU do you have? I have a Syvecs which launches at 6k rpm, and I don't have TC on my car but if I dump the clutch it only wheelspins for a bit then finds traction halfway through first. Maybe you need more meat on those rear wheels ;)

I have an AEM V2 standalone which doesn't have TC.

I practiced more launching today. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

It looks like anti-lag only works if I hit full throttle, if I hit the accelerator half way then I can freely rev the engine, but the rev limiter is set at 4800rpm

I experimented around 4000, 4200, 4500rpm etc... it seems to be the same story mostly every time.

I slip the clutch a little giving about half throttle and its getting some wheel spin and wheel hop, as soon as the wheel hop goes away I pin it, then shift to 2nd and off.

I think traction is not my biggest concern, its mostly wheel hop. The wheel hop is not really bad either but its significant. I have tried taking off quicker and the wheel hop gets worse. Maybe I can slip the clutch a little more for a smoother take off?

I can't really help you with this as I have only ever raced with an auto and the technique is very different, but you need to control the wheel hop or it will have an adverse effect on your ET. The cleaner the launch and first 60' the better the time. When and where are you racing? I will be at Santa Pod on the 4th. We were planning to go yesterday but as the weather was rubbish we gave it a miss.

I don't live in the UK :) I just find this a great helpful forum for a fellow J-spec owner.

Exactly, I am trying to get good at launching for a good/decent 60 foot time. The rest is easy.

It takes off quite nice minus the wheel hop. I'm sure wheel hop is not good for the drivetrain/differential/lsd either. Maybe I can try slipping the clutch a bit more.

I also reduced my rear tire pressure to 25psi. My street setting is about 34.

I can't really help you with this as I have only ever raced with an auto and the technique is very different, but you need to control the wheel hop or it will have an adverse effect on your ET. The cleaner the launch and first 60' the better the time. When and where are you racing? I will be at Santa Pod on the 4th. We were planning to go yesterday but as the weather was rubbish we gave it a miss.

I too will be at Santapod on the 4th :) are you there for the whole weekend?

I don't live in the UK :) I just find this a great helpful forum for a fellow J-spec owner.

Exactly, I am trying to get good at launching for a good/decent 60 foot time. The rest is easy.

It takes off quite nice minus the wheel hop. I'm sure wheel hop is not good for the drivetrain/differential/lsd either. Maybe I can try slipping the clutch a bit more.

I also reduced my rear tire pressure to 25psi. My street setting is about 34.

Wheel hop is a pain in the arse. I used to get it all the time when I had stock twins. What condition are your bushings and ball joints in, and the rest of the suspension in general?

Wheel hop is a pain in the arse. I used to get it all the time when I had stock twins. What condition are your bushings and ball joints in, and the rest of the suspension in general?

The car is a 1997, bushing are all original but look to be in pretty good shape, same as the rest of the drivetrain component in general. The coilovers are bilstein in good condition.

It just feels like its the wheel setup, it feels like its trying to catch grip but getting some wheel hop.

well, you don't launch a 700HP supra with 285 wide street tires. :D you need something wider, or at least something with more grip. advan ad08 are pretty good, as well as toyo proxes r 888... better rubber should help.

I have a HKS t04S single turbo supra, but it was set up for drifting as there are some 265 eco tires stretched over a 10.5 wheel on the rear (have to get some 285 wide ad08r-s). I get wheel speen in 3 gears on low boost and launching it is impossible. Anti-lag just makes it slip more :D slight slipping the clutch from about 5000 rpm seems the best way to launch mine - I get the quickest launch like this, but your case could be different...

QUOTE]

No just for the day so long as there is no or little rain forecast for the day. We live pretty close so for us there is no point in stopping over. Will look out for you there.

well, you don't launch a 700HP supra with 285 wide street tires. :D you need something wider, or at least something with more grip. advan ad08 are pretty good, as well as toyo proxes r 888... better rubber should help.

I have a HKS t04S single turbo supra, but it was set up for drifting as there are some 265 eco tires stretched over a 10.5 wheel on the rear (have to get some 285 wide ad08r-s). I get wheel speen in 3 gears on low boost and launching it is impossible. Anti-lag just makes it slip more :D slight slipping the clutch from about 5000 rpm seems the best way to launch mine - I get the quickest launch like this, but your case could be different...

The Pirelli P-zero have larger sidewall than a traditional 35 series. its more like a 40.

I agree I would go wider if I could but I'm fully flushed out with my wheel offset.

It fully hooks in 2nd, the traction is great... just not in 1st, its grips a bit when accelerating to redline after the wheel hop over . The coilovers suspension is quite soft so it helps since it squats down on acceleration.

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)