The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What difference between RZ and GZ?

Guest alexmslv

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people ;)

RZ = TT

GZ = RZ + extras if my brain serves me correctly.

SZ = NA

Your options are:

UK Specification Twin Turbo (full specification interior)

import non-turbo SZ

import twin turbo RZ (standard interior)

Import twin turbo GZ (full specification interior)

All of the above cars are available in auto or manual, and are available in all the normal colours. If you want a Supra with a removable roof (aerotop) then you have the choice of a non-turbo (auto or manual), or a twin turbo GZ (auto only). UK cars were never supplied with an aerotop.

RZ = TT, hardtop, 6 spd
A lot of RZ models were Auto trans. Mine is one of them.

Here's my interpretation:

RZ = Auto or manual. Hardtop only. It's the base model TT but almost all the extras found on the GZ were optional on the RZ. Some RZ Supras are virtually the same spec as a hardtop GZ.

GZ= Auto only. Hardtop or Aerotop. Full spec TT (All the RZ optional extras as standard on the GZ)

SZ= Auto or manual. Hardtop or Aerotop. Non turbo.

The answer to this question depends on whether you're talking about pre or post facelift Jspecs. After the facelift the RZ was manual only, had big wheels & brakes, LSD, uprated ABS & suspension, Recaro seats etc. The RZ-S was manual or auto, and these things were not standard, they were optional. The GZ doesn't exist after the facelift.

Before the facelift, the GZ was auto only (with LSD), the RZ was auto or manual, with the LSD standard on the manual and optional on the auto. Both had small wheels & brakes as standard with the bigger ones as options.

This is all assuming you're talking about Jap cars.

After the facelift the RZ was manual only, had big wheels & brakes, LSD, uprated ABS & suspension, Recaro seats etc. The RZ-S was manual or auto, and these things were not standard, they were optional.

So that means my '98 Tiptronic VVTi with small brakes is a RZ-S, right?