The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed on full respray

nihontoman

Hello there guys.

I recently imported a single turbo white 6 speed with auction grade 4 and 73k kms on odometer. But it turns out, there are some minor rust issues on the body ( I would be surprised if it was clean really, I mean it is 20 years old). This car will almost be a daily, besides other 3. I don't plan on leaving it in a garage or anything like it, it will be used in rain and so on. So I've been thinking about getting it completely respraid. A shop here would tear it down to just bare shell and panels and repaint it. Is this a good idea? I mean the paintjob won't be original and blablabla, but there won't be any rust issues for foreseeable future. Besides, I'm planing on a much better veraion of white - pearl white rather that the dull white white it is now :)

Also, do I need to keep in mind something specific when it comes to getting supras to bare shell? What are the potential problems?

Yeah, it sounds very expensive, but these guys did the same thing on a Mercedes G55 and it cost the owner about 10000 GEL which is like 2500£. And let's not forget G55 is MUCH more cimplicated, with its chasis, frame and shitloada of electronics... so yeah. Perks of living in eastern european country :D Is it still expensive? How much would a job like that cost in the UK?

You'd pay £2500 just to get it painted here without taking anything off.

that's why I thought it would be a good and relatively inexpensive way to freshen up the body

What language are the Caucasus Auto Service replies written in? (Just curious).

it's Georgian. We Georgians call it Kartuli though :)

yep :)

Soo, what do you guys think? anything I should know before doing it? or should I just drive the car to them these days, leave it there and hope for the best? :D

There are some spots in places usually not treated by some, i.e. at the top of the hatch door, door sils, inside engine bay. The interior side is free of rust. The boot is very clean. A guy who inspected the car said it would be good to repaint the whole car if I wanted to get to all the rust spots or I could just paint the exterior and don't mind the smaller one's... But I have a bit of an OCD and I really like the idea of refreshing the shell :) I could change my mind if it isn't necessary really... :)